Good Books on the Sabbath and Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenzedek

Puritan Board Junior
I am looking for books and articles that talk about what the Bible has to say about the switch from the seventh day sabbath to the eighth day Lord's day. My difficulty with this subject is that the Bible appears to be very vague on this subject (Acts, as you know, doesn't just come out and say it) while people in the reformed community take very "un-vague" positions on the matter. I believe it is important to follow in the steps of others who have walked with God longer than I. This is what I have done until now. But I would now like to develop some personal conviction on this matter. Does anyone know where to find these books and articles? It would be nice to find a line by line exegetical presentation on this subject that deals with the hard questions that everyone must be asking--I know I can't be the only one asking these. Any suggestions, quotes, and advice is welcome. I just don't think Carson's From Sabbath to Lord's Day should have the last say on this matter. Please help.

Jonathan Edwards has a very good treatment of this subject in his 2 volume set published by Banner of Truth. He gives compelling reasons for the change of the Sabbath from the last day to the first day.

This is also discussed in The Westminster Confession of Faith for Study Classes, GI Williamson, commentary and questions on Chapter XXI, "Of Religious Worship and the Sabbath Day."

Another one I'd suggest is Call The Sabbath A Delight by Walter Chantry published by Banner of Truth. I read it recently and it certainly was edifying.

Chantry, Walter. Call the Sabbath a Delight. The Banner of Truth Trust: Edinburgh. 1991.
Dennison Jr., James T. The Market Day of the Soul: The Puritan Doctrine of the Sabbath in England, 1532-1700. University Press of America, Inc.: Lanham, MD. 1983.
Knecht, Glen. The Day God Made. The Banner of Truth Trust: Edinburgh. 2003.
Pipa, Joseph A. The Lord’s Day. Christian Focus: Fearn, Scotland. 2001.
Ray, Bruce A. Celebrating the Sabbath: Finding Rest in a Restless World. P & R Publishing: Phillipsburg, NJ. 2000.

For modern treatments, Dennison and Pipa are the two most helpful. Edwards is also good, and so is John Owen in the first volumes of his Hebrews commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back