Gospel-means passages

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi friends,

I need your assistance. I'm trying to compile a list of as many, if not all, the passages in the scriptures which prove the use of the gospel in regeneration or conversion, or even men serving as God's instruments towards the same. It is possible that I might be called upon real soon to make a defense of the truth based on recent happenings in my life. I want to make sure that I will be prepared if and when this happens.

Here's a list of the ones that I know of. If you know of any, I would greatly appreciate you telling me.

John 17:20
Acts 13:47-48; 26:18
Rom. 1:16; 10:14-17; 11:14
1 Cor. 1:18,21; 9:22
Gal. 3:2
Eph. 1:13
2 Thes. 2:13-14
2 Tim. 2:10
James 1:18
1 Peter 1:23-25

Last edited:
My initial thought is that such a list could be very, very long indeed. It's almost beyond prooftexting, because the thought that hearing the gospel leads to conversion is so prevalent that it's assumed on nearly every page of the New Testament!

I could argue it's the premise behind the entire book of Acts (1:8 and chapter 2). It's the premise behind John's reason for writing his entire gospel (20:31). Ditto for Luke (1:4). It's the framework behind Mark's account of Jesus' ministry (1:14-15). And so on.

I think you have plenty of great proof texts already. Your opponents probably have a few too. The reason you're even having to argue this point is because prooftexting tends to take verses out of context, and that's where error can be made to seem right. I might suggest the way to defend the truth is to supplement your prooftexting with a look at the Bible through a larger lens. Have your opponents ever read through Acts in a single sitting? Would they be willing to study it with you, looking at how the Spirit uses the Good News to bring the nations to faith? That's a tall order, I know. But it's what comes to mind.

'Ye are clean through the word I have spoken to you, John 15:3

Of his own will begot he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first-fruits of his creatures.—James 1:18.

"...we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction." (1 Thess 1:4, 5)

I Peter 1:23,25, You have been born anew....through the Word of God....

"Spirit Alone Regeneration" may be a Primitive Baptist doctrine, but it is not a Bible doctrine.

I am dealing with some right now who claim the 1689 but hold to Primitive Baptist errors regarding regeneration.

Isaiah 43:12 (cf. Acts 1:8)
Ezekiel 36:23, 37:26-28, 39:7
Zechariah 2:10-13

My initial thought is that such a list could be very, very long indeed. It's almost beyond prooftexting, because the thought that hearing the gospel leads to conversion is so prevalent that it's assumed on nearly every page of the New Testament!

I could argue it's the premise behind the entire book of Acts (1:8 and chapter 2). It's the premise behind John's reason for writing his entire gospel (20:31). Ditto for Luke (1:4). It's the framework behind Mark's account of Jesus' ministry (1:14-15). And so on.

I think you have plenty of great proof texts already. Your opponents probably have a few too. The reason you're even having to argue this point is because prooftexting tends to take verses out of context, and that's where error can be made to seem right. I might suggest the way to defend the truth is to supplement your prooftexting with a look at the Bible through a larger lens. Have your opponents ever read through Acts in a single sitting? Would they be willing to study it with you, looking at how the Spirit uses the Good News to bring the nations to faith? That's a tall order, I know. But it's what comes to mind.

Very true Brother! Yet I will be facing those who feel that conversion is optional to the elect. In other words, a man may be regenerated yet not converted. Conversion is looked at as something that only some of the elect will receive, and it could be far removed from regeneration. Years down the road even. They would make the argument that since life is given at regeneration, then anything that happens afterwards is entirely optional! Now I know that this does serious damage to the doctrine of sanctification, but this is their doctrine.

John 20:31 will work quite well. Forgot about that one. Thanks a bunch.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

'Ye are clean through the word I have spoken to you, John 15:3

Of his own will begot he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first-fruits of his creatures.—James 1:18.

"...we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction." (1 Thess 1:4, 5)

I Peter 1:23,25, You have been born anew....through the Word of God....

"Spirit Alone Regeneration" may be a Primitive Baptist doctrine, but it is not a Bible doctrine.

I am dealing with some right now who claim the 1689 but hold to Primitive Baptist errors regarding regeneration.

Ah, David! You know a bit about me, dont' you? That's pretty interesting that you're having run-ins with similar such teaching. Would you consider them Hyper-Calvinists?

Kevin:

I wouldn't consider these men hyper-calvinist, but there is a common thread of belief among Campbellites, Landmarkers, Hardshells, Primitives, et al.

I know that they are, for the most part, useless for missions and evangelism and are often contentious men who are just not satisfied with "regular Calvinism" but want an unfiltered brand I guess and want to out-predestinate other predestinarians and out-free-grace the free gracers, to such an extent that they deny the use of means or the instrumental means by which we lay hold on Christ..

Acts 14:1- "Now it happened in Iconium that they went together to the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke that a great multitude both of the Jews and of the Greeks believed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back