Gervase Babington on the imperfect obedience of the Hebrew midwives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
... Secondly, in the Midwives we may see the weakness of our natures, for they should not have lied for any fear: and therefore though a good deed be done, yet it is ill defended. We may not lie, saith the scripture, to justify God, much less for any other cause. This weakness then in these good women was like a spot in a fair face: ... To preserve alive the children, was a work of mercy, but to lie for the safety of their lives, was a work of infirmity, which yet God pardoned by grace, and none, saving unthankful and crooked persons, will ever propose it to themselves to be imitated. …

I will cast my heart upon another thing, me think, here most comfortable, namely, how God rejected not the good that was in these women for the imperfection that was mingled with it, but pardoning what was weak, graciously rewardeth what was well. Fear not you then though all be not in you as you wish, but pray as you can, read as you can, hear as you can, and all other Christian duties do them as you can, according to that measure of grace which you have received: and, if any infirmity thrust it self in, and trouble you, when you are most desirous to be free from it, fear not: the Lord sheweth in these women what his nature is. He knoweth our mould whereof we be made, and he turneth away his face from beholding our frailties, casting a gracious countenance upon our good. Frailty is ours, our welldoing is his: and his own grace he will reward. You are not greater than the Apostle was who yet groaned (you know) under this burden, that he could not doe the good which he would, but still slipt into the evil which he would not. ...

For more, see Gervase Babington on the imperfect obedience of the Hebrew midwives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back