Gentry's website intro to his postmil "He Shall Have Dominion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

R Harris

Puritan Board Sophomore
Don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought some of you might find Gentry's write-up on his website for his paperback edition of "He Shall Have Dominion" interesting. As he states below, the latest revision now focuses more on Amil objections.

He Shall Have Dominion (Revised & Expanded 3d ed.)[HSHD-3]

Third edition: Revised and Expanded
618 pp.; Paperback

In Solomon's glorious Psalm we find a prophetic pledge that Christ "shall have dominion from sea to sea." And he promises this gracious worldwide victory of the Christian faith in time and on earth "while the sun and moon endure" (72:5) and despite the existence of those "enemies" (72:9) who would "afflict" and "oppress" (72:2, 4).

Under the gracious sway of his gospel, Christ will cause "the righteous to flourish" (72:7) and bring "peace to the people" (Psa. 72:5). Resulting from this righteousness and peace will come "abundance" and "flourishing" prosperity in all the earth (72:16). Ultimately, "all nations [will] call him blessed" (72:17) so that "the whole earth [will] be filled with his glory" (72:19).

Such is the postmillennial hope. Christ will return after millennial conditions prevail upon the earth (hence, post-millennialism), not before them (as in the popular pre-millennial system). The millennial blessings arise under the influence of the gospel, not because of Armageddon.

Though many evangelicals today are concerned about being Left Behind before the future collapses into absolute chaos, the postmillennialist is optimistic that He Shall Have Dominion throughout the earth. Rather than adopting "I'll Fly Away" as their anthem, postmillennialists prefer "Onward Christian Soldiers."

In this book you will find the whole biblical rationale for postmillennialism, from its incipient beginning in Genesis to its glorious conclusion in Revelation.

This is truly a new edition. In it I update a great many of the biblio-graphical references and add newer ones in order to make the work more current. Though I drop many of the older references, I do not drop them all in that I want to interact with some of the more important ones. I intend to offer the best of both worlds: analysis of classic works, as well as interaction with contemporary contributions. A secondary benefit of this practice is to let dispensationalists know that despite their "plain and simple" method of interpretation, their system keeps changing, thereby demonstrating things are not so "plain and simple."

I also give more attention to amillennialism than in previous editions, though I still deal more extensively with dispensationalism. In upgrading my amillennial critique I employ the more recent works by Robert B. Strimple, Vern Poythress, Dennis Johnson, Robert L. Reymond, Cornelis Venema, Kim Riddlebarger, and others. The amillennial presentation has changed over the years, moving from a more exegetical approach to a more theological one. I critique both approaches.

For the most part this edition adds new material, with each chapter undergoing significant expansions. I would especially note that I significantly lengthen the three chapters considering objections to postmillennialism, partly in order to handle more amillennial objections. I would also point out that I have re-titled the Appendix on hyper-preterism in that I greatly expand my critique in order to include exegetical as well as theological concerns regarding this aberrant movement. Though this heterodox movement continues to grow, signs are appearing that it may be coming apart at the seams. Their continual patching of new material on the old garment is making matters worse. I hope to loosen a few of its threads myself.

ANALYTICAL OUTLINE
PART ONE : INTRODUCTION

Chapter 1: The Significance of Biblical Eschatology
The Importance of Eschatology
The Meaning of "Eschatology"
The Priority of Scripture
The Philosophy of History
The Implications of Eschatology
Conclusion

Chapter 2: The Purpose of This Treatise
Postmillennial Information
Postmillennial Exposition
Postmillennial Vindication
Postmillennial Exhortation
Conclusion

Chapter 3: The Pessimistic Millennial Views
The General Millennial Idea
The Standard Millennial Positions
Conclusion

Chapter 4: The Postmillennial System
A Definition of Postmillennialism
The Confusion Regarding Postmillennialism
The Origins of Postmillennialism
Conclusion

PART TWO: EXPOSITION

Chapter 5: The Revelation of Truth
God's Word is Inerrant
God's Word is Powerful
Conclusion

Chapter 6: The Covenants of Redemption
Covenantal Scripture
Covenantal Obligation
Objective Blessedness
Conclusion

Chapter 7: The Hermeneutic of Scripture
Literalism and Prophecy
Preterism and Prophecy
Israel and Prophecy
Conclusion

PART THREE: EXPOSITION

Chapter 8: Eschatology and Creation
The Edenic Expectation of Victory
The Post-Fall Expectation of Victory
Conclusion

Chapter 9: Eschatology and Anticipation
Anticipation in the Patriarch and Mosaic Eras
Anticipation in the Messianic Psalms
Anticipation in the Prophets
Conclusion

Chapter 10: Eschatology and Realization
Inauguration of the Kingdom
Application of the Kingdom
Conclusion

Chapter 11: Eschatology and Expansion
Dominion Commanded
Dominion Assured
Extension Guaranteed
Cultivation Encouraged
Function Specified
Conclusion

Chapter 12: Eschatology and Consummation
The Second Advent
The Resurrection
The Final Judgment
The Eternal State
Conclusion

PART FOUR: SPECIFICATION

Chapter 13: Eschatological Time Frames
The Seventy Weeks
The Dispensational Interpretation
The "Last Days"
This Age / The Age to Come
The "Imminent" Return
The Millennium
Conclusion

Chapter 14: Eschatological Features
The Day of the Lord
The Great Tribulation
The Temple's Rebuilding
The New Creation
Conclusion

Comments Regarding Previous Versions

"I am gratefully indebted to the exegesis of Kenneth Gentry, Jr."
Keith L. Mathison, Postmillennialism

"A thorough presentation of this position."
Cornelis Venema, The Promise of the Future

"One of today's leading advocates of a preterist interpretation. "
Francis X. Gumerlock, The Early Church

"Gentry has offered the most exegetically impressive case that anyone has made so far."
Gary North

"Everything a postmillennial catechumen needs. Masterfully brings all the various aspects of the debate into focus."
Credenda/Agenda

"THE BOOK to give to one not convinced. Exegetically based, ethically balanced."
The Christian Standard

"Highly recommended."
Contra Mundum

"Gentry is probably today's leading advocate of postmillennialism."
Sola Scriptura

"The most biblical, insightful, common-sense eschatological treatise in print."
Apocalipsis.Org

"This is the best work on postmillennialism that has ever been written."
Reformed Covenanter

Hmmmm . . . I couldn't even get a rise out of the amils on this? Or has Dr. Gentry caused the amils to raise the white flag?

Frankly, I would love to see Gentry and Riddlebarger battle it out in debate.

Hmmmm . . . I couldn't even get a rise out of the amils on this? Or has Dr. Gentry caused the amils to raise the white flag?

Or a cage fight. Either would be interesting.
:p

:think:They would be gentlemen if they debated.

I have that book and will write about it after I read it. I am deciding between those two views, leaning to one of them. Right now, I have other deadlines.

Meanwhile, check my "Millennial Dreaming" :sing: on my PB blog or on the blog below.

Cordially,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back