Gisbertus Voet - Introduction to A Disputation of Spiritual Abandonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Puritan Board Sophomore
Here is my first translation from old Dutch to English, I do plan to finish the book as long as my spare time permits.

Gisbertus Voet

A Disputation of Spiritual Abandonments

Christian warfare is by no means the least part in the practice of holiness.
In which must be confidently considered:

1. The Christian warrior and his weapons.
2. The enemies confronted.
3. The war or the battle itself.
4. The resistance.

The enemies are the difficulties of this life, the scandalous and the sorrows. The shameful acts of various evils and sins, with her seductions and enticements. The sad pleasures, afflictions and temptations; spiritual or internal; physical and external.
The external afflictions are sickness, poverty, persecution etc. The inward are spiritual abandonment and the temptation there of.
Excluding all other enemies and parts of the fight, we shall here only explore and deal with the spiritual expressions. The curses (lit. Anti-gifts), the method and manner of healing. Lastly we shall answer questions about the fallen conscience.

https://books.google.com/books?id=DKbEswEACAAJ&dq=inauthor:"Gijsbert+Voet"&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjexprq2cPiAhVSqJ4KHY1wBw44RhDoAQglMAA

We work closely with the Dutch Reformed Translation Society. This was a work we published in our Classics of Reformed Spirituality series. It will be interesting to compare your translation with what we published. I do look forward to reading your translations.

@Seeking_Thy_Kingdom, I do not mean to discourage you, but if this work has already been translated into English, then why do another translation? There is tons of other stuff that really needs translating. It may be a good idea to get in touch with the Davenant Institute, who publish brief translations out of theological works in their Ad Fontes journal.

My intention was not discourage but to inform. I agree there are many important works yet to be translated.

Also, I responded to your message. I am looking forward to starting a dialogue with you on a few things.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, I did not realize this work had already been done. Just because I have already finished his first point, here is my translation for comparison:

In order that the ambiguity of words do not cause any darkness here, we would like to warn in advance that the practicalities are often in their use of words and keep the following uses for one and the same:

Temptation or struggle between the flesh and spirit; an insane and restless conscience; abandonment or struggle with conscience; battle and temptation with Satan; numb religion; sadness of mind or spirit; the feeling of God’s wrath and wrestling with oneself; desolation or gloom; spiritual hardship or barrenness.
The view and the meaning of the words and terms, with which all these matters are expressed must be distinguished precisely for the purposes of convincing and freeing readers of apparent contradiction.

The words temptation and abandonment are used the most here, so they have to be properly described.
The temptation is either from
  1. Man
  2. The Devil
  3. God
Mankind is either too good, or too evil. Good when they take care of others, or themselves, or the community, or search for spiritual gifts. (2 Cor 13:5, 1 Cor 11:28)

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.
Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

Evil is when men curse God, or others, or themselves. (James 1:13-14)

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back