Good Commentary on Luke for a Layman

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

I’m looking to get a commentary on the book of Luke to study while my pastor preaches through the book.

I don’t want anything overly technical; I’d much prefer something with more application.

Does anyone have experience with Kent Hughes’ volume from the Preaching The Word series?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Leon Morris in the Tyndale series.

JC Ryle.
From what I’ve seen, Morris’ is pretty sparse. Not what I’m looking for.

And Ryle is decent, but I’m looking for something different.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. Have you used these two very much?

I have them and I think they are a good combination for a layman looking for non technical commentary to supplement their pastor's sermons.

Stein is the next level up. An intermediate level commentary that is not technical.

Maybe Ryken is what you are looking for. I do not have this commentary, but I would like to.

William Hendriksen?
The Welwyn Commentaries from Evangelical Press are usually about the level you're after I think.

Matthew Henry is an excellent devotional commentary rich in practical application. I am nearing the end of a multi-year exposition of Luke in our church and Matthew Henry has been a weekly companion. I fear sometimes he is so well known, that he is undervalued and overlooked. But that is a sad mistake. It was said that Bullinger was the "common pastor" of the Reformation because his popular and pastoral writings were in every protestant home. I think the same thing can be said of Matthew Henry. He writes to the pew-sitter and is an eaxample of preaching not in the "enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power" (1 Cor. 2:4).

Last edited:
The Pillars of the New Testament series has good volumes though I haven't looked at Luke.

Here's another thought: why don't you work out ahead by a few weeks. Then you can test your own conclusions by the work of your pastor. I've greatly benefited when I've done this both by studying the scriptures and by developing some interpretive muscles.

This question of a good commentary on Luke came up awhile back and Phillip Ryken's commentary was highly recommended, along with Bock. I went with Ryken and was a bit disappointed at first. I am a laymen but with a very basic knowledge of Greek I like a bit of technical footnoting and there isn't any in Ryken.

It is in a very narrative style, unlike any commentary I've read and at first I was a bit put off by that. As I read on I became thoroughly engrossed in it, and by the time I got to his treatment of Mary's probable feelings, being betrothed, impregnated by the Holy Ghost, I was 'blown away.'

Reading the OP I think it would be hard to beat in what you're looking for.

I’m looking to get a commentary on the book of Luke to study while my pastor preaches through the book.

I don’t want anything overly technical; I’d much prefer something with more application.

Does anyone have experience with Kent Hughes’ volume from the Preaching The Word series?

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Commentaries for the synoptic gospels tend not to "dig down deep" academically as much as they do for John and the Epistles. Ryken and Bock and Henry are great commentaries, but you get what you get.

I would welcome recommendations of commentaries that get extremely academic for the synoptic gospels....

Since it was compiled in 2008, it is somewhat dated. But Lane Keister, an OPC pastor and PB member (at least in the past) posted a helpful Commentary Guide for Laymen. It includes the aforementioned Luke commentary by Bock (NIVAC). The links are to WTS Books, and regrettably it appears that all of them are now broken. But you can hover over the link and usually figure out what he's referring to.

Besides Bock, he recommended Sproul and Hughes on Luke.

https://greenbaggins.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/a-laymans-commentary-guide/

I'm completing my Ph.D. in Lukan Theology. Unlike Acts, I have a difficult time distinguishing the top 3 Luke commentaries.

I'd say pick up a few cheap somewhere if they aren't technical (as you express) then to read 3-4 wouldn't be difficult, especially since your pastor will move through one pericope at a time at most I assume.

I'd say check out GB Caird's small Pelican Commentary on Luke and Craig Evans Understanding the New Testament Commentary on Luke. Both could be picked up cheap on eBay.

Thanks all.

Regarding Ryken, cheapest I can find it in Canada is $45 for the ebook.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
We are preaching through Luke, and I purchased Morris, Ryken, and Hughes (along with older digital volumes). I honestly haven't been super impressed with Hughes. Sometimes I don't really consult it anymore. It's not bad, it just ends up being pretty watered-down. I feel like sometimes he ends up generalizing texts and jumping to application instead of really dealing with the text. I don't have anything against application! I need that. But I just want the application to be rooted in what the text is really about.

Morris is a good short volume to consult. But I've been most impressed with Ryken. A lot of depth but not technical etc. Expositional but also accessible.

Last edited:
We are preaching through Luke, and I purchased Morris, Ryken, and Hughes (along with older digital volumes). I honestly haven't been super impressed with Hughes. Sometimes I don't really consult it anymore. It's not bad, it just ends up being pretty watered-down. I feel like sometimes he ends up generalizing texts and jumping to application instead of really dealing with the text. I don't have anything against application! I need that. But I just want the application to be rooted in what the text is really about.

Morris is a good short volume to consult. But I've been most impressed with Ryken. A lot of depth but not technical etc. Expositional but also accessible.
From whence did you purchase Ryken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back