Going To Non-Sabbatarian Friends' Houses On The Sabbath

erickinho1bra

Puritan Board Freshman
Would you go to a non-sabbatarian friend's house on the Sabbath if they invited you?
If not, why not?
If so, how would you keep an attitude of worship at someone else's house seeing that you do not run that house?

Would you go to a non-sabbatarian friend's house on the Sabbath if they invited you?
If not, why not?
If so, how would you keep an attitude of worship at someone else's house seeing that you do not run that house?
Any Non-Sabbatarian friend I have knows my stance and is happy to adjust accordingly. If they weren't, I wouldn't go simply because I wouldn't be able to honor the Lord's Holy Day.

If not, why not?
Is the invitation specific? That would make a difference.

An invitation to participate in private or public worship would at least merit some consideration, whereas an invitation to watch the super bowl would not.

An invitation to help with an immediate felt need would also have to be considered.

Is the invitation specific? That would make a difference.

An invitation to participate in private or public worship would at least merit some consideration, whereas an invitation to watch the super bowl would not.

An invitation to help with an immediate felt need would also have to be considered.
It is specific. The couple invited just my wife and me. We aren’t being invited to participate in family worship but just for fellowship. We’ll still do our own family worship when we get home later that day before we put our kids to sleep.

Fostering communication and fellowship can be beneficial, particularly in a larger church where folks can be lost or forgotten. It can be an important link in getting pastoral care to those that need it.

The couple invited just my wife and me. We aren’t being invited to participate in family worship but just for fellowship. We’ll still do our own family worship when we get home later that day before we put our kids to sleep.
Absolutely. Sounds like a great thing to do!

What do you mean by "an attitude of worship"? You're not worshipping in the spaces between the regulated services and family devotions--you're eating, and talking, and driving, etc. Do you have a different attitude while driving to church than you do driving to work on Monday? Do you eat breakfast differently on six days than on the seventh? What attitude do you have on other days, if so? Do you think you should?

Unless you can properly keep the Sabbath while visiting them--engaging in the same spiritual conversation and fellowship that you would with others--I would not do this. If you really want to catch up, you can meet on another day of the week.

One technique that can help even non-Sabbatarians think about holy things is to sit down and have a sermon review. Have everyone sit down and ask each person to remember a point or two from the worship service (and especially the sermon). It can help stir spiritual conversation and be a starting point for it.

It is likely that the non-Sabbatarian is not used to having a spiritual frame of mind, thinking about heavenly things, or speaking about them. In my experience, it is only the training that Sabbath-keeping provides that tends to cause people to be that way. It isn't always the case, but it often is. If this is the case, you will have to take more leadership and initiative to try to keep things focused on heavenly things--it will be a ministry opportunity more so than a visit of equals. If these things are the case, and you aren't up for it, I wouldn't go.

It would be important to communicate to the non-Sabbatarian friend that you keep the Sabbath because it is a delight and commanded by God and that is how you will keep it if you visit with them. You can spin it in a positive way if you do go: "Would you like to give Sabbath keeping a try while I'm there? We try to keep conversation heavenly minded? Maybe we'll sing some psalms or pray together?"

Back