Genuine Christian Actors/Actresses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve McQueen

Didn't know that. :eek:

That's news to me as well.

Glad to hear Miley Cyrus is a believer in Christ. Know she's been going through a rough time of it lately. May God keep her safe in the industry she works in.

I read recently in National Review in their "The Week" section that Miley Cyrus just posed for Vanity Fair Magazine wearing nothing but a bedsheet. She's 15 and her father was with her and gave his consent to the photo shoot. This is wrong on so many levels I can't even start the list...

Daniel:banghead:

Jane Fonda claimed to become a believer in 1998 and apparently still makes that claim. Does anyone know about this? Apparently she is a member of a church in Atlanta, GA and it was one of the factors that caused her split with Ted Turner.

No, only the ones I looked up.

I looked up Paul Washer, Kelly Packard, Mr. Barty, and a couple of others- all LDS.

Jane Fonda claimed to become a believer in 1998 and apparently still makes that claim. Does anyone know about this? Apparently she is a member of a church in Atlanta, GA and it was one of the factors that caused her split with Ted Turner.

Found this: How I Was Saved -- Beliefnet interviews Jane Fonda about her faith -- Beliefnet.com

Thanks, that clarified things for me. Looks like she is one of those goddess Sophia types that I encountered in the PCUSA. That is not Christianity but a pagan goddess worship that pretends to be christian.

Two you may not think of: Bono and Bettie Page.

Bono might not be that surprising, other than the fact that it's hard to imagine the lead singer of one of the top 5 all-time great rock bands being a believer. But he does make a clear profession of faith, and in a recent interview basically said you had to believe Christ or reject Him, and that there was no middle ground (he claims to believe in Him). When you think about it, about the worst thing U2 does is use profanity in some of their concerts. Their lyrics are relatively "clean" otherwise. So, I would tend to accept his profession of faith as legitimate.

As for Bettie Page, she was one of the first and still "greatest" nude pin-up models of the 1950's. She had a somewhat strange conversion experience in her 40's, and became reclusive afterwards, but is said to have maintained her faith, despite some serious mental problems. I'm not sure of the exact nature of her belief, but from what I've heard it was a real repentance and faith.

Yes... She caused quite a flap in Hollywood when she went to one of those feminist luncheons and the "mistress of ceremonies" started to pray to "Mother Earth" or someone. I read that at that point, Jane Fonda stood up and yelled, "You all need to be praying to Jesus Christ instead!" whereupon she stomped out of the event. She claimed that her Christian faith broke up her marriage to Ted Turner, but she also still claims to be a diehard pro-choicer. Her continued support of NARAL and Planned Parenthood gives proof positive of that. I don't know what she is, really.

There is another point to consider: there are some Reformed people who consider all drama and those who practice it in violation of the 2nd Commandment. Their arguments are that God did not create us to play roles as other people; He created us to live every moment as His precious, unique creations and we are to work for His glory and honor as ourselves. They also say that we are not to make "graven images," which they say movies are; when an actor plays the part of a murderer or an adulterer, he is putting aside his real identity for a moment and becoming that "other character" in order to provide titillating entertainment for others. Also, when, for example, a married-in-real-life actor or actress plays a love scene with someone not his/her spouse, that is really, really wrong. They also say that it's wrong for us to watch people doing such things in movies or plays.

I have a tract from a denomination that believes that; I'd heard that it was out there and requested the tract by phone. They required me, before they sent it, to prove my membership in a Reformed denomination prior to letting me have it. I provided them with such proof (my name on a roster of a congregation that they recognized) and they then decided that I was not a writer who would use the tract to humiliate or otherwise embarrass them, so they sent it. Now I can't find the tract, but it's here in this house somewhere. "The Evil of Drama," it was entitled, or something like that.

