Gentry's Commentary on Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSixDays

Inactive User
Gentry\'s Commentary on Revelation

Dr. Gentry needs monetary help in completing his commentary on Revelation, titled The Divorce of Israel: An Introduction and Commentry on Revelation.

Being a full-time pastor has hindered his ability to work on this project. He wants to do it, and believes he can complete it within 12 months if his salary is met for that time.

Dr. Gentry is a wonderful man whose scholarship is impecable. I believe in him and this project, as do many. In an age of Left Behind theology being crammed down evangelical throats, his scholarship is desperately needed.

Here is his letter:

Dear Christian Friend:

I am excited about my IN-DEPTH COMMENTARY ON REVELATION. And judging from the consistent flow of letters, e-mails, phone calls, and conference questions I receive, I know that a great number of others are, as well. In light of your own interest in my studies, I am sending you this letter to update you regarding the status of this important project.

But first please allow me to begin by thanking you for your interest in my biblical and theological studies over the years. Your support has been both humbling and an essential source of encouragement to me. Research, writing, and speaking on biblical themes are exciting educational opportunities. But without God's blessing through providing people like you as a receptive audience, these endeavors would be a waste of time and resources "” a "beating the air," as Paul might put it (1 Cor. 9:26). Thank you for your support!

As you are aware, I have written and spoken widely on the Book of Revelation. You probably also have heard that I began research on a full-length commentary on Revelation several years ago. The working title for this project is: THE DIVORCE OF ISRAEL: AN INTRODUCTION AND COMMENTARY ON REVELATION (the title highlights John's theme of God's judging first century Israel for turning from Him in rejecting Christ).

Since first mentioning my (part-time) work on this commentary in the mid-1990s, I have received a steady flow of inquiries regarding its release date and urging its completion. Unfortunately, my busy schedule as a full-time pastor hindered my completing the project. Now, however, a very real opportunity for finishing my commentary has arisen. Please let me introduce you to this exciting prospect and what you can do to help.

Recently, a combination of circumstances and the interest of potential donors has encouraged me to return to my Revelation commentary on a full time basis. Consequently, I AM NOW RAISING MONEY TO UNDERWRITE MY WORKING FULL-TIME ON THE COMMENTARY. To provide adequate time for the focused concentration required for up-dating, expanding, and completing my research and writing, I need to raise funds to cover 12 months of a full-time salary package, certain office expenses, and additional research-related costs.

Thus, I am inviting you to assist me in finalizing my work. I am currently seeking financial donors to underwrite my "Revelation Commentary Project." Once sufficient gifts are in hand to cover full costs, I will be able to extricate myself from other competing obligations and focus entirely on the commentary.

Since I have already completed much foundational research, upon re-engaging my writing I can finish the commentary in 12 months.

HOWEVER, BEFORE I CAN EVEN BEGIN THIS IMPORTANT PROJECT, I MUST HAVE THE MONEY IN HAND. Without the assurance of funding for one full year, I will have to continue full-time labors that will prohibit my work on the commentary. I cannot re-start the research with partial funding only to discover a few months into it that I lack sufficient finances to complete it. Thus, I am seeking actual gifts in hand, rather than pledges.

To underwrite my Revelation Commentary Project I will need $80,000 to fund the research and writing for one year. I know that you are interested in seeing this commentary completed. I hope you will be able to give generously to make this dream a reality.

Since eschatology and Revelation are on the minds of Christians today. . . . Since many Christians are confused by a fallacious eschatological outlook. . . . Since eschatology is an important feature of a full-orbed biblical worldview. . . I believe this is an important project with the potential for an important impact on the Church.

MY COMMENTARY WILL BE DISTINCTIVE IN PROVIDING THE FOLLOWING:

"¢ A fully orthodox, evangelical, and conservative approach to a first century fulfillment of Revelation (known as "preterism"), while affirming the inspired character of the prophecy and avoiding heretical excesses;

"¢ A highlighting of Revelation's special relevance to John's original audience (which is so often overlooked), while emphasizing the long-term implications for the on-going Christian faith (which is generally thought to be lost in a preterist exposition);

"¢ A unified flow throughout Revelation which is rooted in John's judgment theme as stated in Revelation 1:7 (Christ will come against "those who pierced him," the first century Jews), and which gives full significance to the unmistakably Jewish flavor of the prophecies, the Hebrew character of John's unusual grammar, and his heavy use of the Old Testament;

