General Assembly of the Reformed Baptist Churches 'The Means of Grace' this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuritanCovenanter

The Joyful Curmudgeon
Staff member
The General Assembly of Association of Reformed Baptist Churches in America is meeting next week April 5-7, 2011 at Trinity Reformed Baptist Church, La Mirada, CA.

My buddy Dr. Richard Barcellos is going to preach on the Lord's Supper as a means of Grace. Here is a blurb of what he said in a posting about it.

FYI, I am scheduled to lecture/preach on the Lord’s Supper as means of grace at the ARBCA GA next Wednesday night. The blog post is part of my message. The other part is the more important part – the biblical basis for the Lord’s Supper as means of grace. I will be concentrating on 1 Cor.10:16 (and 17, briefly). I think it is the most important text in the Bible which advocates the Supper as means of grace. The point I am seeking to make from this text is that bread and wine are signs which signify present participation or present communion in the present benefits procured by Christ’s body and blood. This is why someone like Benjamin Keach said, “There is a mystical conveyance or communication of all Christ’s blessed merits to our souls through faith held forth hereby, and in a glorious manner received, in the right participation of [the Lord’s Supper]” (Weaver quoting Keach, 24). Likewise, Surgeon said, “At this table, Jesus feeds us with his body and blood…” Koinwnia in the blood and body of Christ brings spiritual nourishment to souls. In other words, the Lord’s Supper is a means of grace!

I will also be looking at two texts which speak about the ministry of the Holy Spirit in relation to our exalted Redeemer in bringing mediatorial, redemptive benefits to the souls of believers – Eph. 1:3 and 3:16-17. After looking at these texts I will draw this conclusion from the biblical evidence: 1 Corinthians 10:16 along with Ephesians 1:3 and 3:16-17 give us a clue as to the nature of the Lord’s Supper and how the Spirit of God functions in the midst of the Supper in relation to our exalted Redeemer. The Supper is a means of grace. Believers are untied to Christ by faith. Faith is the means through which the Spirit of God brings to the souls of believers the benefits of union with Christ. This is what is called the real, spiritual presence of Christ view of the Lord’s Supper.

I take it that my assignment is to show not that, but how the Lord’s Supper is a means of grace. My answer to that is that the Lord’s Supper is a means of grace because of what the Holy Spirit does in the souls of believers when local churches partake of the Lord’s Supper – the Spirit effects communion between the exalted Redeemer and his pilgrim people on the earth. Or, the Lord's Supper is a means of grace at which Christ is present by His divine nature and during which the Holy Spirit nourishes the souls of believers with the benefits wrought for us in Christ's humanity which is now glorified and in heaven at the right hand of the Father.

As a sneak peek here is what Rich is going to do. Please pray for his endeavor in this so the body of Christ might be strengthened and edified.

This year the General Assembly of the Association of Reformed Baptist Churches is meeting April 5-7, 2011 at Trinity Reformed Baptist Church, La Mirada, CA.

On Wednesday evening at 7:00 PM Rich Barcellos will be preaching on The Lord’s Supper as a Means of Grace. As one who grew up under the ministry of a wonderful Pastor who preached this, I can affirm that this will be a topic of most importance. Especially when it comes to the health of the body of Christ and her relationship to God.

Rich is going to start with proving that the Lord's table is a means of Grace based upon 1 Corinthians 10:16 and then he will proceed to other texts in relation to the topic. He proves his point drawing from the church's history up to modern writers who shepherd the flock of God today. Then he proceeds to show that our wonderful 1677/89 London Baptist Confession of faith and the 1693 Baptist Catechism affirm what he has exegeted and exposed from the scripture and history. This sermon will prove to be an edifying, health building blessing to all who get to hear it.

Here is the syllabus for the Conference.

ARBCA General Assembly: April 5-7, 2011 at Trinity Reformed Baptist Church, La Mirada, CA.
Conference Webpage: TBA

ARBCA General Assembly 2011
“The Means of Grace”
Tuesday, April 5
8:30 AM Devotional – Pastor David Johnston
8:50 AM Prayer
9:20 AM Announcements
9:30 AM Election of Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Secretary of the GA.
9:35 AM Roll Call of the churches and seating of the delegates
9:55 AM Recognition of Guests
10:05 AM Home Missions including introduction of new member churches
10:30 AM Break
11:00 AM Annual Circular Letter and discussion
11:35 AM Sermon – “Defining the Means of Grace” – Dr. Jim Renihan
12:30 PM Lunch
4:45 PM Theological Discussion
5:45 PM Supper
7:00 PM Sermon – “Preaching as a Means of Grace” – Pastor Tom Lyon

Wednesday, April 6
8:30 AM Devotional and Prayer – Pastor Jim Dundas
9:00 AM Announcements
9:05 AM Sermon – “Baptism as a Means of Grace” – Dr. Fred Malone
10:00 AM Break
10:30 AM Annual Business Meeting
11:50 AM Theological Discussion
12:30 PM Lunch – Welcome Reception for New Member Churches
7:00 PM Sermon – “The Lord’s Supper as a Means of Grace” – Dr. Richard Barcellos

Thursday, April 7
8:30 AM Devotional and Prayer – Pastor Steve Woodman
9:00 AM Announcements
9:05 AM Theological Discussion
10:10 AM Missionary Report – Omar Ramos
10:40 AM Break
11:05 AM Missionary Report – Matthew Brennan
11:35 AM Sermon – “Prayer as a Means of Grace” – Pastor Mike Renihan
12:30 PM Lunch
7:00 PM Sermon – “The Minister’s Expectation of Success” – Pastor Steve Garrick