Glorious Providence, or One of the Coolest Lord's Days in a While

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
OK, today did not start off well. I was afraid that the parking lot at the church had frozen over last night, and I walked over around 7:15 and found out that my fears were confirmed. A thin glaze covered the entire parking lot. I called an elder and we decided it would be best to cancel church.

My wife and I sent the next while calling and canceling. We noticed that the roads were fine, so she suggested we see if we could make it to another church. One PCA church in town had already started worship, the other is Federal Vision, and the PC(USA) churches are thoroughly liberal. So I did a Google search and found the name of a Reformed Baptist church that wasn't too far away (20 minutes or so). I checked the webpage and there was a lot about historical Christianity and the word "puritan" was even used, so I figured it was safe.

As we were getting ready, I remarked to my wife that I should try to give fellow PB member Bryan Wiley (StaytheCourse) a call and see where he worships, but it was probably too late to do so. We got ready and drove to the church.

We found the church to be very friendly. We almost immediately saw a young woman named Marie (those of you familiar with James White's radio program will recognize her as Marie the Librarian, known for her superior research skills). We had met her on an Alpha and Omega cruise two years ago and I had forgotten she was from Louisville (we were living in Atlanta at the time). After speaking with her, lo, who do we see? Bryan Wiley! We were at his church! Now that's some cool, cool providence! The Lord is AWESOME!!!

The service was very good and worshipful. The sermon was tremendous (Acts 5:29 -- "But Peter and the apostles answered, 'We must obey God rather than men.'"). We were invited to stay for a meal after the service. Apparently they do this every week, but not many stayed this week (I joked that they found out I was a Presbyterian and left ;) ). It was really great fellowship, and before we knew it, it was after 5 pm! The evening service was at 6 pm (and we do not have one :( ), so we stayed for that too!

Don't worry, I'm not going to become Reformed Baptist. But this was a really great church, and spending time with a fellow PBer is always great. I did find out today that Bryan hasn't been on here in a while because someone recently stole his laptop.

One thing I did discover today though that was also a great blessing -- as great as the sermon was, I found myself really missing preaching the word today. The desire to faithfully preach his word was renewed in me today, and I am very thankful for that. God be praised!

Last edited:
One thing I did discover today though that was also a great blessing -- as great as the sermon was, I found myself really missing preaching the word today. The desire to faithfully preach his word was renewed in me today, and I am very thankful for that. God be praised!

I feel the same every time as well. It is not that I think I could do better - I just can't imagine not preaching!

I feel the same every time as well. It is not that I think I could do better - I just can't imagine not preaching!

That's exactly what I mean. I do not think I could have preached "better" per se, just differently. It was just that I missed preaching the word and can not wait until next Lord's Day. Actually, I get a "make up" sermon because I get to preach at presbytery as well next Monday!!!

-----Added 2/23/2009 at 08:27:37 EST-----

Maybe in a few weeks, you'll be preaching at Midlane Park PresbyBaptist Church...

Theognome

Don't laugh -- just down the road from us is Midlane Park Baptist Church. They get our mail, we get their trash polycart...

At least someone is sending them good doctrine then, even if it's in 'error'.

Theognome

Well, they were getting some good doctrine at one time because the pastor they had was a student at Southern Seminary and he was Reformed. I met him and he is a good guy. But he left a few months ago to devote more time to his studies, and I'm not sure who they have preaching/pastoring now (they haven't even taken the former guy's name off the sign).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back