Glentoran vs Linfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
All being well, I will be attending the Belfast "Big Two" match at The Oval (East Belfast) this afternoon at 3.00 pm. Anyone else from PB hoping to be in attendance? Obviously, I will be supporting the team in blue (Linfield), but I hope Glentoran get a good turn out to ease their financial problems.

Glentoran%20vs%20Linfield%20Home_3.jpg

I have gone to this fixture a few times in the past. My youngest son spoke about us both going so I may go along. Thing is we would favour the Glens but my father in law, born and bred I the shadow of Windsor Park, is a Blues man.

The Linfield end is all ticket today. It has been known, however, for Glentoran officials to sell tickets to Blues' fans at the bridge on Dee Street. I think you should be able to get a ticket for the Glens' end; even if the authorities have restricted the attendance to 5,000 (like they did a couple of years ago), the Glens do not get great crowds nowadays. That said, it is probably best to check their website for the precise details.

I have just read that the match is sold-out. Thus, it might be better to go to the North Belfast derby instead (Crusaders vs Cliftonville).

Just checked the Glentoran website. A few tickets were on sale up until 1045. Will give it a miss and will just have to content ourselves by watching Man Utd v Hull on the telly. At least it will be a bit warmer

Have you been back at Tynecastle at all recently? It's looking very grim and since wining the cup I cannot believe how far we have fallen. Mind you a win at Easter Road next week will give a much needed boost.

I was at Tynecastle in September when Hearts played Celtic (lost 3-1); that was the first match I was at where I saw them score a goal. As a bonus, I got to meet the former Liverpool player, Gary McAllister who was commenting on the game for ESPN (a really nice man). I am not sure when I will get the opportunity to see Hearts again ... probably after our relegation. BTW, one reason why Hearts are my team in Scotland is because I consider Rangers to be a poor-man's Linfield. ;)

Glentoran 1 Linfield 2 :cheers:

A pretty good game by Irish League standards; Glentoran were the better team in the first-half, while Linfield dominated most of the second-half prior to Glentoran's last minute goal.

For those who like C. S. Lewis, it may interest you to know that there is a wall mural dedicated to him on Dee Street, which is round the corner from Glentoran's stadium.

Narnia%20mural%208_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

I was at Tynecastle in September when Hearts played Celtic (lost 3-1); that was the first match I was at where I saw them score a goal. As a bonus, I got to meet the former Liverpool player, Gary McAllister who was commenting on the game for ESPN (a really nice man). I am not sure when I will get the opportunity to see Hearts again ... probably after our relegation. BTW, one reason why Hearts are my team in Scotland is because I consider Rangers to be a poor-man's Linfield. ;)
I always thought a Linfield fan was someone who couldn't afford a ferry to Glasgow.

I always thought a Linfield fan was someone who couldn't afford a ferry to Glasgow.

In fairness, with the exception of most Cliftonville and Warrenpoint supporters, that describes most Irish League fans. However, a significant minority of Linfield and Glentoran fans support Hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back