Ghosts and haunted houses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Ephesians 6:12! So I agree that Satan is still the active and powerful foe of the church. That said, what are the weapons of our warfare against him?

Already/Not yet.

D-Day has happened. But we are still mopping up.
What specificallly happened on D-day? What was the extent of Christ’s making an open show of principalities, triumphing over them, spoiling them? Did it make any difference between Satan’s activity in the OT and during Christ’s earthly ministry, and Satan’s activity after the cross?

Christ won the victory, but then ascended and gave the Great Commission to His disciples and told us to take over the rest of the world.

Unless all demons were rounded up during Christ's earthly ministry, I don't see why we need to believe that demon possesssion ended at that time.

Unless all demons were rounded up during Christ's earthly ministry, I don't see why we need to believe that demon possesssion ended at that time

Even then, going from by conversations Christ had with some demons, most of those demons weren't finally eradicated. They begged Christ not to send them to the Abyss. Most of them leave a human, look for another host, and then try to come back to the human. That's why evangelism is so important

Even then, going from by conversations Christ had with some demons, most of those demons weren't finally eradicated. They begged Christ not to send them to the Abyss. Most of them leave a human, look for another host, and then try to come back to the human. That's why evangelism is so important

It is still unclear to me how that works. The word Tartarus is used by Peter for the place of prison for some fallen angels and it appears there is no coming back for them. Is the Abyss the same place? Do we slowly put away the spirits in prison as the gospel spreads? And if so, how can you hold to a premil view and not a postmil view? Unless those spirits can pop out at the end for a final rebellion?

But yes, I agree that the demons were still active after the earthly ministry of Christ and the Apostles. After all, the Apostles did not go to ALL the ethne of the world.

The word Tartarus is used by Peter for the place of prison for some fallen angels and it appears there is no coming back for them. Is the Abyss the same place?

I don't know. Tartarus seems to imply they are never getting out. Yet in Revelation the Abyss is opened and Apollo leads the demons out.

I am actually pretty convinced our house is haunted. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched, we've been attacked, we hear strange sounds at night, and there just seems to be a presence of evil lurking around.

Thankfully we identified the demon, but he is here to stay. He goes by the name of Milo. He's about four years old, has four legs, and is a tan and white color. He likes to eat cat food and chase lizards. Oh yeah, and he sleeps all the time, so we're not too worried.

I am actually pretty convinced our house is haunted. Sometimes I feel like I'm being watched, we've been attacked, we hear strange sounds at night, and there just seems to be a presence of evil lurking around.

Thankfully we identified the demon, but he is here to stay. He goes by the name of Milo. He's about four years old, has four legs, and is a tan and white color. He likes to eat cat food and chase lizards. Oh yeah, and he sleeps all the time, so we're not too worried.
You're mistaking Gremlins and spooks. Don't feed him after midnight.

I think Earl believes that Satan goes about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). And that he has great cunning and devices against the church and believers (2 Corinthians 2:11); and that he tempts believers (1 Corinthians 7:1).
But that he has no real supernatural powers, nor do any of the demonic is my understanding of his position.

I thought I was being rather clear that I was asking Earl whether the feats were real or deception. In this context, a "real deception" is an oxymoron. I suppose one could say "real deception" to say that something "really is" a deception, but that is obviously not what I am saying.

In other words, I am not sure what needs clarifying here. Did the magicians in actual fact conjure actual snakes with actual "dark arts," or didn't they? Of course, I guess you're going to ask me next to define "actual." In that case, I am not sure what to say. I am not trying to trick anyone here. I am just curious what people make of these happenings in Scripture. That is all.
The Magicians in Egypt changed wooden sticks into snakes, correct?

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, brother. My apologies for not understanding what was being asked.

But, like I said earlier, at the moment I don't really have a dog in this fight, as I consider myself in general a cessationist, although the happenings surrounding the magicians, the witch of Endor, etc., do interest me in regards to their import for today. I will study more about it in the meantime.
Jesus did Himself warn us about false Messiahs in the end days who were doing signs and wonders, if possible, would deceive even the elect themselves!

So Satan prowls like a lion to devour, but can't devour anyone? Also, what are his darts that we are to extinguish? As well, per Revelation it was Satan who had believers put in prison. Just my quick thoughts.

So Satan prowls like a lion to devour, but can't devour anyone? Also, what are his darts that we are to extinguish? As well, per Revelation it was Satan who had believers put in prison. Just my quick thoughts.
We are limited to 3, maybe 4 dimensions, but what if Satan and His ilk operate and exist in many more dimensions?

Hey Ryan, I don’t think you’ll have seen anyone on the thread deny any of those things, or anything else that the Scriptures teach and equip the church with regarding Satan’s activity. I have seen a staunch belief confirmed of everything taught therein.

Last edited:
Hey Ryan, I don’t think you’ll have seen anyone on the thread deny any of those things, or anything else that the Scriotures teach and equip the church with regarding Satan’s activity. I have seen a staunch belief confirmed of everything taught therein.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Don't have time to read all of this but skimmed a bit. So, not so much on ghosts but on demon possession...Another has pointed out I think well that the demoniac at Geresenes shows us something interesting: he was possessed by demons, but all the other villagers, who didn't believe in Jesus, were not. So it seems one extreme (we in our circles don't really fall into) is saying every unbeliever is possessed by demons; but the other (we tend to very much fall into) is saying no unbelievers are possessed by demons. Sorry in advance if that's totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Don't have time to read all of this but skimmed a bit. So, not so much on ghosts but on demon possession...Another has pointed out I think well that the demoniac at Geresenes shows us something interesting: he was possessed by demons, but all the other villagers, who didn't believe in Jesus, were not. So it seems one extreme (we in our circles don't really fall into) is saying every unbeliever is possessed by demons; but the other (we tend to very much fall into) is saying no unbelievers are possessed by demons. Sorry in advance if that's totally irrelevant to the discussion.
I do not see any evidence by the scriptures that those who are really saved can be demon possessed!

I've read a lot of Manly P. Hall's works including The Secret Teaching of All Ages, Lost Keys of Freemasonry and Lectures. He never uses footnotes, never cites sources, and rarely if ever include a bib. In the text itself he will mention or allude to a source but they are difficult to find.

Point is he can't really be trusted. I know he gets a lot of cred from the occult and esoteric crowd but his work is weak and unsupported.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

I dismiss this based on what I believe is superstition. Have you not read the warning on the box?......"This is a game that is fictional and any semblance of reality is purely coincidental." :)

It's like dowsing which is a type of divination. I would avoid it.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back