Good American Seminaries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PresbyDane

Puritanboard Doctor
I have been talking with Tim Phillips...
And to make it short I would like some recommendations on American Seminaries, were it is inexpensive and that might have scholarships for forreign students and were you could bring a wife and 3 month old son.

The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary! If you wanted it cheap you'd have to become Southern Baptist and work in a Southern Baptist church for a time. I'd have absolutely no problem with that!;)

Are you sure you want me as a Baptist, and even a southern being from the north cap of the world and on the other side of it?

Martin, you haven't told us anything about denominational preferences and such. I'm guessing Lutheran, maybe?

If you do come to SBTS (btw it is expensive for non-Southern Baptists), you can come and be a part of our church! I live in Louisville, just a few miles from the seminary!!!

Southern Baptist churches aren't only in the south (believe it or not).

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 06:44:47 EST-----

Seriously though, unless you decided to take the Credo position some of the conservative presbyterian seminaries would probably be best.

I am not sure what denomination...
I know this :eek: is your face now, but
Being reformed in Denmark is easy, there is only me and a couple of friends, so we are it.
Therefor I have not have to find out what denomination I would actually fit in under.
Is there a test I can take :lol:

I am not sure what denomination...
I know this :eek: is your face now, but
Being reformed in Denmark is easy, there is only me and a couple of friends, so we are it.
Therefor I have not have to find out what denomination I would actually fit in under.
Is there a test I can take :lol:

Well, do you baptize infants of believing parents? If so the presbyterian seminaries would be best. If you baptize only professing believers then SBTS would be good. You can do either no matter which you believe but it's usually cheaper if you are part of the denomination the seminary is. Regardless, do not go to a Lutheran seminary. Though Luther agreed with much of what reformed doctrine believes, modern Lutherans do not.

1. Reformed Theological Seminary
2. Westminster Theological Seminary
3. Covenant Theological Seminary

Westminster West in San Diego is probably the crown jewel of modern American Christian academia and pastoral preparation at least intellectually, it is awfully expensive and demanding to apply for admission however. Your professors would be men such as Michael Horton, Michael Godfrey and visiting professors like RC Sproul and Sinclair Ferguson stop by from time to time.

RTS is throughout the American South and you can learn quality exegesis and counseling from all of them.

Westminster Dallas, recently renamed Reformed Seminary is a hidden treasure in many respects. A smaller more intimate seminary located in Dallas Texas and with professors like Dr. John Hannah who double dips as the lone Reformed prof at Dallas Theological Seminary, you will be under sound tutelage and in a more affordable city than San Diego or Philadelphia.

Even the before mention DTS is a good seminary though not explicitly Reformed, you will encounter reformed brethren and of course the outstanding Dr. Hannah, many Presbyterian pastors have come out of DTS due to that man's influence.

In some ways being in a non Reformed setting is a great sharpener for your faith as it allows you to peer into first hand accounts of what the opposition and liberal theology is arguing and what perspectives and ideas they're spouting, it only prepares you to lovingly rebuke with greater understanding.

In some ways being in a non Reformed setting is a great sharpener for your faith as it allows you to peer into first hand accounts of what the opposition and liberal theology is arguing and what perspectives and ideas they're spouting, it only prepares you to lovingly rebuke with greater understanding.

I'm guessing living in Denmark also does that for ya! :2cents:

:amen:

That's just pagan, I'm talking about dealing with professing believers and there inconsistencies with scripture.

-----Added 2/19/2009 at 07:59:08 EST-----

RTS is throughout the American South and you can learn quality exegesis and counseling from all of them.

Not to derail this topic, but doesn't RTS (at least the Jackson branch) teach an integrationist (i.e., using secular psychology) method of counseling?
I don't know its detail, what's wrong with learning secular psychology however? It often uses appropriate methodology to diagnose symptoms but it incorrectly labels the symptoms as disease, with a correct understanding of the human condition you could have the best of both disciplines.:2cents: At the very least you'll know how to counter the mindframe of the world's clinical priests.