"¢ A direct and irrefutable relationship between Revelation and Christ's Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24) regarding the destruction of the Jewish Temple and ritual system along with the collapse of the first century Jewish state;

"¢ A fundamental co-ordination of Revelation with the wider New Testament expectation of Christ's first century judgment upon the Temple and Israel (for example, Matt. 21:40-45; Acts 2:36-40; 1 Thess. 2:15-16; Heb. 8:13);

"¢ An unparalleled and fascinating interaction of Revelation's text with Josephus' writings, which provide the historical evidence of the first century fulfillment of John's prophecies;

"¢ An in-depth, verse-by-verse exegetical analysis of Revelation, which maintains readability for the intelligent Christian layman and transliterates the Greek characters into English;

"¢ An abundant use of side-bar studies and appendices designed to clear the confusion and allay the fears of modern evangelicals regarding preterism.

I am sure you can see the unique possibilities for my commentary. I am also confident that you are particularly interested in promoting this long neglected approach to Revelation.

WILL YOU SEND A GENEROUS CONTRIBUTION TO HELP BRING THIS REVELATION COMMENTARY PROJECT OUT OF MOTH-BALLS AND INTO THE MARKET-PLACE? Please be aware: Since KennethGentry.Com is not a 501 (c) 3 entity, I regret that the gift you make will not be tax-deductible. But I hope your interest in my Revelation research will encourage your sacrifice in this regard.

Would you send a check for $500? This would be enormously helpful. If this is not an opportune time for that size gift, check other options on the website under this gift project.

In donating to this project you will need to MAKE YOUR CHECK PAYABLE TO "KENNETHGENTRY.COM." Please include a note stating that you are giving toward the Revelation Commentary Project, then mail your check to:

KENNETHGENTRY.COM
REVELATION COMMENTARY PROJECT
P.O. BOX 1874
FOUNTAIN INN, SC 29644

I have placed on my website a convenient way you can give to the Revelation Commentary Project by using your credit card. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Go to: KennethGentry.Com

2. On the Home Page go to the upper left corner to the box labled: "Category."

3. Scroll down a line or two in the "Category" box until you see: "Revelation Commentary Project."

4. Click on "Revelation Commentary Project." You will enter a screen where you will be able to give to the Project at any one of four different contribution levels. Your gift will be processed as if it were an order. (Due to the way the payment module is set up, it will automatically add a $2.50 mailing fee! Please pardon that little additional cost.)

Remember: I MUST MAKE A DECISION SOON as to whether I can re-engage this research project. Otherwise my narrow window of opportunity will close. I have until OCTOBER 7 to raise the funds in order to make the decision. Your help is much needed and will be greatly appreciated. Won't you "put your hand to the plow" with me to make this Revelation Commentary dream a reality?

Also could you help me by sending this information to churches or acquaintances of yours who might be interested in helping? This is a sizeable project; the more help the better. Your assistance in this would also be much appreciated.

As an expression of my gratitude for your continuing encouragement and financial support:

"¢ Upon receiving a financial contribution in excess of $100 I WILL SEND YOU A IN-DEPTH STUDY OF REVELATION 1:7. This study goes further than any previous analysis in carefully demonstrating that John's theme verse must apply to the A.D. 70 judgment on the Temple rather than to the still future Second Coming of Christ. This understanding of Revelation 1:7 is vitally important to founding the preterist approach to Revelation.

"¢ I will acknowledge your generosity at the front of the commentary when it is published. I will have a special section that lists donors who helped underwrite it (unless, of course, you request that your name not be publicized).

"¢ I will send you a personal letter of thanks for your generosity and will keep you informed on my progress through regular e-mail updates.

"¢ I will also send you occasional exegetical tidbits from my research to enhance your understanding of Revelation and whet your appetite for the final commentary.

Once again thank you for your previous encouragement to my various Christian educational labors. I look forward to hearing from you and receiving your financial support for completing my Revelation Commentary Project. I hope you will please inform others of this window of opportunity.

In Christ's service, I am
Faithfully yours,

Ken Gentry
Author, Before Jerusalem Fell

P.S.

Please remember that TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Due to circumstances I have until October 7 to secure the underwriting for my Revelation Commentary Project. I need your financial help before I can engage the project.

Be assured: if my fund-raising efforts fall short of fully underwriting the project, your money will be returned. (Remember that your gifts will not be tax-deductible. I regret this, but KennethGentry.Com is not a 501-c-3 entity.)

