Going out to eat on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvroftheWord

Puritan Board Sophomore
Nehemiah 13:15-18--
In those days I saw people in Judah treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and loading donkeys with wine, grapes, figs, and all kinds of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I warned them about the day on which they were selling provisions. Men of Tyre dwelt there also, [b:4b4b9fad8a]who brought in fish and all kinds of goods, and sold them on the Sabbath to the children of Judah[/b:4b4b9fad8a], and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said to them, "What evil thing is this that you do, by which you profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers do thus, and did not our God bring all this disaster on us and on this city? Yet you bring added wrath on Israel by profaning the Sabbath.

Given the above text, should we or should we not go out to eat with our friends after church on Sunday?

Since we're discussing all things Sabbath...

This is one of those doctrines that I haven't studied enough. I am aware of the WCF's stance on it. Yes, Calvin bowled on Sunday...I also know that many people say that we're in the rest in Christ that is perpetual. Then there is the argument from creation. Then there are people that want to abrogate laws and be under love...

All of that to say: How do these verses get exegeted by the various groups? What would be the strongest interpretation?

Colossians 2
15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[1]
16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Confused on Friday - hoping to have it figured out by Sunday (or is it Saturday night?):rolleyes:

[quote:c6eac1ead1][i:c6eac1ead1]Originally posted by luvroftheWord[/i:c6eac1ead1]
Nehemiah 13:15-18--
In those days I saw people in Judah treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and loading donkeys with wine, grapes, figs, and all kinds of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I warned them about the day on which they were selling provisions. Men of Tyre dwelt there also, [b:c6eac1ead1]who brought in fish and all kinds of goods, and sold them on the Sabbath to the children of Judah[/b:c6eac1ead1], and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said to them, "What evil thing is this that you do, by which you profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers do thus, and did not our God bring all this disaster on us and on this city? Yet you bring added wrath on Israel by profaning the Sabbath.

Given the above text, should we or should we not go out to eat with our friends after church on Sunday? [/quote:c6eac1ead1]

I do not, and I believe it is a violation of the 4th commandment. Instead of going out with friends, we use our home for hospitality and have people over. The warmth of hospitality makes it worth it even if it is cold cuts.

[quote:da5ca36d9f][i:da5ca36d9f]Originally posted by crhoades[/i:da5ca36d9f]
Since we're discussing all things Sabbath...

This is one of those doctrines that I haven't studied enough. I am aware of the WCF's stance on it. [b:da5ca36d9f]Yes, Calvin bowled on Sunday... [/b:da5ca36d9f]I also know that many people say that we're in the rest in Christ that is perpetual. Then there is the argument from creation. Then there are people that want to abrogate laws and be under love...

All of that to say: How do these verses get exegeted by the various groups? What would be the strongest interpretation?

Colossians 2
15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[1]
16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Confused on Friday - hoping to have it figured out by Sunday (or is it Saturday night?):rolleyes: [/quote:da5ca36d9f]

Check out Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Or, Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?

For those who are unaware, Tom is right. (and Chris Coldwell's article is great) The legend that Calvin bowled on Sunday is a lie deliberately begun by haters of the 4th commandment and perpetuated by the unaware.

Calvin most certainly did not.

I don't think it's a good idea. When we do that, we're paying others to prepare and serve food all day instead of observing the sabbath. Restaurants aren't a necessity. They do not need to be open on Sunday. Jobs of necessity are a different story.

In Christ,
Scot

Thank you all for the Calvin correction. I'm involved in a study group of around 20 people who are working through the Institutes and this came up last night in regards to the Creation account.

I now need to go back and inform the others on the findings.

[quote:80063676ef][i:80063676ef]Originally posted by fredtgreco[/i:80063676ef]
I do not, and I believe it is a violation of the 4th commandment. Instead of going out with friends, we use our home for hospitality and have people over. The warmth of hospitality makes it worth it even if it is cold cuts. [/quote:80063676ef]
:ditto:
And I'll also add another thought, by buying on the Sabbath, you are aiding that business to employ people on the Sabbath, thereby contributing to their own violating of the Sabbath.

I don't eat out or buy stuff on the Sabbath either. I try to only reheat stuff I've already cooked too, or make something light like a deli sandwhich if I'm eating.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. As soon as you make a list of what is and is not allowed on the Sabbath you have missed the entire point of the Sabbath.

Is rubbing wheat corns in your hand work on the Sabbath? There are a thousand ways that we get tempted into thinking like the pharasees and make devotion mechanical.