I don't know its detail, what's wrong with learning secular psychology however? It often uses appropriate methodology to diagnose symptoms but it incorrectly labels the symptoms a disease, with a correct understanding of the human condition you could have the best of both disciplines.:2cents:

I'm not sure I would agree that secular psychology uses appropriate methodology.

As I said, I don't want to derail. I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect seminary, as they all can have warts. The seminary I went to is also integrationist to some degree in some (but not all) classes. I would just be cautious about specifically recommending the counseling program, that is all. Otherwise, I have not problems with RTS. I was very close to attending myself!

Martin, have you changed your mind about TNARS?

In no way, Tim was selling an Idea and that made me want to hear peoples opinion about seminar in America

ok...just checking

Not trying to steal him away, Larry! Because Denmark has a state church, he had some concerns that a distance learning seminary might be frowned upon, so we were discussing alternatives. But then I believe he said that it was any Reformed seminary that wouldn't pass muster, so...

No worries.
I was just wanted to make sure i wasn't kept out of the loop.

In no way, Tim was selling an Idea and that made me want to hear peoples opinion about seminar in America

ok...just checking

Not trying to steal him away, Larry! Because Denmark has a state church, he had some concerns that a distance learning seminary might be frowned upon, so we were discussing alternatives. But then I believe he said that it was any Reformed seminary that wouldn't pass muster, so...

Martin,

If you're considering moving to America, you should aim for the best you can get. Of the confessionally Reformed seminaries, I'd recommend:

1. Westminster Seminary California in Escondido
2. Covenant Seminary, the PCA's denominational school in St. Louis, Missouri
3. Westminster Seminary
4. Reformed Theological Seminary

If you are already quite confident in where you stand confessionally, I'll also put Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary on the list at #5. I think it's the best of the broadly evangelical schools and has many Reformed faculty members and good OPC/PCA churches nearby for support.

Consider these two general principles, though they may make me a pariah in this thread. First, no seminary is perfect. There are some doctrinal rumblings going on at two of the above four confessional schools that I hope will be worked out before long. People of various views could find some reason to criticize any of the above four schools. Regardless, they offer a good education. Second, stick with an accredited school. You might only want personal edification now, but God may take you down another path later that requires a school that has recognized accreditation. While accreditation isn't a guarantee of highest quality, it's certainly a helpful indicator.

Last edited:
Martin - if you do decide to study here in the US - consider RTS in Jackson - I have some contacts and resources that could be of benefit.

You know I support your ministry in DK :) - let me know :)

If I were going to seminary in the US again, it would be either

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary,

or

Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary.

Martin -

If you are hoping to minister within a Lutheran context, then in my opinion, the "best" you can hope for is to be a confessional, theologically conservative Lutheran. In that case, given the Lutheran ethos, you should go to a Lutheran school. And the one that I'd recommend would be Concordia in St. Louis. Going there would also enable you to perhaps take some coursework at Covenant and so you'd get a Reformed perspective to round out your education.

If you're hoping for a Reformed ministry context, in the above posts you've been given some good options.

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary...and that is my unbiased opinion. ;)

Martin,

I know this is gonna sound biased but I don't think you can beat Redeemer Seminary Main Page you'll have Dr. John Hannnah for Church History and Dr. Sinclair Ferguson teaching most of your Systematic Theology courses. Cost of living in the Dallas area is cheaper than San Diego (WS California) and the Philadelphia area (WTS), reluctant to comment on cost of living in St. Louis (covenant) or any of the cities with RTS campuses.

A recommendation I was given when picking a seminary is get the catalogs from prospective seminaries and place their curriculum side by side. This way you can see how the curriculum from one seminary matches up with other seminaries.

If you are not married to the idea of coming to the United States you might check out Highland Theological College or if you speak either French or German then Free Faculty of Reformed Theology in Aix-en-Provence, France or Martin Bucer Seminary in Berlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back