Gordon Haddon Clark:Though an imperfect man,is a good guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Puritan Board Freshman
"Every Christian has the obligation of studying the Bible
assiduously,attentively,constantly,diligently,perseveringly,pertinaciously,seriously,and any other adverbs that should stimulate the indolent."

From his book on Colossians,page 129

I am at present -struggling- through his book, "What is Saving Faith". He is, most definately a blessing to the brethren. Unfortunately, based upon my challenged intellect, he is quite a difficult read for me.
:book:

"I suspect there are more who find theology too much for
their unlimited indolence."

Colossians,page 66

His comments on Colossians 1:20

"one was the sinner and the other was sinned against.
It is the latter who strictly must be reconciled,appeased,or propitiated.He alone has been angry and it is his anger that
must be turned aside.
Hence when this verse says that God reconciled the
world to himself,we see that God really reconciled himself to
the world by making peace through the blood of Christ"s
cross."

Colossians,page 51

[quote:3df77411db][i:3df77411db]Originally posted by Scott Bushey[/i:3df77411db]
I am at present -struggling- through his book, "What is Saving Faith". He is, most definately a blessing to the brethren. Unfortunately, based upon my challenged intellect, he is quite a difficult read for me.
:book: [/quote:3df77411db]

Scott,

Yes Clark can be difficult if you are looking for a quick read. I have found that I needed to read his books (I have read all the published ones to date and enjoyed them) at least twice or three times.

Jim

Quotes Only

..."the Colossians and we today are to stand firm in the faith,in the divine doctrines,and give thanks that God has
given us such information and has caused us to believe the
message.There can be no believing without something to believe.The particular belief here referred to is the doctrine of the person and nature of Christ,not excluding such other matters as effectual calling,justification,immediate imputation,
and so on.But here the position of Christ is the doctrine emphasized."

Commenting on 2:7 in his book on Colossians

Quotes only continued

"At various times in church history and in some localities,
a subjective type of mind has claimed to be superior in spirituality.This 'pietism' has found representatives in the late 20th centuty.They put emphasis on the intensity of
believing and minimize the object of belief.In some cases the object viritually disappears.'Guilt-feelings'are a cause of concern,while guilt is rather ignored.The New Testament is
more objective.Just as grace is the favor bestowed on his people,so too peace is not any subjective 'peace of mind'but
an objective peace with God.We were once his enemies;now
God has established peace.It is this objective peace with God
that Paul asked God to bestow on the Colossians."

From comments on Colossians 1:1&2

..."pietism is not pure Christianity.The gospel is an intelligible message.It includes the doctrines --and doctrine is
a good translation of logos also--of the trinity,the eternal decree,unconditional election,irrestible grace,and the rest.
Paul urges us to have a rich,abundant,extensive,knowledge
of the teachings of Christ.This is wisdom."

From comments on Colossians 3:16

From "Today's Evangelism"chapter 5:"What

"In fact,I must say that I strongly detest the hypocrisy of
evangelists who object to others preaching on controversial
themes and themselves do the same.Does it not occur to them that if our preaching is controversial because it conflicts with theirs,theirs is just as controversial because it conflicts
with ours?They make such an accusation against us so as to
deflect attention from their own methods.Now,I do not condemn controversy.The whole of the Bible is controversial.
What I detest is hypocrisy."

1 John...Commenting on 1:2

"Has not nearly everyone heard the silly cliche,'Life is deeper than logic'?Do not chapel speakers in evangelical colleges warn the students not to study too much on the ground that we are interested in a person and not a theology?...But John,particularly in his Gospel,makes such a view impossible :'the words which I have spoken to you are
spirit and are life.'...Pietistic,mystical,neo-orthodox,nondoctrinal Christianity is simply not Christianity
at all.Note that Christ very plainly said,'If anyone holds my doctrine,he shall not see death,ever.'It is the doctrine,these
words,or more accurately the thoughts symbolized by the words,which John proclaims or announces.'This is life eternal,that they should know thee,the only true God and him whom thou hast sent,Jesus Christ.'God is truth and is to be known."

