Gibbons: Drop, Drop Slow Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Here's a very short song that gets to me every time I hear it. Make sure you open the words too.

Here's the lyrics if you don't have Spotify:
Edit: for some reason the first verse doesn't play. I've tried to work it out but I can't figure it out.

1 Drop, drop, slow tears, and bathe those beauteous feet,
which brought from heaven the news and Prince of Peace.

2 Cease not, wet eyes, his mercies to entreat;
to cry for vengeance sin doth never cease.

3 In your deep floods drown all my faults and fears;
nor let his eye see sin, but through my tears.

Last edited:
I first heard this song many years ago on the hymn program on the New Zealand National Radio. Brings me solemn reflection when I listen to it.

In your deep floods drown all my faults and fears;
nor let his eye see sin, but through my tears.

"drown all my faults and fears" kill is the word that comes to mind. Don't just repress it. Don't just forgive it. But kill it. Is that not what the writer means? And not just kill it, but drown it and that in deep waters.

What a thought this was to me. There is nothing viler than my sin. And it is mine as I own it. No force in the universe, but God is more powerful than sin. Satan isn't. Satan can only tempt us to sin, but only we can sin. And we do and will sin until our vile bodies are made like unto his glorious body. And someday soon, the whole body of sin must undergo death due to sin. It's not redeemable. It's not reformable. Sin, including our entire bodies, must die. At that very moment, the sin drops away, never to be heard of again. Oh, what a day that will be for me. So sin makes me want to pamper myself and enjoy what I can out of sin, yet its fate is sealed. Death is the only answer to our old nature.

"nor let his eye see sin, but through my tears." These few words are probably one of the best lyrics ever written.

If you are not by far the biggest enemy you have in the world, then I pity you for your lack of self-knowledge. Oh, this knowledge is hard. Not at all conducive to pride. But it is the only way we will come to love our savior dearly. For didn't he say they who are forgiven much love much?

Please, beg God to show you your heart. Know for sure that no matter what he shows you, you will not have taken in to the depth of it.
The heart is deceitful, and that above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? No one but God knows the depth of darkness that is in you. And no one but God could love such a one as you.
(Jeremiah 17:9)

But oh, how He loves us. It is as it says in the Scripture a love of a spousals. Read again the Song of Solomon and see what the bridegroom has to say about his dark wife who has neglected her own garden. There is no spot in her in his eyes. Remember that it speaks for the joy that was set before him, that he endured the cross. You are that Joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back