Generally Speaking, What Era Had/Has Your Favourite Theologians To Read?

Which Is The Era Of Your Favourite Theologians To Read?

• Ante-Nicene Fathers

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nicene/Post-Nicene Fathers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle Ages

• Reformation

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 1600's

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • 1700's

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • 1800's

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 1900's

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 2000's +

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going 20th century just because it was these individuals (most notably, Sproul) that got me into the Reformed faith in the first place. If it were not for them, I might still be stuck in an Arminian Dispensational church... yikes. However, God predestines everything so there are no "might have's" or "maybe's".

Exceptionally readable and eminently practical. His most famous works are in my opinion the best - The Pilgrim's Progress (both parts) and The Holy War. He can be very solemn and searching, his works on The Barren Fig Tree and The Greatness of the Soul are also excellent.

I should point out that so far I have only read about 30-40% of his works, but fully intend to read the rest God Willing.
I have only read his treatise on prayer, and some of Pilgrim's Progress. I find I need a good amount of time set aside to profit from him, which is hard for me right now.

But, I own his Complete Works, so it is only a matter of time before I read some more.

Boston’s Works (does that include his Marrow notes?) is my desert island pick. Just to add to what Patrick said, he is able to summarize Reformed doctrine with little desire to make a name for himself by pushing some modern agenda.
Is he one of the best of the 1700's then? I don't know of very many theologians from that time period. John Newton comes to mind.

While having an appreciation for the Puritans and other historical times, I prefer the modern era best because, especially in the last 50 or 60 years or so, Reformed Christianity has acquired scholars who are not only good at their scholarship but are also talented writers.

Packer, Horton, Reymond, Sproul, Carrick, Beeke, etc., etc. Among the non-Reformed (generally speaking) - Bruce, Carson, MacArthur, etc. You really can't beat the modern era for fine scholarship combined with great writing skills.
I think I have to disagree with you on this point; or, at least disagree on the definition of "great writing skills."

If you mean that their writing is clear, understandable, and they communicate effectively to the modern reader, then yes, that is true.

But, I would say that the skill of writers from centuries past was on a whole different level than today's writers. Any perceived lack in their writing can usually be blamed on the reader's inability to read well.

Surely some of this is due to the changing English language; but I would argue that this change is for the worse. That opens up a different conversation though; one about education and the like.

Puritans. Because I hate modern junk and their ten or so pages of nothing but anecdotes per chapter. When they hit a punch line you are left with 'ok....common sense'? That is probably why Al Mohler and DA Carson can read ten books a week.
Indeed. Not all modern writing is like this; but I know what you mean.

When I think of Dutch theologians of the 1900s I mostly have in mind Herman Bavinck, Louis Berkhof, and Geerhardus Vos (though Berkhof and Vos could be called Americans). There were other notable guys too, but those are the main three I've read. I've never read a' Brakel, who came earlier, except for short excerpts.
Ah okay. I'll have to stick with a' Brakel for now. Just too many authors!

My ancestral heritage definitely affects what books I am drawn to.

I'm going 20th century just because it was these individuals (most notably, Sproul) that got me into the Reformed faith in the first place. If it were not for them, I might still be stuck in an Arminian Dispensational church... yikes. However, God predestines everything so there are no "might have's" or "maybe's".
Does the appreciation for Sproul now begin to increase because he has died?

In seriousness, and upon reflection, I get a special joy reading Dutchmen. That's probably because of my Dutch heritage
I have explained to the beloved Dutchmen in my country that Scotland, not the Netherlands, is known as the land of the covenant :) So you need to read the Scottish Puritans :)

When I think of Dutch theologians of the 1900s I mostly have in mind Herman Bavinck, Louis Berkhof, and Geerhardus Vos (though Berkhof and Vos could be called Americans). There were other notable guys too, but those are the main three I've read. I've never read a' Brakel, who came earlier, except for short excerpts
Seriously, both Bavinck's and Vos' Reformed Dogmatics are one of the greatest gifts to the church.

I chose the 17th century because of the writings of Jonathan Edwards - Puritanism mixed with a mighty work of the Spirit of God.

Hello all, this is my first ever post on the forum.

