Giving it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnlcnwy

Puritan Board Freshman
I have been talking with some of the authorities here about my current position of "not sure" on the sabbath. I decided it would be a good thing to help make up my mind to try it. So today I bought a cold cut sandwich for food tomorrow and a couple cups of coffee to keep until tomorrow. I still intend to go to a public place to socialize, but I will conduct no business. Some people who I have a lot of respect for would approve of this, one of whom is the preacher whose sermon broke the back of my resistance and called me into a repentance. Just thought you might like to know.

As a matter of fact, on the way home today I came under conviction over this. Not sabbath keeping itself. I had accused a brother of dwelling on lesser issues of the law by bringing up sabbath keeping on a post that I had intended to be about grace, a weighty issue. Perhaps, but by refusing to address his concerns, I was turning around and neglecting another very weighty issue of the law, putting other's concerns before my own. So my apologies to all who read my response to my brother's concerns on that post, I was wrong to ignore even a lesser concern. There was plenty of space and time to speak to everybody's issues. And in particular my apologies to my brother.

Last edited:
God has promised a blessing to those who keep His sabbath day holy.
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: 14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
- Isa 58:13,14
Regarding the preacher whose sermon God used to bring you to repentance, while we rejoice in the Lord using this man to call you to repentance, do not hold any man's views or opinions over that of God's truth. Sincere men can be sincerely wrong. May God bless you as you seek to worship Him as He has prescribed.

I found Walter Chantry’s book “Call the Sabbath a Delight” really helpful. I don’t go to the extent of preparing food in advance, but try to give myself to worship, fellowship, prayer, reading, and study of the Scriptures, and refraining from recreation, excess and business.
I have found keeping the Lord’s Day holy to be a great blessing, and pray God may bless you in this day too!

I reference especially the Westminster larger catechism Q117.

Last edited:
Some people who I have a lot of respect for would approve of this, one of whom is the preacher whose sermon broke the back of my resistance and called me into a repentance

Galatians 3:24​
"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ..."​

If I may use this verse to illustrate a pattern in the scripture. First comes the Law with its command to obey. The goal of the law is to bring you to Christ. What I hope for you is that this "test" of yours will lead you from law to gospel--from duty to delight. That is the goal of all that God commands us to do.

I refer you to @Andres citing of Isaiah 58:13,14 above.

Everything the Lord asks us to do is for your joy and His glory.
All praise to Him, who is above all blessing and praise.

Nehemiah 9:5b​
“Stand up and bless the Lord your God from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise."​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back