[Edited on 9-1-2005 by InSixDays]

I wonder how Calvin managed to pastor a church and write all his commentaries at the same time.

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
I wonder how Calvin managed to pastor a church and write all his commentaries at the same time.

I don't think he ever did one on Revelation, did he?

Originally posted by houseparent
Originally posted by Rick Larson
Originally posted by tcalbrecht
I don't think he ever did one on Revelation, did he?
He certainly did not.

Calvin had great reverence and awe for God's Word. He never dared to comment on Revelation. But since all of Revelation is a commentary (already) on the OT prophecies, Calvin comments on Isaiah - which can be helpful.

Here is a mere tidbit of his understanding:

Calvin does not view Isaiah 2:1-4 as as being fulfilled in some earthly sense (pre or post-millennial) which is obvious from his interpretation of "the last of the days" of verse two. Calvin writes, "When he mentions the end or completion of days, let us remember that he is speaking of the kingdom of Christ" (p. 91).

Baker Book House (1989) William Pringle's translation of Calvin's Commentary on the Book of the Prophet Isaiah, 1850 edition

Any disciple devoted to the Truth would do well to consider Calvin's commentary on OT prophecy.

r.

Originally posted by Robin
A pastor asking for money to publish his works. How utterly inappropriate.

Robin

Robin,

As a former Dispensationalist who has profited much from Dr. Gentry's series on Dispensationalism, I would like very much to see his commentary on Revelation completed. Could you please defend what are saying Scripturally?

I think it would be very noble for the Reformed/Covanental coummnity to support Dr. Gentry in this worthy endeavor that would profit many, many in helping us continue to debunk Dispensationalism. Think about Tim LaHay and Jerry Jenkins. They have made million'$ pedaling a fictional account of Eschatolgy. Can't we band together as a "Gideons army" and support a brother who has the scholarly gifts to help advance our cause?

[Edited on 9-2-2005 by BrianBowman]

Originally posted by Paul manata
A pastor asking for money to publish his works. How utterly inappropriate.

Robin

this comment is inapropriate, but since Gentry's last name isn't Riddlebarger, then I guess it's okee dokee:um:;)

Hey there, guys ....

1. The burden of proof is on the pastor to demonstrate from Scripture that the Church (catholic, small c/universal) is to support his studies - that would bypass proper church government scrutiny. It is usual for a seminary (under the accountability of church gov.) to support such studies. If Gentry needs money, he should look to his local denom. and/or synod. Even doing that, I would question.

2. The URC pastors and teachers I know of, all pursue their book writing projects as totally separate. Never, have I heard of an appeal imposed on the congregations - or outside, for that matter -- for any of their writings. Btw, I've also never heard of a "need" - apparently, God saw to the needs.

3. Gentry's take on Revelation does not represent the historic, Protestant view of Scripture. He admits that. But that isn't the point.

Paul, my comment is what it is. I repeat: it is inappropriate for any pastor to appeal for private funding to those (at least) outside his congregation, and probably within -- especially when it involves material contrary to established doctrine, and out of reach of the scrutiny of the consistory.

It is one thing for scholars like Matt to own his own publishing business (which I think a good thing); it is quite another to presume that someone like Gentry represents the entire Protestant church, so as to claim that we're all beholden to him.

Actually, I'm glad to see his letter....there's a lot in the NT about teachers in error asking for money (Jude.) Hmmmm, but that's too uncomfortable to think about.

What IF Gentry's WRONG? How will his flock be protected? (We are all sinners - and the Bible gives a clear presbyterian-grid by which the sheep are to be protected FROM pastoral errors. Good pastors like this set-up, btw.)

Doesn't anybody read the Bible anymore?

:candle:

R.

Actually, I'm glad to see his letter....there's a lot in the NT about teachers in error asking for money (Jude.) Hmmmm, but that's too uncomfortable to think about.

What IF Gentry's WRONG? How will his flock be protected? (We are all sinners - and the Bible gives a clear presbyterian-grid by which the sheep are to be protected FROM pastoral errors. Good pastors like this set-up, btw.)

Doesn't anybody read the Bible anymore?

:candle:

R.
May I gently urge you to contact Dr. Gentry with your concerns if you feel this strongly about it? [email protected]
If nothing else, you could ask him his intentions for the letter, his reasons why he should be entitled to help etc. Speaking out in such a way about an ordained PCA elder should require a couple of witnesses etc. How's about a bit of charity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back