So is "Christian actor" or "actress" or "director" a contradiction in terms? I don't know, but that tract was pretty persuasive. I know that there are certain movies that I won't watch ever again, and I'm a lifelong movie aficionado. And some are considered to be the great movies... Married-in-real-life Jimmy Stewart doing a love scene with Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" (BTW, some say that he was a Christian) - okay, I watch that, but -- I feel kind of guilty doing it. "North by Northwest" - how many sins are on display in that? :eek: Even Martin Landau admitted that he changed his small role in that movie ever so slightly so as to play the character as a homosexual because he thought it would "enhance" the part and make him and the film more marketable. I've watched "NBN" probably 30 times... :um: Cary Grant at his prime, after all... :) But I'm married... Shouldn't be admiring other men, even if they're no longer with us...

If anyone wants the name of the denomination that publishes that tract & would like to see if it's still in print, just send me a PM... I will abide by their wishes not to go really public with their stance on "what's wrong" with play-acting.

Margaret

Last edited:
Bono on Christ:

"But I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says: Look, you cretins, there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness, and there's a mortality as part of your very sinful nature, and, let's face it, you're not living a very good life, are you? There are consequences to actions. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled… . It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of heaven."

Bono's theology may not be 100% correct, but it's hard to find fault with the above statement. Also consider the below quote on the nature of Christ:

"Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: he was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says: No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: "I'm the Messiah." I'm saying: "I am God incarnate." And people say: No, no, please, just be a prophet. A prophet, we can take. You're a bit eccentric. We've had John the Baptist eating locusts and wild honey, we can handle that. But don't mention the "M" word! Because, you know, we're gonna have to crucify you. And he goes: No, no. I know you're expecting me to come back with an army, and set you free from these creeps, but actually I am the Messiah. At this point, everyone starts staring at their shoes, and says: Oh, my God, he's gonna keep saying this. So what you're left with is: either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. I mean, we're talking nutcase on the level of Charles Manson. This man was like some of the people we've been talking about earlier. This man was strapping himself to a bomb, and had "King of the Jews" on his head, and, as they were putting him up on the Cross, was going: OK, martyrdom, here we go. Bring on the pain! I can take it. I'm not joking here. The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me, that's farfetched …"

Again, based on these statements it's hard to deny he has the basics right...

My understanding of Bono is that he was raised Church of Ireland (Anglican) and that he and his wife (not that it means much) were indeed married in a Church of Ireland ceremony. I also have read that he is raising his children in that church as well. Bono himself seems uncomfortable with the church as a whole and does seem to "play the lone Christian" as it were.

That said, interviews I've read and seen with Paul Hewson (Bono's real name) seem to suggest that his faith in Christ is genuine.

BTW, the OP could contain Alice Cooper in the list as he has been in films as well.

Is Bob Ross a Christian????:gpl:
bob_ross_danger.jpg

Erin Moran from "Happy Days" says she became a "born again Christian" after she left the show.

InevitablyReformed;

I read recently in National Review in their "The Week" section that Miley Cyrus just posed for Vanity Fair Magazine wearing nothing but a bedsheet. She's 15 and her father was with her and gave his consent to the photo shoot. This is wrong on so many levels I can't even start the list...

I've seen the photo's and I agree they were wrong on so many levels..

There were a couple of the pictures of her and her dad where they looked more like lovers than father/daughter, they were very inappropriate.

Someone mentioned Mandy Moore which i can confirm is unfortunately anything but true.

Some powerful Christians in the industry are director/screenwriter Randall Wallace, best known for penning "Braveheart" and writing and directing "We Were Soldiers" and "The Man in the Iron Mask"; his current projects include writing screen adaptations of "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Screwtape Letters"

Mega-producer Ralph Winter helmed the X-Men series and has thrown his weight behind "The Screwtape Letters" as well.

Fellow Baylor University alumni and screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas command seven figure salaries for their work after penning the recent remake of "3:10 to Yuma".

Devilishly handsome Travis Speegle is a rogue maverick who cunningly thumps his bible on the backlots of most major Hollywood studios; he spends his spare time beating off the ladies with that same Bible, but they keep on a' comin'.

Travis,

You sound like a man who needs high priced legal representation from a young lawyer in 2 years...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back