Good topics to exhort on, from laity to laity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
Dear brethren, if you had an opportunity to test the speaking gifts of a young man; to have them give an exhortation at a say church retreat, what would be some good topics?

I would think 'Encouragements to Pray' would be one, another would be 'Contentment'. Any other suggestions? It would be 45 minutes long.

Among the topics I've chosen are:

Historical topics
Backgrounds to books of the Bible
Roman Catholicism (respectful but clear and firm) past and present with/without personal testimony

Many retreats have a theme; I'd ask the organizer for ideas. People are often open to encouragement at a retreat. I'd avoid a topical discussion. (Gee, John Owen was a great guy!)

If you've come from a RC background, you could organize your thoughts around a verse that emphasizes, faith alone, or scripture alone, and draw from your own experiences while you clearly exegete the passage. Make sure to show how the same errors can come from other sources so people don't tune you out.

Thanks all for suggestions, more specifically, I would want a practical, experiential topic as this is session would be a supplement to the more doctrinally heavy message (given by a minister).

For the Singaporean context: The idol of work and having a healthy work-family balance. The drive to get ahead also impedes missions because how many Singaporeans are going to go live amongst the poor (who can further their education or status that way, after all)? Singaporeans are poised to go all over Asia as missionaries...but it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back