I'm reading a book right now of how the puritan missionaries who went to Tahiti taught strict and sober sabbath observance to the natives. For years nothing happened on the Sabbath and then they realized that the ship Duff they had travellled on had lost a day. They were observing the sabbath on Saturday. They had even preached that the reason one of the men had gone blind was because he are done gardening on the sabbath.

This isn't to open the debate again (cuz I love you all just the way you are) but if you will follow the regulative princiiple the Sabbath, ordained at creation, has never been changed from the seventh day.

No matter, whether you rest on the seventh day or on the Lord's day, stop telling others what they can and cannot do on this wonderful gift from our Father, for you degrade it in doing so.

Good sabbath (yesterday) and a blessed Lord's day (today) to you all.

[quote:1d8db5bc99][i:1d8db5bc99]Originally posted by maxdetail[/i:1d8db5bc99]
I've said it before, I'll say it again. As soon as you make a list of what is and is not allowed on the Sabbath you have missed the entire point of the Sabbath.
[/quote:1d8db5bc99]
Without the list you lose the whole point. We base the list of do's and don't upon the main purpose of the Sabbath, to worship God, freed from the daily concerns of our normal work. You only become a pharisee by binding more than the Word of God or by obeying the Sabbath legalisticly.
[quote:1d8db5bc99]
No matter, whether you rest on the seventh day or on the Lord's day, stop telling others what they can and cannot do on this wonderful gift from our Father, for you degrade it in doing so.
[/quote:1d8db5bc99]
I don't know if you realize it or not, but you are making your own list of do's and don'ts about the Sabbath by your post.

[quote:1d8db5bc99]
This isn't to open the debate again (cuz I love you all just the way you are) but if you will follow the regulative princiiple the Sabbath, ordained at creation, has never been changed from the seventh day. [/quote:1d8db5bc99]
If it's not open to debate then why did you post?

Bob,
You write:
"No matter, whether you rest on the seventh day or on the Lord's day, "

Is not Jesus Lord of the sabbath? Is the sabbath one in seven or is it Saturday? Can Christ change the cycle of the "1 in seven" from the Saturday to the first day if he so wills?

Can we as believers have the sabbath (Saturday) and the Lords day?

Is God a god of confussion? If he is not, was it His intention that we have the Lords day [i:5cc92cf9bf]and the sabbath[/i:5cc92cf9bf]?

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Scott Bushey]

Is it right to debate on the sabbath, Christian or Jewish?

I didn't want to open the dabate simply because we've debated it. I just wanted to record the fact that some of us follow a different conviction regarding the keeping of the sabbath and the church changing of the sabbath from the 7th to the 1st day.

Scott, your questions are the usual and correct questions to bring up in the debate but following the implicit teachings of scripture, we do not have the resources to solve the issue this side of heaven. (Just like mode of baptism, just like endtimes scenarios.)

I DO believe it is important for each church to adopt a stand on these issues and then hold to their polity.

Most of my friends are Sunday keepers and pretribbers. I love them, their saving faith is evident in the fruit they display and I don't expect God to strike them blind. :D May He have mercy on us for all the jots and tittles we've added or removed.

As for me, I love the sabbath, it is God's gift to man. You guys can do whatever you want on Sunday it's the day after the sabbath. But if you are fully conviced that the sabbath is the 1st day then keep it holy.
Whatever you do, everyday, do it out of honor for God but don't tell me that I can't rub wheat corns in my hands on the sabbath.

I will take the time today to study the Nehemiah passage and it's context. Thanks for recommending the scripture luvoftheword.

How you keep the sabbath is shown not only in the big things, like church attendance, worship, etc, but also by the little things you do. Preparing meals, gassing up the car, polishing the shoes, all on Saturday, in preparation for Sunday, may seem ritualistic to some, even to the children of those who do it, but it is very far from being a list of do's and don't's. That's how I grew up practicing the Lord's Day.

We would never go to a diner or restaurant, or go anywhere that required paying out money. It seemed to us like rules, but my parents always made sure to tell us that it was not rules, but keeping the Lord's Day holy, special, and separate. It was not that we weren't free to do as we pleased; it was that we were free to do as we ought.

Back then stores weren't open on Sunday. Corner stores were, but the downtown was deserted. Now it's like any weekday, and busier than a weekday. In fact, the times in which a working man can take the time to go to a store has almost been relegated to Sundays, as Friday evenings and Saturdays are now used by the stores to prepare for Sundays, and working hours now include all of Saturday.

