Gentry, Bahnsen and Classical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quatchu

Puritan Board Sophomore
Is it possible to read Theonomic Postmillennialists like Gentry, Bahnsen and so on, and properly sift through there theonomist leanings. Are there views still close enough to Classical Postmillennialists that they can be read in order to understand the classical view point?

I suggest reading them without sifting through their theonomist leanings. :D

I benefitted greatly from listening to Bahnsen's tapes on Revelation, as did Dr Cornelius van Til

It's easy to distinguish their theonomy from their postmillennialism. What is more difficult is that they are more preterist than many classical postmillennialists.

Gentry is more preterist than Bahnsen. In Gentry's scheme Babylon in Revelation is first century Jerusalem and Revelation 4-19 is firstly all about that first century period.

Bahnsen is less preterist than Gentry. He also has the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70 in his scheme, but he sees Babylon as pagan Rome. Revelation 4-19 basically covers the first century to the fifth century.

I've adopted a scheme which is even less preterist. Babylon is the apostate Church. Revelation 19 is in the future, although the book refers also to the fall of Jerusalem, and gives Nero (666) as the first manifestation of "the Beast" (pagan and statist persecution down through the centuries) etc. The "Second Beast" is apostate Christianity, including the Papacy, but which had a particular manifestation in compromise with the demands of the Empire in the first century. So because apostate Christianity (Babylon) is still with us, persecution by pagans and the state is still with us (the Beast), and false teachers are still with us ( Beast 2), Revelation 19 must be still future. But the events of Revelation start in the first century with the destruction of Jerusalem. The opening of the scroll of history by Christ isn't going to be delayed until after then.

All these things must be taken with an interpretive pinch of salt as this is a difficult area of biblical study.

Charles Hodge highly recommended James Madison MacDonald's book on Revelation in a note in his Systematic Theology in the eschatology locus, and he follows a much more moderately preterist line than Bahnsen or Gentry, which In my humble opinion I think is likely to be more biblical.

People are using Revelation 4-19 like a squeeze box. The futurists squeeze it all into the future. The preterists squeeze it all into the first century or before the end of the fifth century.

A Key to the Book of Revelation (Classic Reprint): James Madison Macdonald: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: The life and writings of St. John (9781149450550): James Madison MacDonald, J S. 1816-1885 Howson: Books

Patrick Fairbairn is also worth reading as one of the greatest biblical theologians ever, and a postmil:
Patrick Fairbairn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His "Interpretation of Prophecy" used to be published by the Banner of Truth, but may be out of print, but is the sanest and best intro to the prophetic Scriptures and postmil. He should be read first In my humble opinion.

These books are good for an overview of views on Revelation. They're not as stupid as they look, if used with discretion:

Amazon.com: The Book of Revelation For Dummies (9780470045213): Larry R. Helyer, Richard Wagner: Books

Amazon.com: The Complete Idiot's Guide(R) to the Book of Revelation (0021898642387): Stan Campbell, James S. Bell Jr.: Books

Think of premil, amil, postmil views, and futurist, preterist, idealist, historicist views, as somewhat of a "process of elimination".

May the Lord guide you in your meditation and study in this not always easy area of His Word!

Last edited:
Any other ideas were "The Interpretation of Prophecy" might be found. It looks exactly what I'am looking for but I have searched most of the morning and have not been able to find a copy.

The "Second Beast" is apostate Christianity,
Sorry. I should have said that the Second Beast/False Prophet is apostate leaders setting up antichrists or becoming antichrists (and Antichrist) advising major compromise with the world and the powers that be.

In their original manifestation, something compromising was going on in the first century, although I remember - after all those years - I missed that particular tape by Bahnsen, because it wasn't available from the tape ministry I was in touch with. No doubt there are various candidates for what first century manifestation of compromised Christianity, John was speaking of here. But the point is that once the first century manifestation goes, the Second Beast isn't finished, just as when Nero (666/616) goes, the First Beast isn't finished. They're both still with us.

"the mystery of iniquity doth already work" (II Thessalonians)

Revelation can be looked at as a history of the Church in broad brush strokes, from the judgment of the Jewish Church/Old Jerusalem in AD 70, the Woman (the early Church/true Church) , turning into the Whore/Babylon/apostate Christianity (through pressure from the Dragon and his "Beasts"), eventually coming through as the New Jerusalem/the Lamb's Bride/ the "Silver Age" of Postmil Gospel Success and the Golden Age of Glory.

A wonderful true story!

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.(Eph 5:25-27, ESV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back