Greatest Male Tennis Player Ever

Who Is The Greatest Male Tennis Player Ever?

• Pete Sampras

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Roger Federer

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Other (explain why)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Federer is the better all around player. Sampras wasn't as strong from the backcourt (although he was pretty good there), but made up for that and the condition he has causing him to lack endurance with his serve. Sampras may have been the best clutch server ever.

But in my opinion the poll should have included Borg, maybe Johnny Mac, Tilden, Budge, Laver etc. Borg winning the French and Wimbledon back to back all those times was incredible and likely never to happen again.

Normally when the list is put together of greatest male tennis players, Sampras and Federer are #1 and #2. That is why I did not add other names.

Federer hands down. His shot making ability is unmatchable.

Although I love to watch Andy Roddick play. blazing fast serve

Jimmy Connors held the record for number of weeks ranked number one in the world, until that record was broken by.................Roger Federer.

Connors' 1991 run to the US Open semifinals {at age 40 beating guys in their 20's) was one of the most memorable moments in tennis history.

Jimbo was one of a kind.

Borg. After all, they named a whole race of virtually unbeatable creatures after him in Star Trek. :p

Jimmy Connors held the record for number of weeks ranked number one in the world, until that record was broken by.................Roger Federer.

Connors' 1991 run to the US Open semifinals {at age 40 beating guys in their 20's) was one of the most memorable moments in tennis history.

Jimbo was one of a kind.

Connors is the spokesman for our company...he had one of our hip replacements implanted...tennis fans may be interested to check it out:
Jimmy Connors new Wright CONSERVE® BFH® hip – for active patients

I think Federer is a much better clay player than Sampras, is a better all around player and a more dominant player. The problem is that Nadal is also playing in this era and he might be the best clay player of all time. Without Nadal, Federer would have a few French titles as well. Of course Sampras played when Muster played and he was a very good clay player himself. Nadal is a much better all around player than Muster though. In fact, without Federer, Nadal would have a pretty nice array of grand slam titles at this point.

overheard at "The Old Tennis Elbow" rest home
Ah! you kiddies! (excuse me while I put in my dentures)

See this here cane? Why, when we were children THIS was my tennis "stick"! Wasn't long before the "pros" were using panty-waist bats called "rackets"--borrowed 'em from the girlies batting their badmitton birdies!

Jimmy and Johnny--at least they were playing with those rackets barely bigger than a ping-pong paddle... remember those? J-Mac'd throw one of those things down and it would literally break! haw haw haw hardee har har (cough cough hack) Then he threw one of the new metal ones down and it bounced up into the stands. Almost killed a girl in the third row... These days, they swing a racket so big--why, anyone can hit a ball with the broad side of a barn ya know!

I'd like to see one of these fresh whippersnappers playing the hard way... like back when I was a kid...

Last edited:
overheard at the rest home
Ah! you kiddies! (excuse me while I put in my dentures)

See this here cane? Why, when we were children THIS was my tennis "stick"! Wasn't long before the "pros" were using panty-waist bats called "rackets"--borrowed 'em from the girlies batting their badmitton birdies!

Jimmy and Johnny--at least they were playing with those rackets barely bigger than a ping-pong paddle... remember those? J-Mac'd throw one of those things down and it would literally break! haw haw haw hardee har har (cough cough hack) Then he threw one of the new metal ones down and it bounced up into the stands. Almost killed a girl in the third row... These days, they swing a racket so big--why, anyone can hit a ball with the broad side of a barn ya know!

I'd like to see one of these fresh whippersnappers playing the hard way... like back when I was a kid...

:up: :lol:

I think Federer is a much better clay player than Sampras, is a better all around player and a more dominant player. The problem is that Nadal is also playing in this era and he might be the best clay player of all time. Without Nadal, Federer would have a few French titles as well. Of course Sampras played when Muster played and he was a very good clay player himself. Nadal is a much better all around player than Muster though. In fact, without Federer, Nadal would have a pretty nice array of grand slam titles at this point.

I think you're right that Federer probably would have won at least one French were it not for Nadal. Sampras did get to the semis at Roland Garros once and If I recall correctly may have won Rome or some of the other major tune ups, but overall I think his record on clay was not nearly as consistent as Federer's.

Late last year Federer and Sampras staged a 3 match Asian exhibition tour. Sampras did manage to win one of the matches during their Asian exhibition tour, proving that even 5 years after retiring he is still capable of competing with the best on fast surfaces.

Late last year Federer and Sampras staged a 3 match Asian exhibition tour. Sampras did manage to win one of the matches during their Asian exhibition tour, proving that even 5 years after retiring he is still capable of competing with the best on fast surfaces.

Do you think he retired too early?

Normally when the list is put together of greatest male tennis players, Sampras and Federer are #1 and #2. That is why I did not add other names.

