Gift idea for someone graduating from pastor's college

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbish

Puritan Board Freshman
A friend of ours is graduating from pastor's college this spring and afterwards will be pursuing a bi-vocational position within our church. I wanted to get him something special that would hopefully be beneficial to him as he starts this new season of his life. He obviously loves to read so I thought maybe a special edition of a puritan writer, or if there are any less common books that any of the pastors or elders here have found beneficial that he is unlikely to own. Also open to any non-book ideas too, but he's been such a blessing to my family I wanted to get him something special. Thanks and God bless!

Here's some ideas I have:
  • A copy of Logos with a bundle of resources (obviously check if he has this)
  • A high quality Bible in his preferred translation (you can go very high quality depending on what you want to spend)

Something useful and which would be appreciated by a pastor having to support himself? A hundred dollar bill.

My parents gave me a nice goatskin leather Bible when I graduated. It is something that I use every day, obviously, and I am thankful for it.

Logos was mentioned, they now do gift cards.

It is hard to determine what he has read in Seminary, but one option is a good book on godly leadership. Reformation Heritage Books has a great book on leadership on sale "Saint Peter's Principles: Leadership for Those Who Already Know Their Incompetence" (Lillback). It is written by a Seminary President thus written by a wise and godly man who has extensive leadership experience. It is a sizable and substantial book. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Cigars or a New Tobacco Pipe followed by a gift card so he can buy what he wants (maybe he needs new socks and underwear) :detective:

Cigars or a New Tobacco Pipe followed by a gift card so he can buy what he wants
I had not seen your humorous comments on the Puritan Board for some weeks. It was getting to the stage that I was starting to question my Reformed eschatology. I was wondering if you had been caught up in the Pretribulation rapture and I had been left behind. :)

I had not seen your humorous comments on the Puritan Board for some weeks. It was getting to the stage that I was starting to question my Reformed eschatology. I was wondering if you had been caught up in the Pretribulation rapture and I had been left behind. :)
Yes I know friend. Been busy and a little sad, my best pal (and dog), Hoss died in my arms a week back.
A73516C0-2434-4864-847B-676EE06BFB7C.jpeg Even being the filthy cat lover you are (cheeky), I know you’ll understand.

Also when your as funny as I am you have to take breaks to recharge.:detective:

Attachments

• F8885A36-2DAF-4B0F-9019-F419444DFBDF.jpeg
    F8885A36-2DAF-4B0F-9019-F419444DFBDF.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
You're idea is good; a special older volume. Depending on your price range a very nice leather Bible.

Yes I know friend. Been busy and a little sad, my best pal (and dog), Hoss died in my arms a week back.
Grant, I truly am sorry to hear this. I have loved many dogs and other animals over the years so I know how difficult it is when they die. And dogs are so loving and understanding too.

Lovely photo. Hoss looked like an awesome dog. Take care my friend.

Better to give money or gift certificate for books than to purchase an actual book.

But if he’s bi-vocational, chances are he could use help paying his bills... or maybe help buying suits/shirts/ties/shoes for church.

Give them a Visa gift card. I can assure you it will be much appreciated. However, with any such card, be sure it is not one of the "wasting" versions that deducts a service fee every month it is not used.

I think something small like a pipe or whiskey glass so he can remember you when he sees it and then give him money so he can buy what he needs.

If he doesn't have it, I would also highly recommend The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges. It is arguably the best single pastoral theology available. It's a book that has been immensely beneficial to me. I've read it multiple times and always found it convicting and encouraging.

Agree with The Christian Ministry. Also a copy of Baxter's directory, or Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament edited by Beale and Carson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back