Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Genesis regroups for tour after 15-year break

November 7, 2006
CNN.com

LONDON, England (AP) -- Members of the rock group Genesis are reuniting for their first tour in 15 years.

Phil Collins, 55, Mike Rutherford, 56, and Tony Banks, 56, said they planned to kick off a 20-date stadium tour of Europe next June.

The "Turn it on Again" tour -- named for one of their hits -- begins in Helsinki, Finland, on June 11 and ends with a free concert in front of the Colosseum in Rome on July 14.

A series of U.S. dates will follow, the band said.

Genesis was founded in the mid-1960s by Rutherford, Banks, Anthony Phillips and singer Peter Gabriel, who left the group in 1975 and was replaced on vocals by drummer Collins.

They became one of the biggest bands of the 1970s and 80s, with hits such as "Follow You, Follow Me," "That's All" and "Invisible Touch."

The band last toured in 1991, and Collins quit the band to go solo in 1996.

Announcing the tour Tuesday, Collins -- whose solo career has netted him a fortune -- said the reunion was not motivated by money.

"I think we are all loaded enough not to worry about where the next million or two is coming from," he said.

"I just felt now was the right time to have a go at it."

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.

"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.

"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."

Copyright 2006 The Associated

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://www.genesislive.tv/

You can watch the press conference at the link. I'm a bit sad that Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett can't rejoin them for this tour, but it is still really cool news. Genesis is one of my favorites. I love the trio lineup as well as the classic Gabriel lineup. Hope they make a new album too (especially if it were with Gabriel).

For sure, they need Hackett and Gabriel. Without those two they'll just be doing all their pop stuff. I want to hear a new rendition of Supper's Ready.

Banks said the tour would give fans the chance to hear a side of the band that went beyond their hits.

"Genesis has another side to it, a more complex area of music," he said.

"One side gets slightly more attention than the other. We are trying to reacquaint people. Genesis is not particularly a group mentioned very much these days and we want to remind people we did do a lot of things."

Copyright 2006 The Associated

I don't know, sounds like they won't just be playing the hits. In recent years the guys have spoken more fondly of the classic material. At the press conference there was mention of Los Endos and In the Cage. A large motivation for this tour was the success of the Gabriel era cover band The Musical Box. I think they'll probably do a good balance of the prog and pop stuff, although they did confirm there will be no Supper's Ready.

For sure, they need Hackett and Gabriel. Without those two they'll just be doing all their pop stuff. I want to hear a new rendition of Supper's Ready.

:ditto:

I attended the "Selling England" concert and "Lamb Lies Down" -- both astonishing events!!

Anyone bereft of knowing what it was like when Gabe and Hackett were in the band, can't understand how important early Genesis was.

All the early albums: Nursery Crime; Trespass; Selling England by the Pound; The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, are in a completely different category than what came next.

It really was Peter Gabriel who personified the magic of Genesis.

How incredible it would be to have the true Genesis return! :candle:

Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.