In many ways this is reflective of the tyranny of the present. Lists of such athletes ALWAYS overemphasizes present players to the detriment of the great ones of decades gone by. There are so many factors in determining the "best" - including equipment changes, training regimen improvments, etc. It's almost impossible to compare anyone of Borg's era to players of today. I'd love to see Federer try to win wearing Borg's "itty-bitty" shorts and playing with a heavy wooden racquet with a head 2/3 the size of what he uses.

It is difficult to compare different eras to be sure. But what puts Sampras over the top for me is the competition he played against. And what happened to Borg? He finally got beat by McEnroe and he fell apart! Also, Federer does not have to face the competition that Sampras did.

Another question: What has happened to American Men's Tennis?

It is difficult to compare different eras to be sure. But what puts Sampras over the top for me is the competition he played against. And what happened to Borg? He finally got beat by McEnroe and he fell apart! Also, Federer does not have to face the competition that Sampras did.

It is probably worse now than ever before. Things looked bleak in the mid 80's when there didn't seem to be any successors to McEnroe and Connors but by the end of the decade you had Agassi, Chang, Sampras, Courier, Martin et. al. coming along. Roddick seems to be fading. He's a top 5 player when he is serving but maybe only top 30 otherwise. Blake is a good player but I think he is in his late 20's by now and you don't see players breaking through at that age and becoming a top player. American's womens tennis is in no better shape either, with basically only the Williams sisters.

Last edited:
Although I don't think anybody would say he was the best, Lendl deserves mention for what he did to revolutionize the game by taking fitness to a new level. He was also remarkably consistent, although he didn't always close the deal in the majors (other than in 85-87). His record of reaching 8 consecutive finals at the U.S. Open seemed insurmountable a few years ago, but Federer has now won 4 in a row. Federer also broke Lendl's record of most consecutive Grand Slam semifinals reached.

Do you think he retired too early?

He probably felt like he didn't have anything left to prove and went out a champion after winning the 2002 U.S. Open, something a top athlete is rarely able to accomplish. He had a bad year for him up to that point (he only finished ranked 13 that year) and that triumph was widely seen as his last hurrah at the time. It was the only title he had won in two years, and he had been beaten in the early rounds of many of the major tournaments in 2001-2002. Also, it's much easier to get up for one match (i.e. the exhibition vs. Federer) rather than having to slog through the draw at every tournament.

I think that Federer faces tougher competition than many realize, but because they aren't Americans few people here notice. Just because he keeps winning almost everything doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't any good. Djokovic is a really strong up and coming player who just beat Federer in straight sets at the Australian. Nadal is great as well, and alot of the Spaniards and South Americans are good as well, and not just on clay. But I also have to admit that I do not follow the game like I did in the 1980's and 1990's either.

I think that Federer faces tougher competition than many realize, but because they aren't Americans few people here notice. Just because he keeps winning almost everything doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't any good. Djokovic is a really strong up and coming player who just beat Federer in straight sets at the Australian. Nadal is great as well, and alot of the Spaniards and South Americans are good as well, and not just on clay. But I also have to admit that I do not follow the game like I did in the 1980's and 1990's either.

Nadal of course is tough. But the fact that you have to apologize for Federer's other competition proves my point. You probably do not watch tennis any more because there aren't any great rivalries out there!

Speaking of rivalries. Everett vs. Navratilova is the best ever in any sport! Those were the days...

Nadal of course is tough. But the fact that you have to apologize for Federer's other competition proves my point. You probably do not watch tennis any more because there aren't any great rivalries out there!

Speaking of rivalries. Everett vs. Navratilova is the best ever in any sport! Those were the days...

I agree that there are no compelling rivalries today that have captured the public's imagination the way you had in the 70's, 80's and 90's with Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Lendl, Becker, Agassi, Sampras, etc. Arguably one reason is that the tour is much deeper now than ever before. It is difficult to judge eras, especially going back to the early 80's and before with the smaller wooden rackets.

I vote Federer. His oft-mentioned shot making ability is the main reason. That's what a tennis player must do. Another is that in a world full of arrogant, egotistical and disgusting sports figures, he seems to be humble and a gentleman.

Johnny Mac. After watching his memorable battle with "the Borg" at Wimbeldon, I was convinced he was one of the greatest tennis players of the 20th century.

When I was in high school in the late 1960s, tennis was all the rage among the general public. But then golf took over in the 1970s and, except for the major international tournaments, tennis has pretty much fallen off the radar screen, as far as the general public is concerned.

In the same way, track and field was huge in the '60s, as I remember. But, with the rise of the NBA and the NFL since that time, track and field (except for the Olympics) has almost completely disappeared from public view.

Now, competitive checkers - now there's a sport!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back