God's presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preach

Puritan Board Sophomore
If the Old Testament believers were indwelled by the Holy Spirit, what was the significance of God's presence amongst the people (for example, His presence was with the ark of the covenant, the shekina cloud, etc)? Thanks.

Although, on individual level, the Spirit has worked exactly the same since the beginning of time. In the corporate sense it was different.
In the Old Testament the Lord's presense was manifested only in specific geographical locations. i.e. Eden, Bethel, Tabernacle, the temple etc. But in the New Testament since the coming of the Spirit at Penetecost the House of God is now where two or three are gathered in his name (Matt 18:20 Heb 2:11-13). Obviously that is referring to a place where the gospel is preached and the sacraments are rightly adminstrated See Act 2:42. This is what Christ meant in John 1:51 when told Nathanael that He would be the ladder and gateway between heaven and earth. The mainfest presense of God on the people of God in the Old Testament also served as a means of Grace, where as the New Testament we can have it in any geographical location through Word and Sacrament.

VanVos

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by VanVos]

Just some notes to follow, Bobby -

After the Fall, we have the restoration of the Spirit by a remedial economy all through the OT. The Spirit was lost by the Fall (upon one sin) and He is to be regained in the OT by a "temporary means" until the Messiah may send Him from the procession of His Messianic throneroom.

Prophets in the OT were all filled with the Spirit (1 Peter 1:11).

The Spirit was less imparted than from the procession of the Messianic enthronement in the NT, but the same impartation of salvation and power remians in both testaments. there are not two classes of Christians.

Paul says we have the same spirit of faith -
2 Corinthians 4:13 And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak" where Paul was quoting Psalm 116:10.

In every age, the Spirit is given for service and empowerment (after salvation of course).

Have you read the books for the Holy spirit class yet? Smeaton is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back