George Smeaton on Christ’s eternal sonship and our sonship by grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The seed of the Messiah stand in his relation to the Father, sons by Grace because he is the Son by Nature. His children. The full meaning, we take it, is, they are children in him; for the expressions his children and his brethren are interchangeably used — “He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.” Heb. ii. 11-13. He raises all whom the Father hath given him as near himself as possible, to the rank of sons in the family of God, with a title to the heavenly glory.

The foundation of our being children is, that Christ is God’s only-begotten Son in a sense peculiarly his own before the world was; and we find the order of the Covenant, when he said — “I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and to my God and your God,” not to our Father, for there is no such equality, but to my Father by nature, and yours by being found in me. This relationship is Christ’s of right, it is ours of grace through him — an undeserved boon; and God becomes our Father only because he is the Father of one so near and dear to us. ...

For more, see George Smeaton on Christ’s eternal sonship and our sonship by grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back