Genuine Christian Actors/Actresses

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Humor' started by Reformingstudent, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

:rolleyes: Give me a break. :lol:

2. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Not many Ivan Schoens either. I was looking rounding the net for information for my family names and I found one more Ivan Schoen in Florida. He's 76 years old.

Probably a nice chap. :rolleyes:

3. Theoretical

Theoretical Puritan Board Professor

Seconded!

(From a future lawyer too)

4. Stephen

Stephen Puritan Board Junior

Willie Ames, Kirk Cameron, and Clifton Davis (a minister in California) are solid believers. Mel Gibson, a Roman Catholic, who is very active in the Tridetine Rite, and prone to outbursts and drunkeness, Della Reese, a minister in a new age cult in California, and Martha Williamson, a new ager are not Christians.

5. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

Was he not a Puritan? :pilgrim:

6. Stephen

Yes, would any of you allow your daughter to pose for a magazine, and then tell the world you are "born again?" I don't think so.

7. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

:lol:

8. Stephen

The idea that Bono from U2 is a believer has been circulated for years. I like his music but until I see a real change in his life, I will not be convinced he is a believer. He was raised a Papist and knows about holiness as much as the average pagan. He is a strong humanitarian but this does not make one a Christian.

9. Stephen

What does that mean? Is he an active member of a church? I know people that profess to be evangelical and are as pagan as they come. I have heard the obscenities like four letter words, that I will not repeat, come from his lips. I am not convinced.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  10. Stephen

:rofl::rofl:

11. Stephen

Yes, he was. :rofl:

12. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

13. KenPierce

KenPierce Puritan Board Freshman

Pretty dubious list:

Donny and Marie are Mormons after all.
    And Gary Busey is crazy. I think he has a church in his living room.
    Given Justine Bateman's guest role on ARrested Development, I doubt she has a credible profession.

14. BertMulder

BertMulder Puritan Board Junior

Margaret, is any of these the pamphlet in question?

Lol, we are open about our beliefs in that respect, seeing they are freely available on the interweb.

The Evil of Drama
    THE CHRISTIAN AND THE FILM ARTS
    The Christian and Entertainment -- by Rev. Dale Kuiper

15. Galatians220

Galatians220 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Yep: "The Evil of Drama" is it... A good pamphlet with much for us to think about as to who we are in Jesus Christ and how we are to spend our waking hours (if we are regenerate, we are to spend all of them to His glory)... And I fail constantly. TCM runs something like "A Night at the Opera" or any other Marx brothers. movie or "early Woody Allen" like "Take the Money and Run" or "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" or any other comedy and -- I'm there in front of it... :eek:

The denomination at issue was "not interested in the Detroit area" when I was fervently looking to bring some Reformed congregation here. The FCoS(Cont.) was. 'Nuff said about the former.

Also: "Bono as Born-Again Christian..." No, I thought that was actually "Bono as Subject of Urban (Christian) Legend." :) :think: And then I found this: WORLD Magazine | Today's News, Christian Views. (Addendum: you can find this article in its entirety by Googling "Is Bono a Christian?" The link here only takes you to a synopsis of the article. "World Mag:" BOO!)

Stephen Charnock's admonition that "it is a grave sin to presume to judge the state of another man's soul," whether saved or lost, still holds for me.

As to all of these people: I just don't know. We won't know until we "get there" ourselves.

Margaret

16. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

AMEN!! Well said, sister Margaret!

17. reformedman

reformedman Puritan Board Freshman

although deceased:
    cecil b. demill?

18. Galatians220

19. ColdSilverMoon

ColdSilverMoon Puritan Board Senior

Stephen, if you look at his quotes I posted above it's hard to argue he has a pretty genuine faith. As for a "real change in his life," I'm not sure what you mean other than his language, which is admittedly pretty salty. I tend to be as skeptical as anyone about "celebrity Christians," but I'm pretty convinced Bono is a true believer. He may need to mature in some areas, but don't we all?

