Good one Volume Commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas

Puritan Board Doctor
I have a number of good "sets" of commentaries from a Reformed perspective....but now as I move into a Presbyterian setting and esp. as my wife wants to earn more......I wanted to see if you good PB Brethren might know of or reccomend a one volume commentary from a Reformed perspective. I would prefer something more modern.....but that is not a huge issue....so.....any such animal my friends?:coffee:

Last edited:
I don't think there are any. However, there is the Reformation Study Bible, which is Reformed. Great place to start. What I would do is go with fairly short commentaries on individual books (yes, I know, it's a lot more reading; but one volume commentaries tend to be grossly shallow and unhelpful). Look at the Reformed Expository Commentary, some of the NIVAC volumes, some of the Tyndale volumes, and anything Currid, Duguid, Ferguson, Boice, and Ryken write.

I don't think there are any. However, there is the Reformation Study Bible, which is Reformed. Great place to start. What I would do is go with fairly short commentaries on individual books (yes, I know, it's a lot more reading; but one volume commentaries tend to be grossly shallow and unhelpful). Look at the Reformed Expository Commentary, some of the NIVAC volumes, some of the Tyndale volumes, and anything Currid, Duguid, Ferguson, Boice, and Ryken write.
Thank you, I have the Reformation Study Bible I like it....I just wondered if a good one volume commentary even existed...as I said I am blessed with some really great multi volume stuff and am aware that a one volume would not be really "deep"......but for my purposes if one exists it might do. Grace and Peace.:coffee:

Last edited:
It is not modern, but Matthew Henry can be had in one volume. There is also the IVP commentary.

I have a number of good "sets" of commentaries from a Reformed perspective....but now as I move into a Presbyterian setting and esp. as my wife wants to earn more......I wanted to see if you good PB Brethren might know of or reccomend a one volume commentary from a Reformed perspective. I would prefer something more modern.....but that is not a huge issue....so.....any such animal my friends?:coffee:

You would probably be better reading :book2: some of the shorter, non-technical Reformed commentaries, rather than just looking for a one-volume commentary.

Here are some suggestions:

Geoffrey Wilson's 2-volume set of commentaries on various NT books (Paul's epistles, Hebrews and Revelation) - Banner of Truth do these

Let's Study series - also from Banner of Truth, some good ones by Sinclair Ferguson, Dennis Johnston, Derek Thomas etc.

Welwynn Series - the Bible simply explained - by Evangelical Press. These include a range of authors (John Legg, Gordon Keddie, Derek Thomas, Richard Brooks, Michael Bentley, Roger Ellsworth etc).

Focus on the Bible series by Christian Focus (especially the ones by Dale Ralph Davis)

Bible Speaks Today series - most of these are very good, especially John Stott's.

Tyndale Old and New Testament Commentaries - largely very good, in particular the ones by Leon Morris.

:wave:

You would probably be better reading :book2: some of the shorter, non-technical Reformed commentaries, rather than just looking for a one-volume commentary.

Here are some suggestions:

Geoffrey Wilson's 2-volume set of commentaries on various NT books (Paul's epistles, Hebrews and Revelation) - Banner of Truth do these

Let's Study series - also from Banner of Truth, some good ones by Sinclair Ferguson, Dennis Johnston, Derek Thomas etc.

Welwynn Series - the Bible simply explained - by Evangelical Press. These include a range of authors (John Legg, Gordon Keddie, Derek Thomas, Richard Brooks, Michael Bentley, Roger Ellsworth etc).

Focus on the Bible series by Christian Focus (especially the ones by Dale Ralph Davis)

Bible Speaks Today series - most of these are very good, especially John Stott's.

Tyndale Old and New Testament Commentaries - largely very good, in particular the ones by Leon Morris.

:wave:
Thank you! I think my "deal" with the one volume thing was to have something I could put in my wifes office so she could get some real "basic" stuff.:coffee:

Thank you! I think my "deal" with the one volume thing was to have something I could put in my wifes office so she could get some real "basic" stuff. :coffee:

I think Alister McGrath has a one-volume commentary on the New Testament, but I don't know how Reformed it is. :confused:

This is not exactly what you are looking for, but there are a few Reformed study guides to the Bible - Ryken, Hendriksen, Sproul and Wolgemuth.

The IVP New Bible Commentary is probably the closest, Reformed-friendly one volume set.

This is not exactly what you are looking for, but there are a few Reformed study guides to the Bible - Ryken, Hendriksen, Sproul and Wolgemuth.

The IVP New Bible Commentary is probably the closest, Reformed-friendly one volume set.
I keep hearing good things about the IVP New Bible Commentary....I may check on that.:book2:

You would be wise to get a Reformation Study Bible for your wife, as these have brief Reformed comments in the footnotes and various explanations of theological terms throughout.

Jamieson, Fausset, & Brown have a good Commentary. I believe Zondervan put it into one Volume many years ago. It is reformed if I am not mistaken.

J,F & B was origianlly published in six volumes in from 1864-1870. Faussett was a clergyman in the Church of England, Jamieson and Brown were Presbyterians. It was highly recommended by Charles Spurgeon, a Baptist. Brown was a post-millenialist, Faussett was a premillenialist. Robert Jamieson was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on January 3, 1802, the son of a baker. A. R. Fausset was born in County Fermaugh, Ireland on October 13, 1821, the son of a clergyman. David Brown was born in Aberdeen, Scotland August 17, 1803..

Amazon.com: Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown's Commentary On the Whole Bible: Books: R. Jamieson

I refer to it often.

I keep hearing good things about the IVP New Bible Commentary....I may check on that.:book2:

Max,

The IVP editors are D.A. Carson, Gordon Wenham and Alec Motyer. Most people know of Carson, but Motyer is one of the best reformed Anglican exegetes around (sort of a modern Ryle). Get yourself a Ref Study Bible and the IVP as a start. You could also ask Steve that question.

The IVP is only $30 at Amazon: Amazon.com: New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition: Books: D. A. Carson,R. T. France,J. A. Motyer,Gordon J. Wenham

OK I happen to have the New Bible Commentary....but it was done in 1970 with the RSV while the newest has new editors and uses the NIV....I have done a little checking.....many prefer my older one," now out of print"...claiming better theology, better devotional quality. Like I say....I pick up books on sale quite often and I have a LOT of book space! Some things never get looked at. Have any of you had experience with the 1970 New Bible Commentary and is the Theology sound?:book2:

My "alloted" bump...with a focus on The New Bible Commentary esp. in regard to wheter it is 1.Reformed friendly and #2. How does the 1970 Edition, with the RSV text (which I own) compare in overall quality to the new one with new editors and the use of the NIV as the text reference.:book2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back