God to Us: Covenant Theology in Scripture (Stephen Myers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Someone recently recommended this book on the Puritan Board and I see it has a number of glowing reviews. How does it compare to other works on Covenant Theology?

Here is my limited view:

1. Crossway's volume was very good however it had many authors involved. Which actually is a strength. But for consistency over 10+ chapters it was hard for it to display. Nevertheless, Crossway's volume complements Myer's well (and others). It had some great essays (Covenant in Hebrews!)
2. Deals with issues such as the diatheke language, as well as Klinean views.
3. Exegetical, going deep into the passages and contexts. Not afraid to deal with issues (Does Gen. 15 depict the cross or not? How was Paul using Leviticus 18:5 in Gal 3:10?)
4. Great footnotes and bibliography. There is interaction with Turretin to Kline.

The other comparable volume would be Belcher's (whom Myer's quotes at times) which I do not have but it is probably excellent as well.
I am also someone who was never satisfied with O Palmer Robertson's for some reason, and I preferred the material from PB's C Matthew McMahon. Anyway, I am thankful for Myer's volume. I wished it came out when I was going into covenant theology for the first time.

Last edited:
Thank you John. I thought a book coming from a teacher at PRTS would be very good.

Some specific questions:

2. Deals with issues such as the diatheke language, as well as Klinean views.
3. Exegetical, going deep into the passages and contexts. Not afraid to deal with issues (Does Gen. 15 depict the cross or not? How was Paul using Leviticus 18:5 in Gal 3:10?)
4. Great footnotes and bibliography. There is interaction with Turretin to Kline.
I assume you mean Myer here, not Crossway?

What is his view on the OPC report?

Does he interact with classic older covenant theologians such as Francis Roberts and Witsius? (The giants of historic covenant theology)?

Does he interact with some covenantal Baptist views such as 1689 Federalism?

I also appreciate McMahon's work as well as the 'Ruin and Redemption' course. And Witsius of course :)

1. I meant the Crossway volume on Covenant Theology that came a few years ago.
2. He is not OPC I believe and along with your question 4: it is a volume that does not focus on polemics although you get it with the direct key issues such as Kline, and baptism's recipients are covered but not in a way that dissects a Baptist's view point by point. It is very much a rich positive presentation (which I believe is what RHB books do very well). The book is 300 pages.
3. He quotes Calvin, Turretin, Witsius but not Roberts (just scanned the bibliography). But definitely not because of ignorance (He oversees the PHD Historical Theology program at PRTS).

I guess the practical question is if it is worth buying, then of course it depends on what you have

He is not OPC I believe and along with your question 4: it is a volume that does not focus on polemics although you get it with the direct key issues such as Kline, and baptism's recipients are covered but not in a way that dissects a Baptist's view point by point. It is very much a rich positive presentation (which I believe is what RHB books do very well). The book is 300 pages.
Just to clarify my comments about the OPC report. The OPC report looked at the Reformed view of the Mosaic covenant and 'essentially' argued that the Mosaic Covenant was a covenant of Grace. I was basically asking does Myers argue that the Mosaic Covenant was a Covenant of Grace or does he agree with Kline?

I forgot to ask in my last post, I assume Myers interacts with both Bavinck's and Vos' Reformed Dogmatics - Bavinck and Vos both being theological giants.
I guess the practical question is if it is worth buying, then of course it depends on what you have
I have McMahon (Covenant Theology made easy), the 'Ruin and Redemption' course, Venema's insightful work 'Christ and Covenant Theology', Witsius 2 vols, and Bogue's helpful work on Jonathan Edwards Covenant Theology, also AW Pink's work defending Baptist Covenant Theology. I do not have the Crossway work. Thus I think it may be good to add Myers to my collection.

Finally, Joel Beeke's comment drew my interest - "Dr. Myers’s book on covenant theology is a sterling blend of thoroughly sound and Reformed exegetical, biblical, historical, systematic, and experiential theology". I like books that blend key branches of theology.

Last edited:
He is against Kline. Yes there is Bavinck and Vos.

All of us would do well to get a 21st century book on covenant theology that overviews the development of covenant theology. Older works of course do not interact with stuff like dispensationalism, Kline etc.. Many would profit from Myer's historical theological strengths as well as the careful exegetical work in the key passages.

I was basically asking does Myers argue that the Mosaic Covenant was a Covenant of Grace or does he agree with Kline?
The OPC argues that there is two ways to interpret what Kline taught. One was a republication where it was a CoW in substance and one that was a republication that was an administration of the CoG

He is against Kline. Yes there is Bavinck and Vos.

All of us would do well to get a 21st century book on covenant theology that overviews the development of covenant theology. Older works of course do not interact with stuff like dispensationalism, Kline etc.. Many would profit from Myer's historical theological strengths as well as the careful exegetical work in the key passages.
Thank you. Yes I knew Myers was strong on historical theology. Also Bavinck and Vos both give us some of the best covenant theology. Glad they are quoted.

The OPC argues that there is two ways to interpret what Kline taught. One was a republication where it was a CoW in substance and one that was a republication that was an administration of the CoG
Thanks. I have not read a lot on this area but like the emphasis of the OPC report.

What are your own thoughts on it, especially as a 'big picture' confessional covenant theology work? I was going to recommend it in the new thread 'For those who went from Reformed Baptist to Presbyterian' but still wondering if it is suitable for a Reformed Baptist thinking through to a paedobaptist position.

What are your own thoughts on it, especially as a 'big picture' confessional covenant theology work? I was going to recommend it in the new thread 'For those who went from Reformed Baptist to Presbyterian' but still wondering if it is suitable for a Reformed Baptist thinking through to a paedobaptist position.

I am obviously biased. Outside of working for the publisher, I know Stephen and his family. His family has worshipped with us many times, and he has filled our pulpit on occasion.

But my honest thoughts are that it is a solid introduction to Reformed CT. Stephen is a solid historical theologian that writes in a clear and edifying manner. It will be the book I recommend people tackle after Jonty Rhodes's book.

Regarding suggesting it to Baptists, he does interact with their writings, such as Pascal Denault and Thomas Schreiner.

Last edited:
But my honest thoughts are that it is a solid introduction to Reformed CT. Stephen is a solid historical theologian that writes in a clear and edifying manner. It will be the book I recommend people tackle after Jonty Rhodes's book.
Thanks Robert. You convinced me to buy it :) I ordered it from a Reformed bookshop in Australia. I love purchasing from RHB directly but global shipping speeds to this part of the world are not good these days.
Regarding suggesting it to Baptists, he does interact with their writings, such as Pascal Denault and Thomas Schreiner.
Note that Denault is a covenantal Baptist but Schreiner is a new covenant theologian. Schreiner would disagree with the covenant theology of the 1689 Baptist Confession.

Note that Denault is a covenantal Baptist but Schreiner is a new covenant theologian. Schreiner would disagree with the covenant theology of the 1689 Baptist Confession.
Yes, you are correct, but my point stands—he interacts with a few leading Baptist theologians.

It's been awhile since I read the manuscript and have read much since then, so that is about as far as I can provide info at the moment.

Yes, you are correct, but my point stands—he interacts with a few leading Baptist theologians.
Robert, I have appreciated your comments and recommendation of this book. I just want to provide a clarification because it is an important clarification.

When I was a Reformed Baptist, one of my frustrations of some Reformed Baptists was that they aligned themselves more with non Covenantal Baptists than with Covenantal Paedobaptists. In other words they regarded Baptist theology as being more important than Covenant Theology itself. That is why I made this clarification:
In other words not all Baptists are equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back