Getting people to engage at a Bible study?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThirdandReformedAdam

Puritan Board Freshman
I lead a Bible study every Tuesday night (attended mostly by lay members), and many times the study primarily consists of me talking about a particular text for 30-40 minutes before we end the lesson. However, I have found that when those attending the lessons are provoked to ask specific questions about the text we are examining (or something relating thereunto), they retain the information communicated by the lesson much more than when they merely listen to me talk (regardless of how much they say they "enjoy simply listening"). It seems that lessons where those in attendance ask questions are much more effective, because the questioner forms a sort of personal connection with the information, so that it is no longer abstract but intimate.

In short, does anyone have any advice on promoting discussion and provoking thoughtful questions during a study? Anything that you know to work?

Back when I was a Young Life leader I had the students on a Bible reading plan and told them to come with questions and I would come with my own as well. I hope this makes sense and helps.

If you bring up a subject that they are likely to oppose you will have discussion. I'm not saying to go in there to throw out heretical arguments just for the sake of discussion, I'm saying make a point to bring up things like God's election, His absolute sovereignty, or the sending of a lying spirit in 1st King 22:22. You get the idea. There's plenty that most in the church would enter into discussion on because it's not normally covered from the pulpit in many churches. (I don't know what your group is like, they may have no problem with the above.) Please don't take that as an encouragement to go to Bible study as a frenzied Calvinist, there are many things in Scripture that are convicting. Bring up the texts that make you reach for a commentary or two before you accept what you just read.

The goal is not to create enemies, or to argue for the sake of arguing. The goal is to bring up something that makes them think, not just nod in agreement. I'm sure you have felt the same way when you hear something during a sermon that is off, or that is right but you've never thought through it. You move from sitting there coasting until noon to flipping through the pages of your Bible like a Berean.

...because the questioner forms a sort of personal connection with the information, so that it is no longer abstract but intimate.

This is it, bring up some kind of application in their lives, especially if it goes against the idols of our own culture. Be able to back it up from the Bible. We do not need more traditions we need obedience to what God wrote.

Most of all remember to do these things in love. You are there to edify one another, not to bite and devour.

When I lead studies, I like to have different people read scripture references besides me. Often, once people get reading, their voices and confidence get warmed up. Also, when you ask a question, don't be afraid of the silence. Silence is awkward. Someone will talk after five or six seconds. If not, go for the old "don't everybody answer at once" trick (then wait some more). Normally when people get started, all you will have to do is guide the conversation.

Also, use varying question types. Bloom's taxonomy is a good point of reference. The link below deals with different level questions.

http://www.mandela.ac.za/cyberhunts/bloom.htm

Just be careful that a Bible study doesn't become "what does the scripture mean to you?" Existential Bible studies are not good.

Last edited:
Come with good questions yourself to ask them which will stimulate their recall of info and engage their minds in reasoning

Come with good questions yourself to ask them which will stimulate their recall of info and engage their minds in reasoning

I agree. If they have questions for you- you could come up with questions for them as well. Or maybe you could read a specific section of the Bible and ask them what they took from it?

In short, does anyone have any advice on promoting discussion and provoking thoughtful questions during a study? Anything that you know to work?

I find that I have to ask most of the questions myself. It is my teaching technique. We are going through Luke a little bit at a time, and I start asking questions from the very beginning. Sometimes even before I teach anything. I have attached a short PDF paper my pastor gave me on the art of asking questions that you might find helpful. It's a bit touchy-feely but not bad otherwise.

And I agree with Tim's post above. Therefore, you can't allow shared ignorance to prevail.

Attachments

• Quest for Answers 2.0.pdf
    70.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
People usually start out distracted, so I usually plan out my questions to start from the journalism questions that are easily answerable in the text itself (though even here I often have to prompt them on which verse has the answer), to graduate from there to deeper questions that get at the meaning of the text as a whole, and also questions about how the context affects our understanding of the text.

Place the text of the following verses on individual index cards:
Jer. 17:9
Mark 7:21-23
Eph. 2:2
Eph. 2:4-5
Titus 3:5
John 3:19
Rom. 3:10-12
Rom. 5:6
Eph. 2:1
Eph. 2:3
1 Cor. 2:14
Rom. 6:16-20

Give one to each participant and have them read it aloud and comment.
When all have been read and summarized individually, ask some in the group to summarize what all the verses are teaching.

Similar to the method above, try these out and see how the group determines the overall meanings therein:
- John 6:37; John 6:39; John 10:29; John 17:11-12; John 17:9; John 17:22; John 18:9
or
- Jn 8:2, Jn 10:8, Jn 13:35, Jn 18:20, Jn 3:26, Jn 4:29,Jn 4:45

I find that having folks deal with the full counsel of Scripture via the method above gets them to thinking more carefully about matters that they often took for granted by relying upon a single verse of Scripture.

Place the text of the following verses on individual index cards:
Jer. 17:9
Mark 7:21-23
Eph. 2:2
Eph. 2:4-5
Titus 3:5
John 3:19
Rom. 3:10-12
Rom. 5:6
Eph. 2:1
Eph. 2:3
1 Cor. 2:14
Rom. 6:16-20

Give one to each participant and have them read it aloud and comment.
When all have been read and summarized individually, ask some in the group to summarize what all the verses are teaching.

Similar to the method above, try these out and see how the group determines the overall meanings therein:
- John 6:37; John 6:39; John 10:29; John 17:11-12; John 17:9; John 17:22; John 18:9
or
- Jn 8:2, Jn 10:8, Jn 13:35, Jn 18:20, Jn 3:26, Jn 4:29,Jn 4:45

I find that having folks deal with the full counsel of Scripture via the method above gets them to thinking more carefully about matters that they often took for granted by relying upon a single verse of Scripture.
Two things...

First, ask great questions. Plan each question in advance by asking yourself if it is a question you would want to jump in and answer in a Bible study. If it is, then it's probably a good question to ask. Never hold a good question back because you'd rather talk about to that point yourself. Rather, give the participants the opportunity to shine by asking questions that allow to them to make the best comments of the study.

Second, be a great listener. Shut out other thoughts when people are answering. Don't be thinking about what you're going to say next; instead, be interested in them and what they have to say. Expect to learn as much from them as they will learn from you.

Do these things and you will have excellent participation!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That last comment was meant to be a response to the OP. (I'm still learning how to do this on my phone.)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That last comment was meant to be a response to the OP. (I'm still learning how to do this on my phone.)
Mystery solved.
whew.gif

I just wish I could encourage all who use Tapatalk to adjust their sigs therein to eliminate the advertisement of what particular phone is being used. ;)

Something like:
open app
select MENU
click settings
scroll down to "tapatalk Signature"
click
select NONE

Second, be a great listener. Shut out other thoughts when people are answering. Don't be thinking about what you're going to say next; instead, be interested in them and what they have to say. Expect to learn as much from them as they will learn from you.

That even sounds biblical! :)

Seriously, though, that is wonderful advice--something I need to hear often.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back