Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveb

Puritan Board Sophomore
http://earth.google.com/

This application is very cool. It uses satellite images and lets you search for locations (cities, malls, transit, etc). I'm having fun looking at my hometown in the program. The maps have good detail, it's quite amazing what you can see!

Originally posted by daveb
http://earth.google.com/

This application is very cool. It uses satellite images and lets you search for locations (cities, malls, transit, etc). I'm having fun looking at my hometown in the program. The maps have good detail, it's quite amazing what you can see!

Thanks for pointing this out. It also has a feature where you can get directions from one location to another.

Amazingly I could see the Naval base I was stationed at a lot better than I could my house. I could see the F-14s also. I use to work on them.

I've had this for a while (it's related to the industry I work in - GIS). If you zoom to Baghdad, you get some very nice, high-resolution photos. Same thing with Tokyo, London, and Paris. I haven't tried very many other cities, but I'm sure there's more out there.

What I like most is the 3D buildings. All-in-all, a cool little program.

just think this is the technology available to us civilians now... With the eye in the sky, our national security apparatus has a useful tool for keeping an eye on the bad guys like the CIA deputy chief in Patriot Games was doing, when he found the IRA in the Libyan desert... Right now, the guys at the NSA are panning their satellites over the French Riviera with an ultra-high-zoom, 5-foot above the earth zoom. And with a watchful eye and too much free time on their hands, they're making sure the beaches of France are secure...;)

What's the deal with the downloadble software... I can't get the login to work? Is it a subscription service? I have the plain Google Earth with the Plus and Pro bells and whistles? Shouldn't it work... It won't log in... the help on login seems helpess...

Originally posted by sastark
I've had this for a while (it's related to the industry I work in - GIS). If you zoom to Baghdad, you get some very nice, high-resolution photos. Same thing with Tokyo, London, and Paris. I haven't tried very many other cities, but I'm sure there's more out there.

What I like most is the 3D buildings. All-in-all, a cool little program.

The pictures of some cities (those you mention) are great. Unfortuantely not all cities have good pictures for them. Some are much better than others.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
What's the deal with the downloadble software... I can't get the login to work? Is it a subscription service? I have the plain Google Earth with the Plus and Pro bells and whistles? Shouldn't it work... It won't log in... the help on login seems helpess...

I believe only the plain "Google Earth" is free. The "Plus" and "Pro" cost money.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
just think this is the technology available to us civilians now... With the eye in the sky, our national security apparatus has a useful tool for keeping an eye on the bad guys like the CIA deputy chief in Patriot Games was doing, when he found the IRA in the Libyan desert... Right now, the guys at the NSA are panning their satellites over the French Riviera with an ultra-high-zoom, 5-foot above the earth zoom. And with a watchful eye and too much free time on their hands, they're making sure the beaches of France are secure...;)

Ever see Enemy of the State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back