Good Commentaries on the Gospel of Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.

semperreformata

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking for really good commentaries for the book of Matthew. Any suggestions and yes I do prefer the printed versions not the kindle ones. :D

I'm preaching through Matthew right now, and here are the top-tier commentaries: D.A. Carson (now in a revised edition!), Knox Chamblin, R.T. France, Dale Bruner, Davies/Allison, Morris, J.C. Ryle, Spurgeon, Osborne (though be careful, he's an Arminian), Michael Wilkins and Dan Doriani. If you have all of those, you can go to the next tier, which would include Hagner, Garland, Blomberg, Nolland, Turner, Witherington, Plummer, Boice, Hendrikseon, Lenski, Calvin, and Luz. Third-tier would include Hare, Gundry, Barclay, Allen, Albright/Mann, and Tasker.

Rev Keister, your commentary recommendations are invaluable. Ever since I came across your posting of recommendations for every book of the bible, I reference it anytime I am need of a new commentary. Yesterday we began 1 Peter in Sunday school and my pastor asked me to teach part of it. One of my first tasks was to go look up your recommendations for 1 Peter commentaries which I will be ordering today. Thank you sir for all your hard work.

Rev Keister, your commentary recommendations are invaluable. Ever since I came across your posting of recommendations for every book of the bible, I reference it anytime I am need of a new commentary. Yesterday we began 1 Peter in Sunday school and my pastor asked me to teach part of it. One of my first tasks was to go look up your recommendations for 1 Peter commentaries which I will be ordering today. Thank you sir for all your hard work.

You are very kind. I'm glad it is of help. And thanks also for reminding me: I have to go update it now.

I'm not nearly as scholarly or well-read as many folks on the board, but I will say that I've found D.A. Carson on Matthew tremendously helpful. For me, it compares favorably to just about any commentary I have on any book.

For the working pastor, Carson (solid evangelical) and Bruner (more mainline but VERY creative and insightful on the theological meaning of the text) are the two greatest time savers. My old friend, Bob Gundry wrote one of the most original works on the Gospel, but it will bog you down with its relentless redaction criticism (e.g., the magi are merely a gentilization of Luke's shepherd motif). David Turner is helpful in both his larger (BECT) and smaller commentaries (CBC). And, I always read Hendriksen and Boice. Blomberg to Hagner is a personal preference (partly prejudice against the WBC set). Morris is always "good," but I would not rate him as highly on this Gospel as Lane does (most respectfully, Obi Wan Keister).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back