Gospel Singalongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organgrinder

Puritan Board Freshman
As an amateur musician I have been in a few loosely organized bands doing gospel singalongs. Mostly it has been in nursing homes but also in other churches besides my own. I play accordion and I play the melody line. I'm told the folks like it and they enjoy the visits.

I believe in the Regulative Principle and so I'd never do such a thing for a Sunday morning service. Mostly gospel singalongs are done on Saturdays or weekdays.

Do you all think such activity is really worthwhile? I play because I like to play, not because I think I'm doing something super spiritual or anything like that. Is anyone in here involved in doing gospel singalongs? Oddly enough, my own church doesn't have that kind of ministry even though they really like their country gospel music. I could easily find senior centers to play solo in but I'm just really not sure if I should spend my time that way. What do you think?

I agree. Its entertainment. And if you enjoy doing it, then go enjoy yourself. By doing so, you may be giving a moment of joy to someone who needs it.

Our family was involved in a nursing home ministry with our church for awhile, and I know that when there was any kind of special instruments played it usually drew quite a crowd. I'm sure that you are brightening the day for many of the elderly folks when you play for them. I call that worthwhile!

I think it is a tremendous blessing, and a ministry in the sense that we all minister to one another.

I think nursing homes are great places to bring in the singing of God's praises, and truths from His Word. There are Christians there who must derive no small comfort from remembering and singing hymns with you. And there are non-Christians who are almost certainly near to meet the Lord, and your gospel singing may well be the impetus for their turn to faith.

I hope if I am ever in a nursing home such men as yourself might come by sometimes and sing. I believe it is of eternal significance and a wonderful expression of faith; and I also believe you reach employees of the home and families of the residents, as well.

When visiting my MIL I walked past the rec room on a Sunday afternoon and was significantly encouraged to see two young black men enthusiastically singing and playing gospel music for a "crowd" of five or so old white ladies. I mention their races because it was a visual illustration of the unity of God's people - races and ages and sexes. The men there were not being paid, but were volunteering their time to witness to these ladies whose sanity was questionable and who were in no position to "repay" them. They called out to me and invited me in and I can't tell you what a blessing they were.

I think it is a tremendous blessing, and a ministry in the sense that we all minister to one another.
so do I. To think of it as nothing but entertainment overlooks the terrific capacity for edifying and doing good, that good music has. If that's so even where the performers have a completely worldly mindset - as the music of Bach or Handel can totally uplift and turn the thoughts to Heavenly things whether sung by believers or not - then how much more when it's Gospel music performed by believers, with conviction!

As an amateur musician I have been in a few loosely organized bands doing gospel singalongs. Mostly it has been in nursing homes but also in other churches besides my own. I play accordion and I play the melody line. I'm told the folks like it and they enjoy the visits.

I believe in the Regulative Principle and so I'd never do such a thing for a Sunday morning service. Mostly gospel singalongs are done on Saturdays or weekdays.

Do you all think such activity is really worthwhile? I play because I like to play, not because I think I'm doing something super spiritual or anything like that. Is anyone in here involved in doing gospel singalongs? Oddly enough, my own church doesn't have that kind of ministry even though they really like their country gospel music. I could easily find senior centers to play solo in but I'm just really not sure if I should spend my time that way. What do you think?

I think there's a degree of freedom or less-regulated worship, where informal worship and culture mix.

Rabbi Duncan danced before the Lord on the Brig o' Dee when he got assurance, but he wouldn't have approved of dancing in the assembly of God's people.

David strummed his harp in praise to God on the hillside while tending sheep, but it wasn't in regulated worship.

The Apostle Paul separated the informal, less-regulated worship of the agape feast, from the regulated worship of the Lord's Supper.

Should the Psalter be the Only Hymnal of the Church?

Cotton is explicit concerning the matter to be sung:

"Wherein we hold and believe;
1. That not only the Psalmes of David, but any other spirituall Songs recorded in Scripture, may lawfully be sung in Christian Churches, as the song of Moses, and Asaph, Hemen, Ethan, SolomonHezekiah, Mary and Elizabeth, and the like.
2. We grant also, that any private Christian, who hath a gift to frame a spiritual Song, may both frame it privately, for his own private comfort, and remembrance of some special benefit, or deliverance. Nor do we forbid the private use of an Instrument of Musick therewithall: So that attention to the Instrument, does not divert the heart from attention to the matter of the Song.' (p. 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back