Good American Seminaries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Westminster Dallas, recently renamed Reformed Seminary is a hidden treasure in many respects. A smaller more intimate seminary located in Dallas Texas and with professors like Dr. John Hannah who double dips as the lone Reformed prof at Dallas Theological Seminary, you will be under sound tutelage and in a more affordable city than San Diego or Philadelphia.

Even the before mention DTS is a good seminary though not explicitly Reformed, you will encounter reformed brethren and of course the outstanding Dr. Hannah, many Presbyterian pastors have come out of DTS due to that man's influence.

It's Redeemer, not Reformed, in Dallas.

And Dr. Hannah teaches some classes there. So there is no need to a Dispensational seminary to benefit from his teaching.

As for DTS, folks have been saying 'Its changing' for at least 15 years, but it still has a long, way to go. There are much better choices if one wants Reformed; it is at the top of the class if one wants Dispensationalism.

I know Greenville (Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary) has been mentioned, but I would just like to add that this seminary has a real heart for spreading the Gospel and I know personally how they have helped international students - including Europeans. In fact several of their recent graduates have gone or returned as missionaries to help bolster or pioneer new European Reformed Presbyterian denominations in England, Albania, Italy, Austria and Germany to name a few. Dr. Pipa (the president of the seminary) was also recently in the former Yugoslavia encouraging the groups there. Honestly, financially, they are very affordable (and Greenville is one of the cheapest areas to live in the USA) and there are numerous solid churches around there that will help students. Plus, they have a good distance program as well. They are solid, confessional and conservative. As a Reformed Baptist, I still think it is one of the best options out there.

However, as a Reformed Baptist I would probably recommend the Midwest Center for Theological Studies first within my own Association). It has the advantage of a partnership with the Southern Seminary that Manley Beasley suggested that might help you with accreditation if that were an issue for you. The courses are very reasonable and it is solidly based in a confessional church. There is also the ARBCA sponsored Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies within Westminster West (WTS), but, financially that is the most expensive options because of the cost of living and tuition in Escondido.

Hope that helps Martin. May the Lord direct your paths for His name's sake.

Hi,

This is my first post on PB, but I thought I might give my input since I have studied at two of the seminaries mentioned.

I was at Gordon Conwell and I would agree that it is more broadly evangelical but has some great reformed professors. (Dr. Richard Lints being my favorite) I was there on again off again for about 4 years. (part time)

Currently I'm finishing up my degree at Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Pittsburgh. While this school is small and may not offer the big names that Westminster West, RTS, and Covenant offer in terms of faculty, I love it! The faculty love the students and offer solid reformed teaching.

And one other thing you mentioned was cost. I have found it to be very affordable, both in terms of tuition and cost of living. (one of the reasons I chose it over the other seminaries mentioned) While there is nobody from Denmark, they do have students currently from Japan, Korea, and Africa (Kenya).

Lord Bless
- Rob Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back