Good Commentaries on Romans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay7926

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm about to do an in-depth study of the book of Romans for the next few weeks (or months). Can anyone recommend any good commentaries or resources?

Thanks in advance!

I'm about to do an in-depth study of the book of Romans for the next few weeks (or months). Can anyone recommend any good commentaries or resources?

Thanks in advance!

There are very many good ones on Romans but I find that John Murray's is my "go to book" on Romans.

Henry, for really in-depth you could get Martyn Lloyd-Jones 13 or so volume set, which I've been reading for years and can highly recommend. They are sermons he preached at his church in London over a ten year or so period and edited after he "retired". Sermons by the great preachers of the past are my favorite commentaries, in general. William S. Plumer wrote a one volume Commentary on Romans 150 or so years ago. I've only read parts of it, but can recommend his writings in general (which are very few). He is experimental and very practical. His commentary is 646 pages, so you can decide how in-depth he could be in that much space.

I would go with Moo, in the New International Version Application Commentary; Haldane, in the Geneva series, and Boice's 4 volumes. Also, look up S. Lewis Johnson's lectures at Believer's Chapel.

Moo (probably best of the moderns)
Schreiner (close runner up among recent commentators)
Murray (thoroughly Reformed and no slouch as a scholar)
Haldane (great classic exposition)
Calvin (his first commentary written after the first edition of the Institutes)
Cranfield (either the ICC or the one voume less technical one)
Hendrisksen (not his best work, he was dying of cancer at the time of writing but soldiered on anyhow)

If our esteemed Greenbaggins ever finishes his doctoral work and happens to write on Romans, I would buy it in an instant!

Kregel prints William Swan Plumer on Romans. A paperback, but still very much worth having. After each discourse he has doctrinal, practical, and homiletical remarks.

Hard to beat John Murray--very good.

For us low-brows out there, there is Poole's complete commentary in three volumes. I always find it to be enough to bring clarity to the passge, and it even gets into the Greek here and there.

Last edited:
Brother Henry,

In addition to those mentioned, I would recommend Dr. Martyn-Lloyd Jones series for a more pastoral commentary (they are based on his preaching). I do not agree with his view on Romans 7, but, otherwise they are a very helpful resource. I imagine your pastor or church library would have a copy - it is a 14 volume series.

Blessings

Charles Hodge is not hard to get a hold of, and is always worth consulting.

Am I correctly remembering that the Murray commentary was once in the NICNT series but has since been replaced? If so, who is the author of the current Romans volume in that series?

Am I correctly remembering that the Murray commentary was once in the NICNT series but has since been replaced? If so, who is the author of the current Romans volume in that series?

Moo is the NICNT author. Probably the best modern commentary on Romans.

Anyone read Dr. Sproul's commentary?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-God-R-C-Sproul/dp/1857924908"]Amazon.com: Gospel Of God: Romans (9781857924909): R. C. Sproul: Books[/ame]

Thoughts?

I have Sproul on my computer but have not had a chance to use it yet. He is good on everything he writes. However, it would be tough to top Moo, Murray, et. al.

AVOID Kasemann and Barth. I would also skip Dunn (too NPP for my taste). Barth is important, not as a commentary on Romans, but as an historical document of the beginning of a rebellion against liberalism and the rise of neo-orthodoxy.

Has the Murray commentary been republished apart from the NICNT series?

Yes. Mine is from Eerdman's and is in a similar "style" to my Eerdman's copy of the Institutes.

0802843417m.jpg

Agree with others on the excellence of Murray, Hendriksen, Calvin, Henry, and Poole. I've read that Murray used to be the standard until Moo. Some that prefer Moo point out they like everything except his work on Romans 7.

Rich,

I agree with your post about Henriksen/Kistemaker.

For those using other formats . . .

WordSearch has it for $139.95 (yikes!)
eSword has it for $59.99 (wow!)

CBD has the Libronix version for $85.99 and the print version for $99.99.
All Products : kistemaker - Christianbook.com Search

I would encourage those who desire a good Reformed commentary on the NT to begin with Hendriksen/Kistemaker. It is worth $60 to have it in eSword at least. You can hardly find a better modern commentary for $60 that covers the entire NT, 12 large volumes in the print version.

I would second Lloyd-Jones, Moo, Murray, Haldine and Hodge. Lloyd Jones is 14 volumes but the Doctor was a great expository preacher and contributed much to the growth of Reformed theology. One is greatly blessed by his works.

I think it's a tribute to Murray's commentary that, although his commentary was replaced by Moo in the series, Eerdmans has elected to keep Murray in print, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back