I John:Comments on 2:1

"Many religious persons complain that justification,federal headship,guilt,and punishment,are legal concepts,and that legality is antithetical to grace and a religion of love.Thus these people undermine the Christian gospel.Note that sin is defined by God's law,as John will say in a few verses further on,and as Paul makes so very clear.There is nothing sub-
Christian in legality.God is a law-giver.Christians are obligated to obey the law...Christ never abrogated the Ten Commandments.The New Testament says that if we offend in
one point,we are guilty of all...The gospel is not an antinomian device for encouraging sin.Could any language to this effect have greater clarity than John's?"

I John:Comments on 2:24

"In the first place this exhortation indicates that the doctrine of the incarnation,as well as the propitiation,was taught to the new converts.Theology is not to be reserved
until converts become mature.It is theology that matures them,and this instruction must begin from the beginning.To this instruction the converts must pay attention and take care not to forget.What they heard must remain with them.They should think about it,talk about it,and even sing about it...Too many congregations today sing that grand old hymn of the church:
Climb,climb up sunshine mountain
Faces all aglow.
But Christianity is theocentric,not egocentric."

"Ephesians"1:7 Comments

"...Our election is due to God's mere good pleasure;nowhere in Scripture is election based on Christ's shed blood...although the merits of Christ are the cause of our salvation,they are not the cause of our being ordained to salvation."

"Ephesians"1:11 Comments

"The remainder of this verse is a five-fold emphasis on
predestination.This is one of Paul's favorite themes,though contemporary pastors are not in this regard imitators of Paul
as Paul commanded them to be(1 Corinthians 4:16 and 11:1).
...Few people realize how the concept of predestination
permeates the Bible.It is one of its major themes.Yet the majority of so-called evangelicals are oblivious to it,in spite of two hundred or so verses that teach it."

"Ephesians"2:8 Comments

"The Arminian ungrammatical and illogical interpretation now says something like this:'you are saved by
faith;your salvation is a gift from God,your salvation is not of
works.'But this is both weak and redundant.Compare it with the Calvinistic,logical,and grammatical interpretation:'you
have been saved by grace through faith;even that faith is not of your origination;faith too is a gift of God.'This is powerful in contrast with the vapid inanity of the other sentence."

"Ephesians"3:17,18,19 Comments

"We must be strong in knowledge in order to be filled up
to the brim with all the fulness of God.God's fulness in us
consists in knowledge...an extensive theology.Ignorant
Christians are empty,or nearly empty."

"Ephesians"4:32 Comments

"When we stop to consider how the offended God forgave
our sins by the death of his Son,we must be as hard as rock
not to forgive a fellow church member,whose sin against us
is so small when compared to our sin against God."

"Biblical Predestination"Extracts

"Arminian dependence on the human will simply makes salvation impossible.Some Arminians may have indeed been saved-- by blessed inconsistency.But Arminian preaching,such as that of the evangelist Charles G.Finney,is an unmitigated tragedy.Earlier as John Wesley sank deeper and deeper into his semi-romish,anti-biblical persuasion,George Whitefield wrote a letter of condemnation."page 95

"Arminianism...holds that God elects persons to eternal life
...on condition of their voluntary reception of grace and their
perseverance therein.This makes God's decree depend on man's independent choice and ability to lead a Christian life."
...page 100

"By freedom of the will is meant what most ordinary people mean:the absence of any controlling power,even God and his grace and therefore the equal ability in any situation to choose either of two incompatible courses of action."p113

"The idea that man's will is free,independent of God,able to turn itself in any one of a dozen incompatible directions,is
totally unbiblical and unchristian."....page 125

"...the doctrine of free will is an imposition of false philosophy on the Scripture,such that the doctrine of salvation by grace is seriously distorted...the Protestant Reformation in its return to the Scripture after a millennium of
superstition uniformly rejected the popish and heathen doctrine of free will;but a century after the Reformation this false doctrine recaptured a section of the non-romish churches."...page 144

"What Do Presbyterians Believe?"

The following are comments upon:"Of God's Eternal
Decree" page 47

"It must be made clear to ministers who profess to believe God's Word that a refusal to preach that Word is sinful...one great reason for preaching on the eternal decree
is that a knowledge of sovereignty,election,and predestination is necessary in order to understand many other doctrines...This doctrine of the eternal decree underlies not only the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints,but also that of effectual calling,the necessity and nature of regeneration,the gifts of saving faith,and in short the whole gospel."

