Good paperback books on Union with Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkmanrl

Puritan Board Freshman
I am looking for advice concerning a good paperback book on the topic of union with Christ.

I am involved in jail ministry. I can give prisoners books from Amazon, etcetera, but they must be paperback without staples.

Union with Christ by Rankin Wilbourne is an excellent book, but it's only available in hardcover.

Does anyone know a good title, written by a brother who would not be anti-Reformed, and is relatively modern, who teaches well on union with Christ?

Another chaplain aide is apparently teaching a hyper-grace view to prisoners. Believe it or not, one prisoner became angry with me for stating that a genuine faith is evidenced by obedience. I did not say it in a manner that was provocatory. As I probed deeper, I get the impression that hyper-grace teachers amongst the chaplain aides are teaching them inaccurately, and that is the source of the problem.

My perspective is that God has behavior standards for believers which would be impossible for us to meet outside of union with Christ, and this causes us to continually reach out in dependence to God, and thereby grow spiritually.

I'm also concerned that I might cause an overreaction that may worsen the problem..not sure exactly what to do, but I strive to provide books, etcetera, that counteract some of the bad teachings I sense are going on.

Maybe some pastors have some advice for me on that topic, as well..how does one guard against causing an extreme reaction in the other direction, especially on this topic?

I hope I posted this in the appropriate subforum.

Robert Letham's book has a good reputation, as does Todd Billings, both of which are available in softcover. I'd order both, if I were you, and see which one you like better. Not sure which one would be better for your context.

Its not modern per se, but this is one of if not THE best book on union with Christ: The Christian’s Union, Communion and Conformity to Jesus Christ In His Death and Resurrection, by John Brinsley (1600-1665). Its modernized in its language. No staples.

Brother, have you looked at Knowing Christ by Mark Jones? It is very devotional and theological, quoting the Puritans a lot. It takes you through all the aspects of Christ's life, in twenty some chapters. It always makes me want to worship. Our church is going through it as a book study.

Perhaps Kevin Deyoung's The Hole in Our Holiness would best meet your need? He directly addresses sanctification, concluding as you have that union with Christ enables us to live righteously. The book has an easy, conversational style. Professor Letham's book is excellent but has a fairly narrow, academic focus.

Having been involved with prison ministry, I would echo the recommendation of DeYoung's book for its fitness for that level of reader.

Thanks for all this advice, especially reminding me about Mark Jones' book. A friend of mine mentioned that to me a while back. Like Chris mentioned, there are some considerations regarding reading level. Some guys are really sharp and eager to learn, but others are disadvantaged in that way (but not in others).

I'll likely look at some of the others as I can afford the time. Union with Christ is one of my favorite topics.

The way things are administered at the facility I'm involved with, I may not see the same group of guys for a few months...they don't allow us to talk to the same people constantly for reasons of trafficking.

I'd love to create my own set of lessons. I have other projects going on, though, and it's difficult to come up with the time.

I encourage you to look at the free literature from the Chapel Library I linked to above. A wealth of free resources, and they love to give literature to prisoners, through you. They even have study courses for prisoners which are graded by others who volunteer.

Here is the order form and info for prison ministry workers, chaplains and prisoners:

http://www.chapellibrary.org/prison-ministry/

Here are the study courses they have based on Ryle, Spurgeon, Pink:

http://www.chapellibrary.org/bible-institute/course-downloads/

Ask/email for hard copies of a preffered lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back