Give us this day our daily bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Puritan Board Sophomore
Can anyone provide me with some insight on the word "daily" (ἐπιούσιος)? I see that it is a hapax legomenon and I am aware of the controversy as to its meaning.
Does anyone have a bit more insight than the cacophony that we find on wikipedia or the rest of the internet?

From the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains.

67.183 καθημερινός, ή, όν; ἐφήμερος, ον; ἐπιούσιοςa, ον: pertaining to recurring on a daily basis—‘daily, on each day.’
καθημερινός: ὅτι παρεθεωροῦντο ἐν τῇ διακονίᾳ τῇ καθημερινῇ αἱ χῆραι αὐτῶν ‘(saying) that their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of funds’ Ac 6:1.
ἐφήμερος: λειπόμενοι τῆς ἐφημέρου τροφῆς ‘they don’t have enough to eat each day’ Jas 2:15.
ἐπιούσιοςa: τὸν ἄρτον ἡμῶν τὸν ἐπιούσιον δὸς ἡμῖν σήμερον ‘give us each day our daily bread’ Mt 6:11. For another interpretation of ἐπιούσιος in Mt 6:11, see 67.206.
It is also possible to understand ἐπιούσιος in Mt 6:11 as meaning ‘necessary for existence’ or ‘that which is needed for each day’ or ‘that which is needed for the following day’ or ‘… for the future.’ One reason for the difficulties involved in determining the meaning of ἐπιούσιος is the fact that, as Origen stated, it may very well have been coined by the Gospel writers.

Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 651.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back