Gradual encroachment upon dispensationalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
JPost.com » Jewish World » Jewish News » Article
Mar. 1, 2006 4:17 | Updated Mar. 1, 2006 7:41
Falwell: Jews can get to heaven
By ILAN CHAIM

An evangelical pastor and an Orthodox rabbi, both from Texas, have apparently persuaded leading Baptist preacher Jerry Falwell that Jews can get to heaven without being converted to Christianity.

Televangelist John Hagee and Rabbi Aryeh Scheinberg, whose Cornerstone Church and Rodfei Sholom congregations are based in San Antonio, told The Jerusalem Post that Falwell had adopted Hagee's innovative belief in what Christians refer to as "dual covenant" theology.

This creed, which runs counter to mainstream evangelism, maintains that the Jewish people has a special relationship to God through the revelation at Sinai and therefore does not need "to go through Christ or the Cross" to get to heaven.

Scheinberg said this has been Hagee's position for the 25 years the two have worked together on behalf of Israel and that Falwell had also come to accept it. Falwell sent a representative to the San Antonio launch of Christians United for Israel in early February, as did popular televangelist Pat Robertson.

Hagee, who will serve as CUFI national chairman, says the new organization aims to be a kind of "Christian AIPAC" (American Israel Public Affairs Committee) through which every pro-Israel Christian organization and ministry in America can speak and act with one voice in support of Israel on biblical issues.

The main issue, following disengagement from the Gaza Strip, is not to give up any more of the Land of Israel, he said.

Many Christian denominational leaders - who represent some 30 million evangelical Christians in the US - have expressed support for CUFI in writing. These include such names as Dr. Jack Hayford, president of the Foursquare Gospel Church; Paul Walker, assistant general overseer of the Church of God; international Pastor Rod Parsley of the World Harvest Church; Benny Hinn; George Morrison; Kenneth Copland; Steve Strang; Matt Croutch of the Trinity Broadcasting Network; and former presidential candidate Gary Bauer, president of the Family Research Council.

The latter is the Washington-based lobbying arm of James Dobson's Focus on the Family.

Scheinberg said he had worked with Hagee since 1981, when the pastor first broached the idea of organizing a night to honor Israel, which has become an annual event.

"He came to the Jewish community and of course they were skeptical, they were a bit suspicious, anxious about whatever agenda he might have," the rabbi recalled. "He took public positions against proselytizing the Jews, which some of his own colleagues at that time criticized him roundly for; for example, Falwell was at that time very critical of his nonconversionary statements regarding the Jews. But that's not the case now though. Falwell has changed his position," he said.

Hagee has been consistent in this theological position, Scheinberg said, and this was reflected in both the declared policy of CUFI and at the public launch of the organization last month.

"It seemed there was a great deal of unity - not unanimity - on nonconversion, a nonproselytizing agenda, that the Jews have a special covenant, and this was stated over and over," the rabbi said.

"It was stated in Hagee's opening speech, in his opening statement, and then repeated again. And when there was a question period later, no one asked about this. It seemed to be understood that any hidden agenda, any attempt at conversion, would undermine all their efforts, would be counterproductive, and that's not what they are about.

"There was always concern on the part of the Jewish community that there's a hidden agenda now, to convert now, to proselytize now. And regarding that, Hagee was very strong in saying no, we are not proselytizing," Scheinberg said.Link

Makes you wonder why Paul and Peter spent so much time preaching to the Jews of their day. Too bad Hagee and Falwell weren't around to set them straight.

:mad:

Vic

I think the above is the natural extension of Dispensationalist thinking. Unbelieving Jews are given a special place in God's future plan. Because of this, Love and favor towards Jews are promoted as a means to accrue favor from God. "Bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you". The over emphasis on blessing the Jewish people and loving the Jewish people inevitably takes precedence over "Salvation through none other than Jesus Christ". Because of this it is easy to see how blasphemy can slip in and corrupt an already flawed system. Now Jesus is not the focus but the Jews and the End Times.

Falwell is the perfect candidate, since he promotes himself as a Christian Zionist. I don't know how one can adopt the two, but Falwell considers himself such, as well as the majority if not all of the Dispensationalists.

It also doesn't help when Dispensationalists force themselves into a political relationship with Jews either, because this always ends up in a need to not offend the other party. And guess what? Christianity always offends the unbelieving. As a result the Christianity goes through the window for the sake of maintaining the political relationship. As a result we have Evangelicals and Jews battling Muslims.

Ironically if you ask an Evangelical if Christians and Jews worship the same God, they will tell you yes, but if you ask them if Muslims and Christians worship the same God they will tell you no. The point could thus be deduced, if Christians and Jews worship the same God, as per Evangelicalism, then it also follows that both Christians and Jews are saved. (By Jews I meant unbelieving).

That's an interesting article in the 'Jewish World'. Has anybody heard Falwell actually say what they claim or read something he wrote that supports the claim? That's a pretty strong claim to say that he believes you don't have to go through Christ or the cross to go to heaven.

Not ready to jump on the band wagon just yet,
Bob

As much as I take issue with Jerry Falwell on some theological things, I would have to hear it straight from the horses' mouth, before I believed he entertained such an asinine idea. He has affirmed John 14:6 on innumerable occasions, including on air with Bill O'Reilly.

Well, now that Josh has found Falwell's denial, which was to be expected amidst the controversy... I think the brethren on the Puritanboard should refrain from any remarks about this incident that would slander Jerry Falwell.

I figured it owed more to the creativity and wishful thinking of the journalist than anyone else.

[Edited on 3-1-2006 by Puritanhead]

{whew}
Now I don't have to burn my college diploma.

But honestly that would have surprised me, at least a little, had it been true.

And I doubt he'd ever say such a thing publicly even if secretly entertained the thought (again, unlikely even for a dispensationalist), because he would sure be upsetting the donors. Men like Hagee, for all their billing as gospelers, are more dispensational than they are evangelical. Falwell seems to be the opposite (thankfully).

Thanks, Josh, for clearing that up. As Samuel Clements said, a lie travels halfway around the world before the truth gets his boots on. In our day, it goes even faster.

Vic

John Hagee says he doesn't believe in "dual covenant" theology either? Who knew? Seems like a couple years ago someone "reported" that James Dobson was retiring to tend his 'flock" in Colorado, which he found funny because he isn't a pastor. One more uban myth debunked! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back