It seems that what happened in Nehemiah's day has happened here as well. The goods are not taken into the holy city on the Sabbath, but rather the trading of goods has infiltrated the Church in a different way. They have taken the Church into the world's city on the Lord's Day. We are given the freedom to do as we please, but are we as free to do as we ought?

Just a thought. :wr50:

I was looking for a good study on the the Sabbath day. I'm looking for something that doesn't just cover when the Sabbath day is or what things we shouldn't be doing, but also talks about what God wants us to do, why he wants us do those things, and really gets to the heart of the matter - why we would rather be doing something else then what God expects on the Sabbath.

Has anybody read Matthew's article called [u:130ef52d48]"The Lord's Day"[/u:130ef52d48]? I just started reading it, and it looks like it may cover those things.

Bob

[quote:fd23e2804a]
Has anybody read Matthew's article called "The Lord's Day"? I just started reading it, and it looks like it may cover those things.
[/quote:fd23e2804a]
Nope. But will read it now, thanks for linking it.

Fred really helped convince me about observing the Lord's Day. It is very refreshing. If it were "open" to work, or bartering or purchasing...I'd have to consider how to best spend my time: working on the lawn, or prayer and reading. I can read and pray in clear conscience knowing that the other 6 days I had were spent doing what they were intended for. If one didn't believe in observing the Lord's Day, he would logically have to consider it a waste of a day if he didn't do something "profitable" and make "use" of his time. We get things in order and typically have a roast on Sunday. We are also not afraid of cold cuts and even cereal if we didn't plan out our groceries that week very well!

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Craig]

[b:7acd9244e7]Craig wrote:[/b:7acd9244e7]
I can read and pray in clear conscience knowing that the other 6 days I had were spent doing what they were intended for. If one didn't believe in observing the Lord's Day, he would logically have to consider it a waste of a day if he didn't do something "profitable" and make "use" of his time. We get things in order and typically have a roast on Sunday.

I like the attitude you express. Instead of saying, "I can't do this or that, but I have to do this stuff instead", you say "I [b:7acd9244e7]can[/b:7acd9244e7] read and pray in clear conscience". Sounds like you have the right attitude. Its not something you have to do, its something that you want to do. Its an opportunity. That's how it should be.

It seems like in our society (and in my thinking at times) that somehow going to a one-hour service on Sunday "fulfills the requirements", and the rest of the time is up for grabs to do as we like (go to the beach, play golf, etc). I wonder where the idea came from that this is all God expects of us or wants for us? If I were a betting man, I'd bet it wasn't from the scriptures.

Bob

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by blhowes]

I am going to quote Matthew (from his paper):

"we ought to remember Nehemiah's rebuke in Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15-22. Buying and selling on the Lord's Day is prohibited. Buy gas on Saturday and be prepared for Sunday. Do your shopping through the week not the on the Lords' Day. Devote that Day to Him without the worldly distractions that are upon us through the entire week. Recall that Nehemiah was exceedingly indignant at the people's attitude in buying and selling, and he warned them that they would "lay hands" on them if they did not cease and desist the practice. How then should we act on the Sabbath Day before the Redeemer who bought us?"

We need to heed this.

[b:10fb61a5ff]Scott wrote:[/b:10fb61a5ff]
We need to heed this.

A couple of questions:

For those who do heed this and observe the Sabbath rest, I was just wondering how you occupy your time during your "free time" (when you're not at services) on Sunday?

If you have families, how much of that time is spent as a family vs individual time?

For those with children, what is expected of them on Sundays?

Do you consider the Sabbath day to go from 6am to 6pm or from midnight to midnight?

Would you consider it wrong to have a church picnic between Sunday services? The ones I've been to were a good time of fellowship, but many of the activities (softball, volleyball, etc) tended to be more fun than "God focused".

Just wondering,
Bob

[quote:d2c9eea936][i:d2c9eea936]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:d2c9eea936]
I am going to quote Matthew (from his paper):

"we ought to remember Nehemiah's rebuke in Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15-22. Buying and selling on the Lord's Day is prohibited. Buy gas on Saturday and be prepared for Sunday. Do your shopping through the week not the on the Lords' Day. Devote that Day to Him without the worldly distractions that are upon us through the entire week. Recall that Nehemiah was exceedingly indignant at the people's attitude in buying and selling, and he warned them that they would "lay hands" on them if they did not cease and desist the practice. How then should we act on the Sabbath Day before the Redeemer who bought us?"

