Genuine Christian Actors/Actresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
Was just wondering if there are any real Christians in the movie/TV industry. And I'm not talking about the Gary Busey types who pop up on TBN and talk about their great faith in Jesus one day and go on a psychotic rant the next. How many genuine believers in Christ are working in front of the cameras and are really trying to live for Him I wonder.

Last edited:
Here are some to consider:

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

I think you can strike Robert Duvall from that list. I love the guy as an actor, but he has said before "he does his own thing" as far as religion goes, and that was a recent interview. Patricia Heaton of Everybody Loves Raymond (a show I never watched) also claims to be a Christian. Though he's deceased, Charleton Heston could be on the list as well...

I saw Stephen Baldwin on The Apprentice and I was not impressed with him. I know he claims to be "born again" but I did not see much difference between him and some of the others on the show. There is a fairly new actor who is a young man that has appeared in a few movies that is a member of a PCA congregation in North Carolina. There was an article about him in By Faith magazine a couple years ago, but I cannot recall his name. Are you sure that Miley Cyrus is a believer? What an amazing change we would see in the entertainment industry, if more Christians took the creation mandate serious.

I, too, read that Steve McQueen had been converted in the last few months of his life. He'd been leaning that way for quite some time.

He started going to the same mega church in Ventura that my family went to when I was a teenager. Missionary Church Alliance, solid Evangelical type. He introduced his daugher to one of my friends there and they started dating. His conversion was considered legit by everyone.

I find it would be extremely difficult to be an actor in Hollywood and to be open with one's faith. From a professionally perspective the auditions that a Christian can apply for are quite slim. Up and coming actors aren't in the position to chose what roles they can take. Most of them will take anything that pays something. Secondly, once you get the part how will it affect the family? Does the role require kissing another person? Does the part require the Lord's name to be used in vain? Are they required to work on the Lord's Day? There are so many issues that it seems very difficult to be a devoted Christian and an actor who's committed to their craft. There's going to be a compromise somewhere.

The life of an actor is not all the glitz and fame the media promotes. It’s actually the worst profession in the entertainment industry. Aspiring actors are considered slime in the industry. Their treated like dirt and their asked to perform like dirt. It’s absolutely degrading beyond belief. People move to Hollywood waste 10-15 years of their lives waiting to be discovered only to find that age has caught up with them. They destroy their souls, waste money on worthless acting lessons, and jump from one workshop to the other, all with hopes of being discovered.

I find it would be extremely difficult to be an actor in Hollywood and to be open with one's faith. From a professionally perspective the auditions that a Christian can apply for are quite slim. Up and coming actors aren't in the position to chose what roles they can take. Most of them will take anything that pays something. Secondly, once you get the part how will it affect the family? Does the role require kissing another person? Does the part require the Lord's name to be used in vain? Are they required to work on the Lord's Day? There are so many issues that it seems very difficult to be a devoted Christian and an actor who's committed to their craft. There's going to be a compromise somewhere.

The life of an actor is not all the glitz and fame the media promotes. It’s actually the worst profession in the entertainment industry. Aspiring actors are considered slime in the industry. Their treated like dirt and their asked to perform like dirt. It’s absolutely degrading beyond belief. People move to Hollywood waste 10-15 years of their lives waiting to be discovered only to find that age has caught up with them. They destroy their souls, waste money on worthless acting lessons, and jump from one workshop to the other, all with hopes of being discovered.

Yes, it would be difficult to be a Christian actor, but difficulties are for overcoming; we are to rule and subdue, not let the world walk all over us.

The truth is, that it is always difficult to be a Christian in any situation. But that is not an excuse for not perservering.

Yes, it would be difficult to be a Christian actor, but difficulties are for overcoming; we are to rule and subdue, not let the world walk all over us.

The truth is, that it is always difficult to be a Christian in any situation. But that is not an excuse for not perservering.

:amen: This is why dispensationalism has been so popular in the church, because we just live our Christian lives and wait for the rapture. We are starting to see a change with more of an emphasis on the creation mandate that was taught by the late Dr. James Kennedy and by men like Ken Gentry, Gary Demar, and George Grant. Francis Schaeffer was teaching this long ago.

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

Paul Walker is Mormon

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers
Paul Walker is a Mormon.

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

Paul Walker is Mormon

Now where have I heard that one before? :scratch:

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers
Paul Walker is a Mormon.

Kirk Cameron
Robert Duvall
Olivia Newton-John
Gavin McLeod
John Schneider
Paul Walker
Stephen Baldwin
Andy Griffith
Steve McQueen
Lisa Whelchel
Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers

Paul Walker is Mormon

Now where have I heard that one before? :scratch:

LOL

Sorry...I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread before I post :um:

Olivia Newton-John?

For real????

Here's a recent quote from her fan site:
Quotes

"To me luxury is to be at home with my daughter, and the occasional massage doesn't hurt." -Olivia Newton-John.

The "Patrick McDermott gone missing" episode remains a bit tawdry...

"Fruit of the spirit?" Hopefully, in the bud, but -- not overly obvious right now.

Margaret

It's said Mandy Moore is, and Willie Ames of (Eight is Enough--and of course Bibleman)

Now, I wouldn't call some of these "Christians" but here is a list that I found..

