Good Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great buy! I bought it for the full price and its completely worth it. Its one of the best commentaries on Isaiah in my opinion. You won't regret it.:banana::banana::banana:

For that price---buy two sets and send me one! :lol:

[kidding-- I have it already. I think it was closer to $50.00 when I got it several years ago].

Young is an excellent commentary.

The same commentary, apparently the 1992 version, is selling for $59.00 at Amazon. This sounds like a great deal...thanks a lot, now I have to buy it :book2:

I agree with Fred. If you don't mind the paperback (which I despise for commentaries: all commentaries ought to be hardback), it is a good deal. Young is well worth having. Ironically, I just obtained the full hard-back set second-hand.

Edward J. Young (1907-1968). I think he spent most of his career working up to the writing of this commentary. Only Volume 1 was published in his lifetime, I believe. He's amil - but, hey, nobody's perfect! :D

I also have purchased that set and can't wait to receive it. Nice to know it is a good purchase.

I also purchased Expository thoughts on the Gospels by I think J. Ryle. I havent heard about him does any one know if that is a good purchase.

I also got Scourby from CBD for some ridiculously low price and saw the paperback edition of Young from them. EXCELLENT set. Ironically, I just got rid of mine in favor of the digital version.

I bought Young, along with the KJV on CD, Alexander Scourby (sp?), narrator.

Ivan,

The funniest thing is that, when I looked, the whole bible by Scourby, KJV is $15 on MP3 CD, while the N.T. is $24 on audio CD. Is there really a difference, and which version did you get?

Cheers,

Adam

Ivan,

The funniest thing is that, when I looked, the whole bible by Scourby, KJV is $15 on MP3 CD, while the N.T. is $24 on audio CD. Is there really a difference, and which version did you get?

Cheers,

Adam

The difference is that audio cd takes up about twenty times as many cd's but it can play on a normal cd player, you need a computer or a fancy cd player to play an mp3 cd.

I do find the audio quality of Scourby's recordings slightly inferior to modern versions which grates with me.

The Book of Isaiah, 3 Volumes by Edward J. Young

CBD has it for $19.99:

The Book of Isaiah, 3 Volumes - By: Edward J. Young - Christianbook.com

Good purchase? It has a lot of good reviews.

That's what I paid for my copy, from the same place too. It's the lowest price I'd seen, and I figured I've spent 20 bucks on worse. I haven't delved into it much yet, but, at least I know that I now have a pretty thorough copy of a commentary on Isaiah to compare with the other commentaries I have on the same book. I would vote "yes".

Ivan,

Cheers,

Adam

The difference is that audio cd takes up about twenty times as many cd's but it can play on a normal cd player, you need a computer or a fancy cd player to play an mp3 cd.

And my car's CD player will only play the audio. Now my wife's car will play the mp3 CDs, but she isn't going to let me have her car!! :lol:

I also have purchased that set and can't wait to receive it. Nice to know it is a good purchase.

I also purchased Expository thoughts on the Gospels by I think J. Ryle. I havent heard about him does any one know if that is a good purchase.

I believe you will enjoy and profit from Ryle, as generations of readers have before. Spurgeon said that he prized those volumes.

Spurgeon said that he prized those volumes.

And that's why I bought Ryle about a year ago.

Young on Isaiah??? Come'on Bubba, get with it. Young just talks about a lot of dry as dust theology and Hebrew stuff. Try out a Serendipity Bible Study where you can "reflect" upon when you last felt like a "bruised reed" or a "smouldering wick" and how God can help you feel less "bruised" or "smoulderingly" (sic) in your faith journey. Then, move on to Isaiah 40 and ask the group to share how they best receive "comfort" and how other members of the small group could "comfort" them now. Now THAT is "Bible" study! :rofl:

Ryle (1816-1900) was the first Anglican bishop of Liverpool (no, the Beatles were not born yet). His Expository Thoughts on the Gospels is an excellent purchase. Ryle was a true scholar, but wore his scholarship lightly in this set. You have spent your money wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back