Re the poll: That's quite hard to choose! I'm reading a lot of William Tyndale's works at the moment but I'm also reading J.H. Merle d'Aubigne's "History Of The Reformation" along with some of Calvin's "Institutes" and Richard Sibbes "The Bruised Reed".
I'm actually quite new relatively speaking to Reformed thinking and theology as after my conversion I was swept up into the charismatic craze of the early 1990's and sat under a lot of bad teaching for many years without realising that it was bad teaching. The Lord graciously opened my eyes through a series of incidents and I'm now free of all that and getting some good solid teaching and theology through the Baptist church I now attend.
I was happy to find this forum!

Re the poll: That's quite hard to choose! I'm reading a lot of William Tyndale's works at the moment but I'm also reading J.H. Merle d'Aubigne's "History Of The Reformation" along with some of Calvin's "Institutes" and Richard Sibbes "The Bruised Reed".
I'm actually quite new relatively speaking to Reformed thinking and theology as after my conversion I was swept up into the charismatic craze of the early 1990's and sat under a lot of bad teaching for many years without realising that it was bad teaching. The Lord graciously opened my eyes through a series of incidents and I'm now free of all that and getting some good solid teaching and theology through the Baptist church I now attend.
I was happy to find this forum!

Welcome to the forum! Most of us have been in your shoes where we were taught bad theology and God opened our eyes to the Reformed faith. If you ever have questions, I'm sure anyone on this forum (including me) would be happy to help out! Also, there is a thread for those new to reformed thinking. You can post questions here: https://www.puritanboard.com/forums/the-wading-pool-questions-from-the-newly-reformed.121/

Again, welcome brother!

I voted 1800s, because I don't think any age has had nearly as many excellent theological works published in the English language. If I could read Latin, my answer might have been different.
Consider the following English-language theologians of the 1800s:
Charles Hodge
A. A. Hodge
Dabney
Thornwell
Warfield
Cunningham
Fairbarin
J. A. Alexander
Bannerman
Shedd
Breckinridge
Miller

Many more could be named.

I love almost everything about Victorian England. I have a Spurgeon sticker on my car.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is he one of the best of the 1700's then? I don't know of very many theologians from that time period. John Newton comes to mind.
Given that this was the century in which much enlightenment thinking was gaining ground in the church, there weren't quite as many powerhouses as the 1600's in my opinion. However Boston and other Marrowmen were solid theologians. Among the Anglicans, men helpful to read are Newton, Augustus Toplady, William Romaine and Whitefield. Congegationalists such as Watts and Doddridge and Baptists such as John Gill, Benjamin Beddome, Andrew Fuller, and William Carey. Also Matthew Henry!

Given that this was the century in which much enlightenment thinking was gaining ground in the church, there weren't quite as many powerhouses as the 1600's in my opinion. However Boston and other Marrowmen were solid theologians. Among the Anglicans, men helpful to read are Newton, Augustus Toplady, William Romaine and Whitefield. Congegationalists such as Watts and Doddridge and Baptists such as John Gill, Benjamin Beddome, Andrew Fuller, and William Carey. Also Matthew Henry!
Adam Gib comes to mind, although he's not terribly well known. There's Edwards, of course.

Welcome aboard, Joe! We are looking forward to many fruitful discussions with you in the future.

Our site contains a wealth of edifying and informative content. For starters, I recommend you start at the following link to get a sense of the basic ground rules:
https://www.puritanboard.com/help/terms

Then review this:
https://www.puritanboard.com/help/9th-commandment/

Lastly, if you are so inclined, after you have made 25 posts, you can post something about yourself in the following Members Only thread that may be of interest to others. It is a running commentary on the interests and goings on of our members that is not viewable by non-members, nor searchable by internet search bots:

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/who-are-you-guys-tell-us-a-little-about-yourself.91462/

Welcome aboard, Joe! We are looking forward to many fruitful discussions with you in the future.

Our site contains a wealth of edifying and informative content. For starters, I recommend you start at the following link to get a sense of the basic ground rules:
https://www.puritanboard.com/help/terms

Then review this:
https://www.puritanboard.com/help/9th-commandment/

Lastly, if you are so inclined, after you have made 25 posts, you can post something about yourself in the following Members Only thread that may be of interest to others. It is a running commentary on the interests and goings on of our members that is not viewable by non-members, nor searchable by internet search bots:

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/who-are-you-guys-tell-us-a-little-about-yourself.91462/

Many thanks for the links and info, it'll take me a while to get used to using the forum I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back