Greece and sacrifices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Another point from the lectures on Greece was that the part of the animal sacrifices the gods liked was the smoke which rose up to them. Reminds me God, who perceived the smoke of Israel's sacrifices as a sweet savor.

Seems to me that we see whatever sacrificial system that existed with Noah and after finds it echos in the ancient cultures, although, of course, perverted and made idolatrous. But some of the ideas are the same, such as the smoke being pleasing to the divine.

Originally posted by Scott
Another point from the lectures on Greece was that the part of the animal sacrifices the gods liked was the smoke which rose up to them. Reminds me God, who perceived the smoke of Israel's sacrifices as a sweet savor.

Seems to me that we see whatever sacrificial system that existed with Noah and after finds it echos in the ancient cultures, although, of course, perverted and made idolatrous. But some of the ideas are the same, such as the smoke being pleasing to the divine.

Scott,

There are a stunning number of parallels between pagan idolatry and the proper worship and doctrine of God. The more I studied Greek mythology, the more I became convinced of this.

Fred, this is a bit off topic, but I have been reading Plato's works and have noticed a number of New Testament wording/allusions throughout the writings. How is this possible? Was it that the translator of Plato happened to be influenced by the New Testament and translated similar words that way, or perhaps that the New Testament writers used the words/allusions from Plato? This confused me and caused me a bit of consternation. Any suggestions.

BTW-I don't have any particular examples from Plato off the top of my head
"In Christ",
Bobby

Originally posted by Preach
Fred, this is a bit off topic, but I have been reading Plato's works and have noticed a number of New Testament wording/allusions throughout the writings. How is this possible? Was it that the translator of Plato happened to be influenced by the New Testament and translated similar words that way, or perhaps that the New Testament writers used the words/allusions from Plato? This confused me and caused me a bit of consternation. Any suggestions.

BTW-I don't have any particular examples from Plato off the top of my head
"In Christ",
Bobby

Bobby,

Without an example, it is hard to say. It has been some time since I read a good deal of Plato - maybe 10 years. My guess would be either what you cite, or the "imitative" factor that Scott suggests.

If you come across something, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back