Comments regarding "Of Providence"

"...God's sovereignty...is all-important.Calvinism proportions its emphases to those of the Bible.
[Non-Calvinists]"wish to reserve some sphere in which man can be independent of God...But such is the clarity of the Bible in its teachings on God's sovereignty that Presbyterian ministers cannot convince themselves that such people have a sufficient understanding to discharge the responsibilities of an ecclesiastical office."

Comments on :"Of God's Eternal Covenant With Man"

"A sovereign God who does as He pleases and acts for his own glory is repulsive to many modern minds."

Comments on: "Of Christ The Mediator"

"The central point of the Christian message,the point which every faithful evangelist must emphasize,the first point that a Christian should understand about salvation,is that Christ's death satisfied divine justice.Today it is customary to call this the doctrine of the atonement;but it used to be called the Satisfaction,and Satisfaction is rather the better name.
..."The immediate purpose and result of his death was to propitiate the Father's wrath by satisfying the demands of justice.That is to say,Jesus' death was pointed first toward God,rather than toward men."

W.D.P.B.:"Of Free Will"Comments Upon

"More than in any other theological discussion there is a temptation to neglect the express statements of Scripture and to depend on uninspired philosophy,common opinion,and hasty guesswork.
..."The Arminian definition of free will is usually the one that is embedded in common opinion.
..."If God cannot control man's will and make us willing to obey him,we are indeed in a sorry plight,and God is no longer omnipotent."

"W.D.P.B.?":"Of Effectual Calling"Commen

"...These doctrines form a system.They are logically connected.The doctrine of sin necessitates the doctrine of effectual calling;and the absolute need of grace rules out all human merit and what is ordinarily called free will.Calvinism means free grace,not free will.The two are logically incompatible."

"W.D.P.B.?":"Of Repentance Unto Life"

His comments:"Both faith and repentance,since they are pleasing to God and are therefore spiritually good,cannot occur before the new birth because a mna born dead in sin can neither please God,do ant spiritual good,or exhibit any process, factor,or result of spiritual life."

"W.D.P.B.?":"Of The Perseverance of the...

...Saints" page 169

"...trange that anyone who bases his faith on the firm foundation of God's Word could ever be an Arminian.The Scripture verses are too numerous to mention."

"W.D.P.B.?":"Of Assurance of Grace and...

...Salvation" Comments thereupon. page 174

"The trouble with Arminianism is that it is illogical.It retains parts of the Biblical message,but because of its unscriptural theory of free will rejects other parts...[regarding an Arminian's views]The places in which his creed differs from our Confession confuse the mind,dilute the Gospel,and impair its proclamation."

"W.D.P.B.?":Appendix:"The Reformed...

...Faith and the Westminster Confession"

"The Westminster Confession is no abbreviated creed written by men of abbreviated faith.On the contrary it is the nearest approach men have yet made to a full statement of the whole counsel of God which Paul did not fail to declare.The Westminster divines were the best biblical scholars of their time and as a group have not been surpassed since.For a full five years or more they labored unremittingly to formulate their summary of what the Bible teaches.And so successful were they that their document is justly the basis of many denominations.The factual existence of the Westminster Confession testifies to several of these convictions of our spiritual forbears...
"First, our forefathers were convinced,the Westminster Confession asserts,and the Bible teaches that God has given us a written revelation.This revelation is the truth.As Christ himself said,Thy word is truth.It is not a myth,it is not an allegory,it is no mere pointer to the truth;but it is literally and absolutely true.
"Second,our forefathers were convinced and the Reformed Faith asserts,that this truth can be known.God has created us in his image with the intellectual and logical powers of understanding.He has addressed to men an intelligible revelation and he expects us to read it,to grasp its meaning,and to believe it.God is not totally other,nor is logic a human invention that distorts God's statements.If this were so,as the neo-orthodox say,then it would follow,as the neoothodox admit,that falsity would be as useful as truth in producing a passionate emotion.But the Bible expects us to appropriate a definite message.
" Third,the Reformers believed that God's revelation can be formulated accurately.They were not enamored of ambiquity;they did not identify piety with a confused mind.they wanted to proclaim the truth with the greatest possible clarity.And so ought we."

From his book : " Sanctification "

Any activity which dominates our interest , has first place in our desires , and thus shuts God out , or reduces Him to a secondary or tertiary status is idolatry .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back