Golden Compass & Daemons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I was thinking of going to see the Golden Compass (possibly with kids). I briefly read/flicked through one of the books (to accompany the film) in the supermarket. It seemed to suggest that part of the evil plot was to seperate children from their daemons. Has anyone been to see the film? It did seem to suggest some sort of animal "familiar". Granted it was a brief picture based overview of the film but I wont be taking the kids to see it until I know more (and have checked the film certificate).

I was thinking of going to see the Golden Compass (possibly with kids). I briefly read/flicked through one of the books (to accompany the film) in the supermarket. It seemed to suggest that part of the evil plot was to seperate children from their daemons. Has anyone been to see the film? It did seem to suggest some sort of animal "familiar". Granted it was a brief picture based overview of the film but I wont be taking the kids to see it until I know more (and have checked the film certificate).

From what I've read the entire plot seeks to undermine organized religion. "Daemons" probably represent religion in general as the writer sees it. At the end of the trilogy the children kill god.

If i am not mistaken the Church (magesterium) kidnaps children and seeks to remove their daemon from them.
The daemon is supposed to be a physical representation of the individual's soul.

My wife and I went to see this movie the other day. It was amazingly well-done and extremely beautiful: a real visual feast, and a tour-de-force on the acting. It leaves you rather frustrated that they can do this so well, and yet they botched the Lord of the Rings horribly, and the Harry Potter movies are a nauseous joke compared to the books.

This is one of the movies I will look forward to watching again from time to time.

My wife and I went to see this movie the other day. It was amazingly well-done and extremely beautiful: a real visual feast, and a tour-de-force on the acting. It leaves you rather frustrated that they can do this so well, and yet they botched the Lord of the Rings horribly, and the Harry Potter movies are a nauseous joke compared to the books.

This is one of the movies I will look forward to watching again from time to time.
Don't expect sequels, the first one was a royal flop and financial disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back