God’s love for the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ursinus: "The cause which moved God to give his Son for us was: 1. His love towards the human race. “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son.” (John 3:16.) 2. The compassion of God towards those who were fallen in sin and death."

Which I believe has link to the usage of 'world' in John 1.

Ursinus: "The cause which moved God to give his Son for us was: 1. His love towards the human race. “God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son.” (John 3:16.) 2. The compassion of God towards those who were fallen in sin and death."
When Ursinus used the word “human race” and “those who were fallen in sin and death”, wasn’t he referring specifically to the elect?

When Ursinus used the word “human race” and “those who were fallen in sin and death”, wasn’t he referring specifically to the elect?
I don't think so. That would mean John 3:16 is saying that God so loved the elect that whoever believes does not perish... which does not make sense.

'Whosoever believes' is not necessary as a qualifier in this case. Surely the elect believes.

I think Ursinus had John 1 in mind (he came to the world that does not know him, but as many as received..)

John 3:14-15 should also inform you of John 3:16. God looked at sin-ridden Israel/world and placed the bronze serpent/Son in the midst of the wilderness/world that whosoever looked/believed on the serpent/Son shall not perish.

I believe this general humanity view is reflected in the Canons of Dort also:

Article 1
As all men have sinned in Adam, lie under the curse, and are deserving of eternal death, God would have done no injustice by leaving them all to perish and delivering them over to condemnation on account of sin, according to the words of the apostle: That every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God (Rom. 3:19). And: For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God (Rom. 3:23). And: For the wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23).

Article 2
But in this the love of God was manifested, that He sent his only begotten Son into the world, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life (1 John 4:9; John 3:16).
---
^ where we move from the general to the particular in election in the later articles.

Last edited:
Calvin:

And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the import of the term World, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back