Great Deal on the Schuyler Westminster KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Hello, brothers and sisters.

I came across an apparent special sale that Evangelical Bible is running on their Schuyler Westminster KJV. It usually runs around $175, but they are selling it now for $139. I just found this yesterday, so I have no idea how much longer they will be running it for this great price. I took advantage of the deal myself.

It is indeed a very nice Bible. I like mine a lot. My only minor complaint, and it's very minor, is that the cover still seems a little stiff. But I've had it for less than 6 months, so it might just need some more breaking in. Love the marginal notes. They're very helpful.

I noticed this as well. It seems that the success of the Canterbury KJV has overshadowed the Westminster, and hence the sale price. I still think the calfskin Canterbury is a better deal at $110. Such a beautiful Bible.

I noticed this as well. It seems that the success of the Canterbury KJV has overshadowed the Westminster, and hence the sale price. I still think the calfskin Canterbury is a better deal at $110. Such a beautiful Bible.

Is there much ghosting with the red lettering in the Canterbury?

I have a black letter edition and the paper is first rate with very little ghosting. My complaint is the self pronouncing feature is incomplete. The people and place names are laid out in accented syllables but they do not include diacritical marks. I find this terribly annoying.

Breaking nouns into syllables without the diacritcal marks is not 'self pronouncing' as far as I'm concerned. The size of the text block is very nice, with large print, though it is thick to allow that larger print. To be honest my solution to this annoyance has been to add the diacritical marks as I go through my daily M'Cheyne 1 year reading plan.

So this is good as I'm actually learning the correct pronunciation of many words that I might have glossed over if I hadn't been adding the marks. One other annoyance is that the printing is inconsistent with the syllabication. So far the majority, if not all, of the OT is completely syllablized (nouns) but the NT is only partially done. That is even more annoying.

Evangelical Bible had a previous sale on the TBS Westminster a month or so ago, with a goatskin edition, printed/bound by Jongbloed, as is the Canterbury, and @ $155.00 I went for a copy. The cover is not as limp as an Allan,but plenty soft. Perhaps more like a Cambridge. The size is very convenient, about an inch shorter than the Canterbury, and not as thick a text block, though the print is not as large. It is however plenty readable for my 68 year old eyes with my corrective lenses. I got the purple which has sort of a reddish hue to my eye, but it is very nice Bible.

I was tempted to pull the trigger on this sale, but I already have the TBS hardcover edition, which I think cost me $18.

The paper is 36 gsm, which is fairly thick, and it is also line matched, so ghosting is not too bad. I got one new in box for 72 dollars, so I was pretty pleased with the deal.

The paper is 36 gsm, which is fairly thick, and it is also line matched, so ghosting is not too bad. I got one new in box for 72 dollars, so I was pretty pleased with the deal.

That's a great deal, especially if unmarked, etc.

Having a stack of Concords (both TBS and Cambridge), the new and improved Reformation Heritage Study Bible and the TBS Westminster Reference in calfskin, I don't think I'll be springing for any new KJVs any time soon unless it is maybe some kind of unbelievable deal.

That's a great deal, especially if unmarked, etc.

Having a stack of Concords (both TBS and Cambridge), the new and improved Reformation Heritage Study Bible and the TBS Westminster Reference in calfskin, I don't think I'll be springing for any new KJVs any time soon unless it is maybe some kind of unbelievable deal.

Yes it was a great deal. The lady selling it was asking $90, but when she found out I am a pastor, she gave me an additional 20% off. Quite a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back