We need to heed this. [/quote:d2c9eea936]

:amen: May God grant me forgivness for the ways that I have profaned his Day

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by BrianLanier]

Scott and I were talking about this just a while ago. For those who hold a strict view of the Sabbath, here's a scenario:

Elder Bob asks Matthew and his wife to go out and eat with him in order to interview them for membership. Matthew goes, knowing full well that it is wrong to go (Nehemiah texts and others helpfully understood) but he also knows that elder Bob holds Calvin's continental view, and does in fact subscribe to it knowingly (he was not just raised on it and knows the difference between the continental view and the WCF view). Matthew, hoping to win the fellow over to his view in time, does not reject his offer, but goes to lunch. During that lunch elder Bob asks Matthew what he thinks about the continental view of the Sabbath. Matthew says that he believes that view is "provably wrong" and that Calvin made a mistake in spiritualizing the 4th commandment, and inconsistently did not spiritualize the other commandments. He presses the fact that the Israelites saw that day as an actual day, and that Calvin and the Continental view, wrong supposes this on the Decalogue in any way. The subject is dropped.

Was Matthew imprudent to go with elder Bob to lunch in acquiescence when he told him that the continental view was wrong and his was right?

Should it be a violation of his conscience?

I believe that the 4th commandment stands. I would encourage maxdetail to read Gillifan, Edwards and Owen on the Sabbath and its change to the Lord's day as recorded in Hebrews 4 and other texts such as Matthew 25, Acts 2, etc.

In any case, in terms of prudent to win over a brother, do you think that it is lawful to acquiesce to a brother who doe snot necessarily understands the issues surrounding this issue in order to win them over?

In any case, I have decided to simply stand on the WCF and the Bible on this issue, and not violate the day for any reason, even to win a brother over to the truth. I suppose I should be more concerned not to violate the day, and rather see the church remain in ignorance until a more opportunte time to teach them, than to go out to lunch and have a disucssion with them on the subject. I had, in the past, done this a few times in certain circumstances with those less understanding (ignorant elders, old women who can't be hospitable in their home, ignorant laymen we just met in a new church, etc).

What are your thoughts?

Also, in our old Reformed Baptist Church, they woudl OFTEN have ice cream, cake, etc. on Sunday evenings for fellowship. Would serving, washing dishes, etc. be a violation of the day? (This is not a meal, but a snack...)

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by webmaster]

If it is okay to eat on the Sabbath (not buy food, but just eat in general), then I don't really see how serving ice cream to the brethren is anymore a work on the Sabbath than lifting your spoon to your mouth. I think it would be fine if the ice cream was purchased the day before or something.

I see nothing wrong with gathering together to eat as a congregation at church or at another's home. The early church did this alot. It's part of fellowship and I think would be considered more a work of mercy than our normal daily work. Remember, the Sabbath does not forbid any work at all. It is the kind of work which is regulated. Works of mercy are not only permitted but encouraged as part of our Sabbath worship.

But I would not go out to eat with Elder Bob. Instead, if he wanted an interview I would simply invite him over to my house rather than go out. Then the Sabbath is obeyed, fellowship maintained, and we are not endorsing the violating of that Sabbath by those restaraunt workers. If all Christians did this, then there would be far fewer businesses open on the Lord's Day because it would no longer be profitable. If he insists on going out to eat, then I would arrange the meal for another day in the week and let him know kindly and gently that we hold the Westminster view of the Sabbeth/Lord's Day to be the biblical view.

[quote:1877216fe2][i:1877216fe2]Originally posted by luvroftheWord[/i:1877216fe2]
Was Nehemiah being a Pharisee when he condemned the Jews for buying fish on the Sabbath? [/quote:1877216fe2]

No. The problem with the Pharisees was not that they encouraged or demanded obedience to God's law. The problem was that they believed that obedience to the law gave them standing before God.

I was struck by this when reading Matthew 23 for evening worship tonight. It contains the verse about the Pharisees tithing herbs. Read it slowly, you probably thought it said something else. (I did)

Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, [b:1877216fe2]without leaving the others undone.[/b:1877216fe2]

Christ does not set obedience to the law [u:1877216fe2]against[/u:1877216fe2] faith and mercy and justice. He simply shows the [i:1877216fe2]priority[/i:1877216fe2] of faith, mercy and justice. Not that he does not say it would have been better to have done mercy and justice and left undone the tithing. He said you ought to have done both.

[quote:c720402421][i:c720402421]Originally posted by Craig[/i:c720402421]
[quote:c720402421]
Has anybody read Matthew's article called "The Lord's Day"? I just started reading it, and it looks like it may cover those things.
[/quote:c720402421]
Nope. But will read it now, thanks for linking it.

