God's laughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
Psa 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Psa 2:5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

I read this Psalm a week or so ago, and its come to mind from time-to-time since. I've been wondering:

1. What's time frame is this talking about? 70AD? judgment Day? Neither? both?

2. Strong says this about the Hebrew word for laugh:
H7832
שׂחק
śâchaq
saw-khak'
A primitive root; to laugh (in pleasure or detraction); by implication to play: - deride, have in derision, laugh, make merry, mock (-er), play, rejoice, (laugh to) scorn, be in (make) sport.
The different words in the definition paint a different picture. Which word best conveys the meaning of the Hebrew word here? Mock?

3. Is this to be taken literally (I read somewhere, maybe Gill, that its not saying that God will literally laugh - similar to how the Bible talks about God repenting, but him not actually repenting in the same way we do)? If so, who hears him laugh?

4. The ESV translates the verse: Psa 2:4 He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.

Is it present tense or future?

5. In what way (if we're supposed to) should Christians emulate God's attitude here? What is God's attitude towards those who opposed Jesus and how should we imitate that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back