God approving polygamy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Mike
Which David, one of the examples on the table, was.

Right. I was merely trying to make the point that the Scriptural text was not referring to any men in the Bible but the king of Israel. Samuel's father Elkanah had two wives and I can see no comments in the immediate text that says he displeased God because of it.

Originally posted by Scott Bushey
Originally posted by Draught Horse
Seven wives sounds great, but who could handle seven mother-in-laws!:lol:

Seven wives, thats frightening. God is wise; one is more than enough!:banana:

[Edited on 6-13-2005 by Scott Bushey]

AS IF any womnan would want more than one husband...:2cents:

Originally posted by gwine
Right. I was merely trying to make the point that the Scriptural text was not referring to any men in the Bible but the king of Israel. Samuel's father Elkanah had two wives and I can see no comments in the immediate text that says he displeased God because of it.
You seek to use this argument from absence. I am pointing out that you can clearly not consistently apply it. We don't find anything in the books of history or the Psalms about what is clearly wrong when it comes to some of the kings' multiplication of wives. There are "no comments in the immediate text" to tell us that what they are doing wrong, when we know that they were. Therefore, the argument you are building is clearly (by itself) not enough to say what you want it to.

You are reading too much into my statement, my friend. I am not arguing anything. I am not trying to prove a point. I was merely pointing out that the passage in question only referred to the king of Israel.

All you have to do is look at the grief that many of the multiple-wives men of the Bible and see that God's plan did not include polygamy.

I apologize, I did indeed read into your posts things you did not say. I have not given you the consideration I owe you nor the benefit of the doubt. I hope our future interactions will have less of this error on my part.

:handshake:

And I really wasn't looking for an apology. You will find that I sometimes fail to express myself as I should, so some of my posts are there to explain what I meant to say the first time.

Enjoy your time here on the Puritan Board. It's quite a ride and you can learn much from everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back