Famous Christians in Sports, Entertainment, More

Actors
Willie Aames - former actor ("Eight is Enough") turned "Bibleman"
Corbin Allred - actor, "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"; "Teen Angel"
Billy Barty - actor, famed "Little People" activist, "Willow"
Justine Bateman - actress
Gary Burghoff - actor ("Radar O'Reilly" on M.A.S.H.)
Gary Busey - actor
Kirk Cameron - actor, "Growing Pains"
Carl Clarfalio - actor ("The Thing" in Corman's FF film)
Lacey Chabert - Actress from "Party of Five"
Anna Chlumsky - Actress
Deezer D - Actor on "E.R.", Christian rapper
Anne B. Davis - "Alice" on the Brady Bunch
Clifton Davis - movie star
Hazel Dawn - movie star
Laraine Day - movie star
Mark Deakins - actor ("Star Trek: Insurrection", Axum on "Star Trek: Voyager")
Donna Douglas - actress ("Ellie May Clampett" on "Beverly Hillbillies")
Roma Downey - actress on "Touched by an Angel"
Robert Duvall - actor
Aaron Eckhart - movie star ("The Pledge", "Erin Brockovich", "Possession", etc.)
Dale Evans (1912-2001) - actress
Kim Fields - actor, "Facts of Life"
Rhonda Fleming - movie star
Mel Gibson - movie star
Ryan Gosling - actor ("The Believer", Hercules on "Young Hercules")
Andy Griffith - actor, "Andy Griffith Show"
Charlton Heston - actor, "The Ten Commandments"
Tom Hanks - movie star
Dean Jagger - movie star (Academy Award for "Twelve O'Clock High", etc.)
Dean Jones - movie star
Danny Kamekona - actor (popular Hawaiian actor; "Hawaii 5-O"; Miyagi's rival "Sato" in "Karate Kid II")
Richard Kiel - actor; Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me; Moonraker
Carol Lawrence - singer/dancer/actress, once married to Robert Goulet
Olivia Newton-John - popular Australian-born singer, actress
Bruce Marchiano - actor, Jesus in The Gospel According to Matthew
Gavin McLeod - actor, Captain Stubing on The Love Boat
Terry Moore - Academy Award-nominated actress (Come Back, Little Sheba, etc.)
Tia and Tamer Mowry - Actresses on Sister Sister
Robert Newman - actor
Chuck Norris - actor, "Walker Texas Ranger"
Austen O'Brian - actor on Promised Land
Merlin Olsen - football player, actor (Little House on the Prairie; Aaron's Way)
Jennifer O'Neill - actor
Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond - popular singers, TV show hosts
Kelly Packard - Wonder Years; Blossom; Step By Step; Baywatch; Boy Meets World
Austin Peck - Soap Opera actor
Pat Priest - actress ("Marilyn Munster" on The Munsters TV show; Easy Come, Easy Go w/Elvis Presley)
Della Reese - actress, "Touched by an Angel"
Judge Reinhold - actor
Fred Rogers - "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood"
Roy Rogers (1911-1998) - TV star
Mickey Rooney - actor
Jane Russell - movie star
John Schneider - actor, "The Dukes of Hazzard", founder, FaithWorks!
Connie Seleca - actress
Nancy Stafford - actress, Matlock; MacGyver
David Suchet - actor ("Hercule Poirot" on the PBS series Mystery)
Mr T. - Actor
Russ Tamblyn - actor (Peyton Place, West Side Story, etc.)
Ben Vereen - Actor
Paul Walker - movie star (Varsity Blues, Meet the Deedles, The Fast and the Furious, etc.)
Robert Walker - actor (Strangers on a Train, etc.)
Lisa Whelchel - actress, The Facts of Life
Johnny Whitaker - actor, Family Affair
Demond Wilson - actor, Lamont Sanford
Marie Windsor - movie star
Elijah Wood - actor
Heather Young - TV star, Land of Giants
Loretta Young - movie star (Best Actress Academy Award for The Farmer's Daughter)

TV/Movie Producers and Directors
Martha Williamson - executive producer "Touched by an Angel"
John Woo - director, "Mission Impossible II", "Broken Arrow"
Don Bluth - animation director/producer (Land Before Time; Titan A.E.; The Secret of NIMH; etc.)
Richard Dutcher - director/screenwriter/actor (Girl Crazy; God's Army)
Kieth Merrill (Academy award-winning IMAX director; "The Great American Cowboy; "Amazon", etc.)
Jerry Molen - movie producer (Schindler's List; Jurassic Park, Twister; Hook; Rain Man; etc.)
Richard Rich - animation director (The King and I; The Black Cauldron)
Ken Wales - producer, "Christy"
Michael Warren - producer, "Family Matters"

Olivia Newton-John?

For real????

Here's a recent quote from her fan site:
Quotes

"To me luxury is to be at home with my daughter, and the occasional massage doesn't hurt." -Olivia Newton-John.

The "Patrick McDermott gone missing" episode remains a bit tawdry...

"Fruit of the spirit?" Hopefully, in the bud, but -- not overly obvious right now.

Margaret

That's what I was thinking, Margaret.

In fact, the majority on the list provided makes me wonder: why is it so important that these Hollywood-types are Christian? I praise God if they are, but I'm more concerned with my own sancification and the members of my church than what goes on in Hollywood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back