Greatest Male Tennis Player Ever

Who Is The Greatest Male Tennis Player Ever?

• Pete Sampras

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Roger Federer

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Other (explain why)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bjorn Borg!!! Johnny Mac was a wanna-be. He will be assimulated. or else just left to grow old like the rest of us.

When I was in high school in the late 1960s, tennis was all the rage among the general public. But then golf took over in the 1970s and, except for the major international tournaments, tennis has pretty much fallen off the radar screen, as far as the general public is concerned.

In the same way, track and field was huge in the '60s, as I remember. But, with the rise of the NBA and the NFL since that time, track and field (except for the Olympics) has almost completely disappeared from public view.
Spoken like a true American! Those sports are all still huge in Europe and elsewhere.

I don't know. Those matches were the best I've ever seen. It took Mac a few years to learn how to beat the Borg, then he faded away. They were the best!!

John McEnroe. Just for the sheer joy of watching him get mad back in the day.
I "vote" McEnroe! The memories! Who can ever forger the day at Wimbledon when he had a "little" tantrum and hatchet threw his Wilson at the Chair and then nutted that poor guy in the stands with the ball he picked up and threw!:lol:

Last edited:
Bjorn Borg!!! Johnny Mac was a wanna-be. He will be assimulated. or else just left to grow old like the rest of us.

Come on. Mac schooled the Borg.

Not at Wimbledon he didn't.

I think you're thinking of their legendary 1980 Wimbledon final. Mac beat Borg at Wimbledon in 1981 in four sets, and Borg never played Wimbledon again. That's not to take away from Borg's tremendous accomplishment of winning the French Open and Wimbledon back to back from 1978-80, something no one else has been able to do even once in the entire "Open Era" (since 1968). Borg also won Wimbledon 5 consecutive times (a record Federer matched last year) and the French 4 consecutive times and 6 overall. No one else has won it more than 3 times in the open era.

Head to head, Borg and McEnroe were 7-7, but McEnroe won 4 out of the 6 times they played after the 1980 Wimbledon final, including the 1980 and 1981 U.S. Open finals and the 1981 Wimbledon final.

Borg "burned out" after the losses to Mac at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1981 but says he was ready to soldier on after taking several months off in 1982, but the ruling body in the tennis world at that time said because he had missed so much time he had to go through qualifying for Wimbledon and other major tournaments, so he retired.

McEnroe was to suffer from burn out as well after 1985, missing most of 1986. He returned, but was never able to dominate the game as he did before. Some think he was the greatest doubles player of all time.

Last edited:
The poll question was "Who was the greatest male tennis player/", not "Who was the most fun to watch?"

Those days of Borg, MacEnroe, Conners were great to watch, but none of them came close to the domination of Sampras and Federer.

Boris Becker. I just like the name "Boris". Very intimidating. That guy left it all on the court, yes? Of course, it's easier to dive around on the grass of Wimbledon than the cement in NY.

Boris Becker. I just like the name "Boris". Very intimidating. That guy left it all on the court, yes? Of course, it's easier to dive around on the grass of Wimbledon than the cement in NY.

I think he gets honorable mention at best, but yes, he did leave it all on the court at times.

It's hard to compare the new player to the greats, like Bjorn Borg, who was not only the greatest, but great to watch. They didn't have all the modern equipment back then, so it's hard to compare them. Wooden vrs modern alloys? Who knows?

It's hard to compare the new player to the greats, like Bjorn Borg, who was not only the greatest, but great to watch. They didn't have all the modern equipment back then, so it's hard to compare them. Wooden vrs modern alloys? Who knows?

However, those who played with wooden rackets played against others with wooden rackets. And those with alloy rackests had to play against those with alloy rackets. I don't think the equipment can factor into the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back