20. calgal

calgal Puritan Board Graduate

Chuck Norris would not appreciate that..... :eek:

# When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
    # Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

# Chuck Norris does not get frostbite. Chuck Norris bites frost

:lol::lol:

21. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

Yeah, there's nothing I've ever seen from Bono that would lead me to question the credibility of his confession. I rather appreciate the unwaivering witness he's given a reporter or two about the exclusivity of Christ as the only Savior of mankind. Due to him being... him, the reporters seem to humble themselves rather than cross ways with Bono, the humanitarian that puts humanitarians to shame. *shrug*

As to Chuck Norris, I didn't look him up, because I don't question really whether he is a believer or not. So far as I know, he is.

22. caddy

caddy Puritan Board Senior

Chuck jokes are a Riot!

23. Kevin

Kevin Puritan Board Doctor

Not sure that I understand your comment? Did you mean to imply that staying home with your daughter or getting a massage shows a lack "fruit of the Spirit"?:scratch:

24. Galatians220

Gail,

My son sent me this site a couple of weeks ago; you might be interested in it. I was ROFLOL when I first saw it: Chuck Norris Facts

Margaret

25. Galatians220

No, no -- to me, "luxury" recently was spending the day before Mother's Day at the Toledo Zoo, just my son and I... No, that's not what I meant. Our children are our good gifts from the Lord, and massages, too, are good (I'm somewhat younger than Olivia Newton-John, but close enough that yeah, there's some arthritis, and massages feel pretty good, especially when done by a good physical therapist)...

No, I guess "luxury," real luxury -- might consist in some mention of the benefits of knowing the Lord, but maybe (probably) I'm being too judgmental and legalistic - again. The Patrick McDermott episode in ONJ's life is a little questionable.

I do like her videos still. Here's one of my favorites, a duet with the great Anthony Warlow (seems totally unknown in this country, but he's a musical star in Australia - for obvious good reason):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0i0G6qTz8]YouTube - Anthony and Olivia[/ame]

One reason this is so special to me is that both of these two stars also are cancer survivors...

Once again, I don't know anything about Olivia Newton-John's eternal destiny, or her current spiritual state. And I admit to presumption in judging whether that one pat answer of hers was evidence of "fruit of the Spirit."

Margaret

26. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

Apparently Michael Clark Duncan of Green Mile fame professes to be a Christian.

27. Clay7926

Clay7926 Puritan Board Sophomore

Current WWE wrestlers Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels are also reported to be believers. I read Michael's testimony a few years back, and it's pretty amazing (it began with him reading a Bible his wife bought him for Christmas a few years ago, and he states that as he read, he was convinced that the Bible is truly God's word).

Not quite on the level of hollywood superstar, but I figured that it's worth mentioning.

28. Ex Nihilo

Ex Nihilo Puritan Board Senior

Russell Crowe makes some ambiguous claims to faith...

FOXNews.com - Russell Crowe Plans to be Baptized in Chapel of His Australian Ranch - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Not sure what's going on there -- there doesn't seem to be any reference to Christ, but maybe there is more to it than Crowe explains. The whole story is pretty interesting... Crowe is certainly correct that it doesn't make much sense to baptize his children without being baptized himself... But baptism without reference to Christ makes even less sense.

29. staythecourse

staythecourse Puritan Board Junior

I try not to be a stick in the mud but that is one lame testimony. I admit I am a doubting Thomas sometimes but "not until I see the" words "I have sinned and know Jesus alone can save" or something that looks like genuine realization of his state of being a dead man walking and Christ the giver of life.

I promise to ask for forgiveness if this is legit.

What is strange is that he's an Aussie and Pastor Winzer can probably verify that Australia (his neck of the woods anyway) is not known for religious activity among the people there, esp Christianity. Why would a Hollywood man and (an Australian one at that) bother with baptism? I bet his wife has something to do with it (hunch).

30. Ex Nihilo

Ex Nihilo Puritan Board Senior

Could be. Like you, I am by no means convinced that he believes in Christ (since he doesn't mention Christ), but it's odd to me that an unbeliever would have the impulse to baptize his children. You may be right that it's his wife's influence, but if that's the case, I wonder why he would discuss it with the media like this. It does sound like he disagrees with his own parents' approach of letting the children decide for themselves about God when they are old enough.

I also wonder who baptized the children -- clearly not a minister from a church that would demand the parents' profession of faith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.