Fred really helped convince me about observing the Lord's Day. It is very refreshing. If it were "open" to work, or bartering or purchasing...I'd have to consider how to best spend my time: working on the lawn, or prayer and reading. I can read and pray in clear conscience knowing that the other 6 days I had were spent doing what they were intended for. If one didn't believe in observing the Lord's Day, he would logically have to consider it a waste of a day if he didn't do something "profitable" and make "use" of his time. We get things in order and typically have a roast on Sunday. We are also not afraid of cold cuts and even cereal if we didn't plan out our groceries that week very well!

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Craig] [/quote:c720402421]

Craig,

Thanks for the kind words. But I can't take any credit. The Spirit had convicted me about it and I try and follow through on what I believe.

The key is (as has been said) having a proper heart and mind perspective. It is not about what I can't do, but what I can.

Here is a good example (maybe I've used it before). How would your wives feel (or husbands, girlfriends, etc. as applicable) if you spent your anniversary or their birthday doing homework or catching up on some work DURING a special meal that you had arranged. Now imagine how they would feel if they asked why you were doing that and you said, "well, I could have done it yesterday, but I didn't feel like it" or "I could do it tomorrow, but then I'd have to take time out of my schedule."

[quote:eb5b26b957][i:eb5b26b957]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:eb5b26b957]
Scott and I were talking about this just a while ago. For those who hold a strict view of the Sabbath, here's a scenario:

Elder Bob asks Matthew and his wife to go out and eat with him in order to interview them for membership. Matthew goes, knowing full well that it is wrong to go (Nehemiah texts and others helpfully understood) but he also knows that elder Bob holds Calvin's continental view, and does in fact subscribe to it knowingly (he was not just raised on it and knows the difference between the continental view and the WCF view). Matthew, hoping to win the fellow over to his view in time, does not reject his offer, but goes to lunch. During that lunch elder Bob asks Matthew what he thinks about the continental view of the Sabbath. Matthew says that he believes that view is "provably wrong" and that Calvin made a mistake in spiritualizing the 4th commandment, and inconsistently did not spiritualize the other commandments. He presses the fact that the Israelites saw that day as an actual day, and that Calvin and the Continental view, wrong supposes this on the Decalogue in any way. The subject is dropped.

Was Matthew imprudent to go with elder Bob to lunch in acquiescence when he told him that the continental view was wrong and his was right?

Should it be a violation of his conscience?

I believe that the 4th commandment stands. I would encourage maxdetail to read Gillifan, Edwards and Owen on the Sabbath and its change to the Lord's day as recorded in Hebrews 4 and other texts such as Matthew 25, Acts 2, etc.

In any case, in terms of prudent to win over a brother, do you think that it is lawful to acquiesce to a brother who doe snot necessarily understands the issues surrounding this issue in order to win them over?

In any case, I have decided to simply stand on the WCF and the Bible on this issue, and not violate the day for any reason, even to win a brother over to the truth. I suppose I should be more concerned not to violate the day, and rather see the church remain in ignorance until a more opportunte time to teach them, than to go out to lunch and have a disucssion with them on the subject. I had, in the past, done this a few times in certain circumstances with those less understanding (ignorant elders, old women who can't be hospitable in their home, ignorant laymen we just met in a new church, etc).

What are your thoughts?

Also, in our old Reformed Baptist Church, they woudl OFTEN have ice cream, cake, etc. on Sunday evenings for fellowship. Would serving, washing dishes, etc. be a violation of the day? (This is not a meal, but a snack...)

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by webmaster] [/quote:eb5b26b957]

Short version -

Wouldn't go out to eat. The elder is wrong to invite you, even from a "Continental" perspective. He is encouraging you to go against your conscience even if he had the liberty (which he doesn't).

Fellowship food, lunches, dinners, snacks etc. are all fine. The key here is not to see how little we can move before it becomes work, but to avoid setting our minds on worldly things. Eating is a work necessity - how is serving ice cream at church any different from serving a sandwich at home??

[quote:05b4aac6ca]
Thanks for the kind words. But I can't take any credit.
[/quote:05b4aac6ca]
I wouldn't think of giving you the credit, Fred :D

You gave me the right Scripture verse to look up.

Scott . . .

Where can I find out more about this "lie"? I hold to the Sabbath as the Catechism guides but I have believed that Calvin did this for quite some time now. It has been brought up in arguments and I have not defended him. :banghead:

I agree with Fred and Patrick. Such will forever be the case. I have done this 5 times I can count in the past with those ignorant of both their own view and my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back