Good vs Bad Pietism

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Doing a little searching on Pietism here and elsewhere, it seems that Pietism stresses tests of the inner life to see if one is truly saved, having proper and sincere faith or even repented enough that lead to a morbid introspection and a renewed covenant of works and preparationism. Is that a fair assessment?
Is there a good sort of pietism? Is there a balance? Were some otherwise good theologians infected with navel gazing tests (i.e. Edwards)?

This is an area I have done some reflection on because I have seen the word piety used rightly but also abused. True Piety I believe, is founded on doctrine. that is confessional Reformed doctrine. Doctrine rightly used stops piety falling into mysticism and navel gazing. However, Reformed theology needs a true piety to prevent it becoming an academic exercise of the mind only. One of the most helpful books I have seen on this is Vitringa's "The Spiritual Life". Vitringa starts with core Reformed doctrines: The Triune God, Union with Christ etc, and shows how this is worked out in practical Christian living. In general, the writings of the Puritans, and the writers of the Nadere Reformatie are great examples of Reformed piety.

"Pietism" can be used as a term of abuse. If I can adapt Bertrand Russell, "I'm godly, you're pietistic, he's a raving legalist."

I think a helpful way to look at it is that the Bible (and Reformed theology) speaks about Christ in us as well as Christ for us. Some authors focus more on one element than another, and that can proceed to the point of imbalance and detriment to their personal life of faith, as well as to their teaching. A wise person will appreciate the need for both aspects, and will learn to appreciate different teachers for what marrow and honey can be extracted from them, without needing them all to speak with one voice.

In the stock phrase "morbid introspection" there's embedded a sort of acknowledgement that not all introspection is morbid. Depending on your background and influences, there are those who need to recognize that it can be, and there are those who need to recognize that it isn't always.

There are bad forms of pietism, of course. But Ruben speaks with wisdom when he points out that not all introspection is morbid. And Jesus speaks to those who pride themselves on doctrinal superiority but fail to examine themselves when it comes to godly living: "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" (Matthew 7:3).

We need both rigorous piety AND a constant reliance on Christ alone that draws strength and comfort from his grace rather than trusting our own good behavior. It is a serious mistake to neglect either. And sadly, it is a common misconception to think we have to choose between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back