Gergorian Chant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueenEsther

Puritan Board Sophomore
I've been listening to a couple chant cds (these) that I got, a few years ago, to listen to while I did massage. Anyway, I was wondering, what exactly am I listening to? Is it good? It certainly sounds cool. Does anyone else like it?

I've been listening to a couple chant cds (these) that I got, a few years ago, to listen to while I did massage. Anyway, I was wondering, what exactly am I listening to? Is it good? It certainly sounds cool. Does anyone else like it?

I think it depends on how you view it. Personally, I love listening to Gregorian chants. The local Episcopalian church has a service of them weekly and I like to go just to listen because I think the music itself is beautiful. From a lyrical standpoint it can go either way. The chants will often be in Latin and you won't be able to understand what they're singing anyway, but when they're in English you'll be able to tell that they're often either Psalms or prayers of some sort. The one downside is that you'll get something about Mary every now and then. Also, the tradition of chants was developed during a time when the congregation didn't take part in singing, which I don't like either. So I usually just try to keep things in perspective. I listen to them because it's pleasing to the ear, not for religious reasons, although there may be spiritual benefit if I listen to a Psalm chanted in English or a particularly aesthetic prayer.

Gregorian chant is truly beautiful music - you do have to watch out for the way its packaged in new-agey ways these days... but I'll confess to having a few CD's of chant around the house.

Apart from the new-agey salesmanship on such stuff, they've also unfortunately gotten a leg into the church somehow (yes, I am sure I know why) by pitching it as "Christian spiritual meditation music"... and many have bought it for that kind of purpose - a very Eastern "empty your mind and your soul", which, of course, is completely verboten for Christians to pursue.

awww - wish we could embed audio/video....

[video=youtube;K7-47gzlNR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7-47gzlNR0[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back