Good Psalms for the Lord's Supper RPCNA HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
We use The Book of Psalms for Singing, what are some good psalms to accompany the Supper or to accompany the exposition of 1 Cor. 11?

Last edited:
The ones that we use the most are various selections from Psalm 113, 116, and 118. I'm sure there are many others that could be used though.

Psalm 22 Christ's death and seeing His offspring

They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.(Ps 22:31)

Psalm 24 Christ's ascension.

Ps 103

Pss 113-118 , the Hallel, was sung by Christ on the night He was betrayed:
And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.(Matt 26:30)

Anything to do with the Exodus, because the original Passover was the basis of that redemption, and Christ fulfilled the Mosaic exodus by being a greater Passover Lamb and with a greater exodus in redeeming His people niot just from Pharaoh and Egypt but from Satan and sin:
Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem. (Luke 9:30-31, NIV)

In our Church in Holland, Psalm 103 is the Psalm most often used to accompany the Supper,

it has such precious promises of God's mercy for our assurance.

Psalm 103

1Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

6The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.

7He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel.

8The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.

9He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.

10He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

11For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

13Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.

14For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

15As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.

16For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.

17But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

18To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.

19The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.

20Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word.

21Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.

22Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.

We use 116B regularly. Historically, the end of Psalm 24 "Ye gates lift up your heads on high, ye doors..." was often used in leaving the table at the end of the service.

Last edited:
My church in Colorado Springs would frequently use 118C; in Lisbon, they would use 24A.

I would make many of the same recommendations as above. And as Richard noted, Christ and His Apostles sang Psalms 113-118 on that occasion. In my mind, that invests them with a very powerful significance during sacramental occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back